News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?  (Read 7939 times)

linc2

• Platinum Member
Re: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
I don't know about re-use but halleluiah, I am organizing up a storm!  I just stored over 20 pairs of good cool season slacks in one bag like a pancake.

I see space.  It's hard to believe.

Note: TWENTY, yes TWENTY pairs of cool season slacks. Let us not miss the main point of Coug's legendary wardrobe. And you know they're all gawjus!
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
I can't fit a leg into them anymore  :lol:

I might try and sell them.
I might give them away.
I might lose weight and wear them again.

But for now, I got space back in a guest room!!!
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
I donated everything that did not fit me, and it felt wonderful!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
I tried Space Bags or something similar and found that they weren't reusable. They worked great the first time around though and the seal lasted until I needed to get into them so they would probably be good for long-term storage.

With all the "buy now and we'll DOUBLE your order" ads right now, and especially when space is tight, I think they are worth the investment once a year. Thanks for mentioning these as I've seen the ads but not put 2 and 2 together to realize that I have a real need for them!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »
I *finally* took a load of warm season purses/shoes to the 2nd hand store.  She said it's late in the season, so I can only hope some of it sells.  But I feel better.

A friend has been helping me sort through the loads of clothes I'm no longer wearing.  This weekend I hope to take a load of cool season clothes (clean) into the cleaners for pressing and hanging.  They start taking the cook season clothing at the store starting in September.  My friend explained I don't have to have everything dry cleaned ... just pressed (assuming they're clean).  This was a huge obstacle removed from my thinking process.

They mark down your items after 30 days.  Then if they don't sell after 60 days, you can pick them back up or they donate to charity.

Finally I am doing something about this problem.
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
So far, the 2nd time around using the Space Bags is working.  This is related to my recent post about being overwhelmed.  I am trying this weekend to deal with the warm/cool season clothes swap and so far, so good.

Now, I bought more boxes of Space Bags ... where the heck did I put them?
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
Still cold here so the winter clothes are still in use. But, I do love space bags!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »
Well, this is a very old topic for TTB but not in my life! DH and I have finally caved and conceded that we are not able to tackle our home on our own. We raised the white flag of surrender and hired someone who helps clean and organize. She has been here twice and our living room, dining room, and kitchen look like new rooms! She rearranged things in all 3 rooms (very much to my liking!) and everything sparkles - and all in just 4 hours.

However, the real challenges lie ahead. I have enough knitting and sewing stuff to fill a room and, actually, I have a room for just for those things. But I haven't figured out how to arrange that room nor have I assembled everything into that room. Instead that room has antique furniture in it along with my dirty laundry and other hobby stuff. To be sure, it has a lot of yarn in it, too. But my sewing stuff is in our sun room and my office and I have knitting stuff in the sun room, office, and bedroom. So I have work ahead of me to get it all figured out - with her help of course.

She's such a gem, too. She was out and about over the weekend and took pictures of some reasonably priced organizers. One of them I like well enough to consider using for all of my knitting and sewing notions - needles, threads, and the like. Perhaps once we make sense of all of my stuff we'll even figure out how to add this extra piece of furniture into the mix!

I consider this money very well spent. I'm supporting a local member of the community who is very good at what she does and I'm finally seeing my home become what I had long hoped for. And it's so much easier to maintain once it's been cleaned and organized!

To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
How wonderful!  I bet waking up to a neat & organized house gives you both a peaceful state of  mind too.

My husband just brought home (another) piece of junky old furniture he found on the side of the road.  It now sits in our over-flowing garage, & will now be our headache to throw out.  :gaah:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
Styyna, that's wonderful. I would love to have a tidy, clutter-free house to wake up to every day! I'm the organizer/curator of our stuff; Mr. G really doesn't care, or even seem to notice. (Don't ask about the garage -- or "his side" of the basement!   :sigh: ) After 33+ years of marriage, I don't see that changing, either. My problem is catching his Apathy Vibes. I plow through when I can!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
Oh, how wonderful, Styyna!  Good you fo you!  Sometimes, it takes just a few hours of help to motivate you further.  I'm still working on my "makeup and hobby" room. It's really a big task but I'm still up to the challenge.  I did a little last weekend and also decluttered one of our bathrooms.  It's amazing what get stored far back into the cabinet below the bathroom sink. I found lotions that I've not seen in 3..4..5 years, maybe.  :lol: Let's just say, the bag of stuff I took out was so heavy that I had to take a rest on the way to the trash can!  My house is losing lots of weight. If only it was that easy for me to shed the unnecessary pounds!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
I can't say how excited I am to see organization coming to our home. It's amazing how helpful another, expert point of view can be. She sees everything in different ways from me and has rearranged things in every room she has touched. We're moving furniture from room to room even!  We are halfway through transforming a spare room into a craft room for knitting and sewing and turning our sun room into a truly pleasant space in which to hang out. Up to now both rooms have been filled with knitting and sewing stuff in no semblance of order.

