News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: getting rid of stuff  (Read 2001 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
getting rid of stuff
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:27:51 AM »
Since I like practising what I preach, in the last couple of weeks I have been purging my wardrobe of all the stuff that has been lingering there for ages. I have been taking it to the charity shop. for the next.....3 months,or until everything I don't wear is out of the house and all my clothes have been washed/dry cleaned/ neatly hanging in my wardrobe/ jumpers all packed in bags with lavender sachets... I am not allowed to buy anything  ...well maybe the odd accessory. I am determined that I will turn over a new page and only purchase clothes according to the foolowing rules
  • must fit perfectly
    must be flattering
    must be good quality and therefore long lasting
    must fit in with everything I've got.
    must be comfortable to wear preferrably in natural fabric

ain't I boring?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: getting rid of stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
Not boring at all - you're smart! :grin:
I use these criteria when I shop for anything, and it weeds out the "almosts" one is very tempted to buy. You know, the things that could work if the cut was just a tad better, or the fabric is almost there in terms of quality, or the color is not able to be remedied, or some detail is just off, all of which conspire to have the item end up at the back of the closet because one just ends up not wearing it, but sometimes can't figure out why. But so many times, if we're not paying attention we go ahead and purchase because hey, it's on sale, or a steal at the thrift/second-hand store! This is how people end up with piles of clothes that were "a great deal", and still have "nothing to wear". Nothing's a great deal if one doesn't wear it. If one really implements the new criteria all the time, one will end up with far fewer clothes, etc. but ones that suit one perfectly, no matter what one's price point.
I'm so in agreement with getting rid of stuff - both my husband and I get a "getting-rid-of-stuff" high instead of the well-known shopping high :lol:

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
Darlin' your are my kind of boring!  

There seems to be a theme here at TTB this spring, especially important in these financial times.  We don't need to spend lots of money to be fabulous and beautiful.  We just need to make great choices.

I'm doing this too - switching my wardrobe to a new climate, and a smaller size *yay*, and a new vision of me.  It takes discipline and awareness and vision, but if we stick together, we can make our Beauty Timeless.   :gl:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
Changing sizes has been the catalyst for me to clean out closets as well.  I still don't have everything important replaced, but one thing for sure - it doesn't take long for me to decide what to wear each day!  So much of what I donated was really outdated or unflattering, too.  I just kept it because I didn't have a good reason to get rid of it, I guess.

Spring is the best time for all of this reorganization, and I adore your phrasing, Poppy...keeping our Beauty Timeless is our slogan for the season!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
Milla-- sounds great! You are inspiring! Smart, chic, and classic-- not boring at all.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
And this reminds me-- I need to do another go-round of my closet in time for spring cleaning. Several sweaters will be on their way out, after not having worn them all winter.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
Good point - I never wear sweaters any more anyway.  I get too warm in them.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
I generally keep and wear sweaters for years.  I wore one for 14.  :grin:
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
When I find a sweater I love, I wear it for years, too. But sometimes I find nice ones in thrift stores that I can't resist (especially if they are cashmere), even if the color or fit isn't quite right. Out they go! And I'm not buying any more.
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
I guess I don't live in a cold enough climate.  I can't justify keeping things that I might wear only once a year.  I can understand weeding out the pieces that don't quite make it for me, though.  As long as I have something I like better, that is what I will wear every time!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 05:36:22 AM »
Milla, if what you have is catching, please please sneeze my way!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Anita

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I, too, have been going through a period of downsizing my closet.  It is a great feeling to clean out the stuff I haven't worn in ages. 

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
It must be something in the air this year - we're all doing this, apparently.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:39 PM »
Not only that but I dared to send an invite out so that (should all show up, and they won't) 29 other girfrens will show up on Saturday after THE WEDDING OF THE CENTURY to watch what I've DVRed and hang out all day.

I am now forced to get stuff thrown out.

Fear is the best motivator for moi.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:41 AM »
Oh, my heavens!  You really know how to put the pressure on yourself, don't you?  It sounds like a fun day for everyone who comes - just hide anything you don't get rid of in time.