News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?  (Read 7225 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »
I'm still working on my makeup room, Anne. I don't expect to get it done even in a week I work and days, like today, I'm just mentally and physically out. But, I take baby steps but I  have truly committed myself to do it. I make an effort to throw something out each day. It could a piece of paper or an old pen but when I'm tired after work, throwing something out that doesn't belong in the room or house just makes me feel like I am getting closer to my goal.

Like everything else, the first thing to throw or give away is the hardest. But, once you do it and you see results, it can be addicting.  :lol:

• Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »
Please don't misunderstand, Anne. It will take me days to get through my office! And I don't have a full-time job to occupy a lot of my time.

It would totally be appropriate for you to start small. Maybe as small as SusieQ has suggested. I like her idea of starting by just finding one thing per day to either toss or otherwise deal with. And I agree that the first thing you get rid of will be hard. My office is full of things that I know I'm going to have to part with and some of them will be very hard at first. But that's why I have to take the lead on that room. Only I can make those decisions.

So, if you want to give it a whirl - on a small scale - in tandem with me the idea is still out there. I start next week but I only have Monday and Wednesday to work on it next week. I have a business trip out of town on Tuesday and I'm taking a long weekend in celebration of Mother's Day here in the US next weekend. I'll be back at it again the following Monday and then I'll stick with it until I finish, possibly the entire week since I can only do so much at a time before I have to take a break. (Did I mention that my office is a real disaster? :) ) Plus I have to put some serious time into knitting starting this weekend if I'm to finish a shawl in time that I am making as a gift.

I don't want you to feel pressured though. If it feels right, great! If not, don't feel badly. The time just might not be right for you. It took me a lot of false starts and a lot of frustration before I finally reached the point that I'm at. I used to smoke and I liken reaching the point where I'm willing to do whatever it takes to reclaim my living space to quitting smoking. I had to be ready and I had to do it for myself. You'll do it in the right time for you. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
Anne, I can join the de-clutter club, too!  I usuallly don't get home until 5:30pm since I shop for food each day. It helps with de-cluttering.  I'll take pictures of my wonderful makeup room and post it and this is after I've have several days working thru this room.   :eek:

On Saturday, I tossed a few lipsticks that looked kinda bad. I think I purchased them early on before TTB. That's over five years!

Each time I hold something in my hand, I ask myself, "Do I need this? When was the last time I saw or used this?" And, these questions usually make it easy for me to toss.  Sentimental value you should keep but as years pass, some memories I found are better kept in the heart and in my mind.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »

Each time I hold something in my hand, I ask myself, "Do I need this? When was the last time I saw or used this?" And, these questions usually make it easy for me to toss.  Sentimental value you should keep but as years pass, some memories I found are better kept in the heart and in my mind.

All priceless words of wisdom, especially those that I bolded. Sentimental value is the hardest to weigh but I'm fast reaching the point where I have to make some hard decisions about things that are only of sentimental value. I simply can't keep all the things so some will have to find new homes or otherwise go away. Soon both of my sons will own their own homes so perhaps I can pass some along to them. :)
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
As I go the room, I do tackle the items that I know don't have much in terms of sentimental value.  I think of an onion and I tackle the room just like that. It's layer by layer.  And, when I get frustrated, like tearing up when I'm cutting an onion, I step back and try again tomorrow. 

It took years to get to this point and I don't even think I can do it in a month. But, as long as I committed myself to it, I intend to see it through. I've also adopted the "one in one out" rule.  Let me tell you that one really keeps you on your toes!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
You've got the process down, SusieQ. You know what you're doing, how you're doing it, and when. You have set reasonable goals for yourself and left some wiggle room.

"One in, one out" is definitely a rule in our home now. And, in some cases, more than one item has to go out for one coming in. For example, I'm in the process of buying a dress and shoes for my son's wedding and I've decided that when I settle on a pair of shoes and a dress, I will go through all of my shoes and clothing and purge. I can't wait to do that, to be honest. But I'm still waiting for shoes and dresses I've ordered to arrive and I have my office to tackle as well. I will stop on my office if necessary to do the shoes/clothing purge once I settle on a dress and pair of shoes though.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
My clothes will be the last thing I will purge.  But, like you, Styyna, I am kinda looking forward to doing that.  :)

Don't forget show and tell what your dress and shoes come in. I can't wait to see them!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:07 AM »
I come very late into this conversation , hope you don't mind me butting in...When it comes to cluttering I am always up for it! since I retired , though , I have been doing it with the zeal of a true believer and I have got rid of a lot of stuff, but there are still cupboards and drawers that need sorting out. For me, the main thing is getting my DH to agree to some building work and decorating and that is a real challenge because he does not like the upheaval. I want to do it before we turn 70, as I don't want to be involved in major building projects in my 70s.
I also would like to replace some furniture; again; this is going to cost money...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2015, 05:37:12 AM »
Welcome to the conversation!

What kind of building work do you want done, Milla?

Yesterday was amazing! Lori, my cleaning angel, came again and this time, among other things, we went through closets. She insisted that we go through all my hanging clothes and decide what to keep and what to donate. It was so much easier to do with someone there! She held up each item and we discussed size primarily. If it doesn't fit now, out it went. Then, bless her kind heart, she loaded up all the donation items into her van to deliver to a donation site for me. There were 3 huge bags of linens and clothing and a box of shoes that left the premises. My closet is quite bare but at least I know that everything in there fits me and I will wear it.