Maintaining is so easy now, too. In the rooms we have completed I know where things belong and it's easy to spot what's out of place and address it immediately. It just takes a moment to restore order.

Her name is Lori but I think of her as my angel. She's always cheerful and energetic and welcomes my help but doesn't expect it. In fact, even though she'd never say so, most of the time I feel like I'm in her way. All she's really wanted from me is help identifying what goes into which room.

Anyway, once we're finished I will take some pictures and, allowing for the fact that my photography skills are nil, if any turn out I'll share. I'm sure I have some befores to share, too.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 06:06:09 AM »
Styyna, I am happy for you, but a bit envious, too.

Clutter and stuff reign at my home. I feel paralyzed, not able to do anything, as there is much too much to do. It feels hopeless. I´d love to have a clutter-free home. Sigh. There is no way I could afford a professional organizer / de-clutterer, to say nothing about the fact I would be too embarrassed to let anyone in!  :-[
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
Anne - When I realized that we lived with what the FlyLady called CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) I knew it was bad. I tried some of FlyLady's ideas but found them too restrictive for me and I wasn't seeing enough progress to stay motivated. I can see returning to FlyLady routines once our house is clean and organized though.

As for the embarrassment factor, each time I introduce our cleaning angel to another room I kind of cringe but I've learned to get over it in a hurry. If it weren't so bad I wouldn't need her in the first place. I'm willing to eat humble pie in exchange for the delightful results.

And the cost - we can't really "afford" it but we also can't afford not to in a way. Both DH and I have been depressed by the condition of our house. We started in this house with way too much stuff (we got married shortly after moving in so we had his stuff, my stuff, and my parent's stuff because my father passed away just before we bought this house) and even two weeks of setting things by the curb with a big Free sign plus giving away some furniture wasn't enough to declutter and organize our space. In the 11 years we've lived here I've never felt like I got a handle on matters and as a result I've had a hard time thinking of this as home. That's part of why we wanted to buy a new place last year.

And we still don't want to live our lives out here so now is the time for us to get the house in shape, while we can enjoy it and we aren't rushed or forced to get it ready. I think we will probably live here for a few more years but who knows. I'd love to live closer to my kids and family and DH and I have had a hard time fitting into this small village. Plus the few friends we've made are like us and making plans to move away over the next few years themselves.

So, I see the cost as necessary. Because of elderly special needs pets we can't take vacations together so I see this as our vacation fund being spent making it pleasant to be tied to home the way we are. It's also far less expensive than I expected. Lori, our angel, is very good at what she does and she moves quickly. She "sees" possibilities that have never occurred to me and is able to bring order to more stuff than I thought possible. She takes a jumble of things and makes them look attractive.

And the maintenance is so much simpler and easier. Things that are out of place jump at me now and it's easy to tidy up when things have a place where they belong.

Now, there is one room that I believe I am going to have to tackle on my own and that's my office. It's a jumble of personal and business paperwork, computer equipment, a cosmetic vanity, a shelving unit with a huge mix of stuff on it, and boxes everywhere. Plain and simple, that room needs decluttering of the kind that disposes of things. I might even have to pare down my makeup collection (and a collection is what it is so paring it down shouldn't be too difficult). That room is the one with a couple of paths, one to my computer and one to my vanity.

So, while you might not be willing to open your house to a cleaner or perhaps you can't afford it, you could join me in about a week in decluttering one room. We could take before and after pictures and share progress reports. It would be fun for me to know that someone else was going through an entire room and tackling the hard stuff as I did so. You might be so pleased with the outcome of tackling just one room that you start the ball rolling. Or you might simply create one peaceful room that is your haven from the rest of the house. You could choose a personal room, like my office, or you could choose a living room. I will say that the living room was the easiest room in my house for Lori to do. She started there and did most of it and the dining room in 2 hours and that included cleaning floors (we have wood floors throughout). And did I mention we having shedding pets so there was a lot of fur to be cleaned up, too.

What do you think? Want to join me next week and take on a room? I'd love the "company"!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »
That is a friendly idea, but it would take much longer than a day to clean up a whole room for me! I might be able to do one square metre or something......

Also I go to work tomorrow and will work for seven days in a row. Usually I am useless after my workday.  :-\

We only have two rooms and a kitchen/ette, but we do have lots and lots of stuff. Most of it I want to keep but yes, there might be lots that I could throw or give away, too.

I´ll thin about your kind suggestion. I do think I will need to start small, though.

• Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.