News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Soft Surroundings  (Read 1686 times)

linc2

• Platinum Member
Soft Surroundings
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
Anyone ever order from them? I receive their print catalogue several times a year and have been tempted several times to order. The clothes look SOOO comfy.

Anyone have any experience with them? Any recs for some good pieces?

http://www.softsurroundings.com/
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Soft Surroundings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »
I have never ordered their clothes, but I have bought from their outlet of beauty products.  Service was excellent as I recall.  Occasionally they send me a sale code, too.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
I have been receiving catalogs from Soft Surroundings for years.  Those flowing long skirts tempt me greatly - I love the feeling of a gorgeous fabric swishing around my legs.  But I really don't see how they would fit in my lifestyle.  *sigh*

I have ordered a nice batik printed, sequined, beaded top from them a few years ago.  I felt dressy and unique in it (I lost weight, and it no longer fits).  So I would order from them in confidence again.  I have my eye on the crossover top, now that it comes in a longer length, and someday I'll order one. 
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:50 PM »
Same as Makinalist.  I got some T LeClerc powder at a steal.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
I scored a Julie Hewett palette that was theirs exclusively. 

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
Looks like a place to keep an eye on for special HE makeup. I didn't actually look at that section.

Poppy, on the subject of the crossover top. Do you mean the ballerina top? It looks very well constructed and fitting, with great colors. But I wasn't sure about the V neck and V back, whether it's "too much V."

Still searching for this summer's V neck, 3/4 sleeve Ts that fit well (not boxy), come in a load of colors, and hold up during washing. Some lycra is desirable. Chicos changed their cut last summer (to a deeper V in the front) and now they don't seem to carry that sort of thing at all). I ordered a couple of the V neck, 3/4 sleeve interlocks from LLBean yesterday.....we'll see how they look. Anyone have a favorite source?

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
Yes, Linc that the one I'm referring to. It gets good reviews on the site.  Please report back about the LLBean.  Why is it so hard to find a flattering V neck that has some shape but is not tight?

Something between a sack and a swimsuit?   ???

I became interested in the SS version when they lengthened the top.  Being tall and well endowed, I need a top at least 25 inches long, or I look like a cube on legs.   :rollseyes:  My top must be longer than I am (look) wide, in other words.

I love that Eddie Bauer has tee shirts in tall.   :clap:
Its getting harder to find a substantial cotton tee, as well.  So much of it is that 'tissue tee' which does not hide any bumps or bulges.   :eek:
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Poppy, I bit the bullet and ordered two of the ballerina from SS. I'm so glad you mentioned that you do well with the longer length. I'm the opposite end of the spectrum (5'2"), so I ordered the original length, which should hit me mid hip. Actually, it made no sense to order two, since shipping is pro-rated for the size of the order....oh well, too late now. I ordered black and the greenish-blue (forget the name).

I also ordered the SS Naples shirt and the Outer Banks shirt in mango and pink, respectively. The whole dang order may need to go back, or maybe not....

Will report back on the LL Bean V neck 3/4 (ordered two colors) and the LL Bean boatneck 3/4 (two more colors). Some of this is bound to go back, but at least we don't pay shipping with Bean. I'm happy to try again on color if fit is good.

Yeah, I also love V neck 3/4 for summer, find it overall more flattering than short sleeve or elbow length and almost as cool. So, why is it so hard to find one that fits well? The old Chicos was perfect on me, but no longer exists....I'll keep babying the ones that I have.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
I'll be watching for your report, Linc.   :gl:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
I think the LL Bean shirts will be substantial enough.  I have had problems with Eddie Bauer tees being too thin.  Land's End is okay, too.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
Lands' End has both kinds of tees - the newer modern cuts are thin and the traditional, more boxy tees are the heavier knit.

I want the shaped V-neck tee in the substantial fabric cut 27 inches (+/-) long.   :catfight:

not that I"m fussy....

The tank tops at JJill are nice and long.   :clap:  I loaded up on them this year, as my older Lands' End tanks are too short to flatter me.

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
Well.....the Soft Surroundings order arrived. I had a feeling that the whole thing might be going back. And it is did. Oh well, this experiment cost me two-way shipping, but lesson learned. (Wait, have I not learned that lesson before?  :puzzled:)

The ballerina top is definitely very substantial, great quality. However, the double V neck (front and back) was not flattering on me, it was too much. Also, the front V was too deep for my taste, despite the cross-over front. I would be constantly tugging at the crossover to keep the V in place. Also, getting into this thing was like wrestling an alligator (or something!) -- there are two arms, two Vs, the front and back bodies, and the cross overs. It was tiring to put on. Heck, it was even tiring to fold and get back in the package.

Neither of the linen shirts worked either. They were nothing special.

I typically don't do well with cold-ordering clothes on the internet. So I should have known better.

Actually, I feel good about it. Everything went back UPS on Saturday, and I didn't add clothes to my closet that would never get play.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:48 PM »
Some things are best done quickly, and returning an unfortunate order is one of them!  Good job.  They have one of those catalogs that makes everything look so graceful and elegant, but you probably need to be six feet tall for the clothes to look like that.

Bet they wouldn't work on me, either. :D

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Also, getting into this thing was like wrestling an alligator (or something!) --

:rofl:  Ooh my, that can't be good.   :lol:  Sorry it did not work out. But how else are we gonna know what works unless we try?  Yes, you had to pay for returns, but its a whole lot easier to flip through a catalog or website when you are relaxing than to spend a whole day digging through a store, bringing home the best you found, then discovering its really not good enough.

But I thank you for your good reporting, linc.

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »

Still searching for this summer's V neck, 3/4 sleeve Ts that fit well (not boxy), come in a load of colors, and hold up during washing. Some lycra is desirable. Chicos changed their cut last summer (to a deeper V in the front) and now they don't seem to carry that sort of thing at all). I ordered a couple of the V neck, 3/4 sleeve interlocks from LLBean yesterday.....we'll see how they look. Anyone have a favorite source?

I love this type too!  Ann Taylor used to make a great cut with a very pretty/ shallow v-neck, but I can't find them this year.  Talbot's does a wonderful 3/4 sleeve "ballet" top, but I think this year the neck is only a wide crew/narrow boatneck-- very pretty, but not a v.  Their v-neck is only in long sleeves the last time I checked. 

I found my perfect 3/4 v-neck at glima.com.  Perfect because I loved the colors, and couldn't find them anywhere else (Lands End doesn't do " autumn" colors at this time of year I guess.)  The Glima tops are still made in the US!!!  Couldn't believe it.  Check their sale and discounted stuff, and they sometimes have great sales if you get on their email list (which I did after ordering the first batch). Very high quality cotton and finish, and a great source of unusual colors.