As for furniture, we need new furniture, too, but are waiting for our old dogs to pass before we buy anything else. I did get DH a really nice recliner for Christmas this past year and fortunately the only pet to try sitting in it is our cat who doesn't have front claws and is light on his feet. The dogs leave it alone, preferring our futon/couch which has a cover that I can remove and wash as needed. And, yes, new furniture requires money...plus we are still planning to move away from this area within the next few years so between pets, money, and moving, it just seems best to hold off for now.

On another note, one of the biggest problems we've had to deal with is the shedding of one of our dogs. She develops a huge, thick undercoat of very fine white fur every year and once it starts to shed it sheds for about 10 months. That process will begin any day now. She has always hated being brushed but I did a lot of research and ordered a new brush that she at least tolerates. So I'm hopeful of reducing the amount of fur that accumulates around and under our furniture and in every nook and cranny of our home. I'm even optimistic enough that I might try wearing black clothing for the first time since we got this dog! I'll still have lint rolls all over the house of course.

I'm really loving spring this year. I feel like I'm turning over a new leaf and making real progress!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 03:34:46 AM »
Sorry I did not answer straight away, I’ve been de-cluttering the garden!
You made the right decision in getting some help, it is money well spent because things will get done faster than if tackled it on your own. Also, our mess always looks worse than everybody else’s and I am sure that your angel will re-assure you, she is bound to have seen a lot worse…
As for me, I would like to knock down the backroom, pompously known  ‘the conservatory’,  and build a proper conservatory; however, DH reacts to the expression ‘knock down’ in the same way as a nervy person would react to ‘the Martians are coming!...and they are not bringing cake’. Therefore I have settled for getting rid of the wood –cladding on the walls, which has seen better days, replacing the windows and re-tiling the floor. He has agreed on that, providing he can go fishing while it’s being done; but we haven’t got a date yet.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
Fishing?! Sounds great to me! :D

I have to ask, what is a proper conservatory? I've heard of a conservatory but not, I think, in someone's home.

Whatever it is, your plans sound like you will have a new room anyway. I hope you are able to get underway with it soon as the sooner it's started the sooner you can begin to enjoy it.

Decluttering your garden is a good project for this time of year. I hope it is going well for you and that it's something that you enjoy.

Ours, just like the interior of our home, requires a professional or at least a good handyman and we haven't been able to find one.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
A conservatory is a room with a glass roof and sometimes glass walls,  usually at the back or at the side of a house.
Below  are some pictures of our glorified lean-to: the utility area, the breakfast/lunch area and the view from the garden. Our kitchen is  small and we have no garage, so we have to keep some of the appliances in here, but we don't really need a sink, because there is a big sink in the kitchen.
In my plan,  the washing machine, dishwasher and fridge would be hidden away in streamlined units, the horrible wood-cladding would go to reveal the brick and the floor would also be replaced by lovely tiles! The door needs replacing too...Now you can see why I just want to knock the whole thing down and start again!. We have lived here 25 years, the extension was probably built 35 years ago. It is actually one of the nicest bits of the house because it gets all the light and the sun. I start all my plants there, in little pots; it is the perfect nursery for new seedlings.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 05:19:23 AM »
What a charming room! It sounds and looks like more than a "glorified lean-to". I understand wanting to reveal the brick walls - I have a hunch doing so will go a long way toward restoring some of the room's original appeal.

It does sound like the room is going to get a pretty big overhaul and I can understand wanting to start over from the ground up. Have you considered what you would do differently with the room if you started it all over? While you'd have the cost of tearing down the existing structure, the cost of rebuilding the whole room might not be that much more than renovating the existing room. It seems like renovations always uncover unexpected problems that add to the time and cost.

No matter what you do with the room, it will be lovely. You have impeccable taste and a green thumb so you will have a useful, lovely room to retreat to.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »
This is the sort of thing that I would like (see below),  in terms of the walls and the floor  (the furniture could be different). We could also make it slightly bigger without taking a lot of space from the garden. I am sure it would look great and add value to the house, but convincing DH is another matter. We also know a very reliable builder and we would not need planning permission. I feel so frustrated.  :cry:

http://housetohome.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/96/00000f85d/2074_orh550w550/Conservatory121.jpg

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »
Hmm...adding value to one's home is usually a pretty powerful incentive for stubborn DHs. Is he aware that starting over will probably not take much more time than renovating? Or mess? Or discomfort? Of course you don't want him to decide that he doesn't want anything done so you can't make renovation sound too bad.

I love the walls and floor in the room in the picture. If you can achieve those two things in your existing room you will have come a long way toward replicating that room. Plus, didn't you say you were going to put in new windows? You know that new windows don't necessarily have to be the same size and shape as what you currently have, right? Though if the underlying walls are brick it might be hard to adjust the opening but not impossible.

I understand the frustration you are feeling. Our kitchen badly needs new countertops but DH is absolutely opposed to having them done. The existing countertops are coming loose and they are white while our cabinets are antique white. Oh well. When it comes time to sell this house he is either going to have to put in new countertops or reduce the price to accommodate them.

One final note that you may or may not want to share with your DH: We added a new room to our house several years ago. During the construction we discovered that our roof and exterior siding needed replacing. One thing led to another and we ended up replacing a number of windows, adding new gutters and fascia, and a number of other smaller items. Building the room itself was the easiest part of the whole project. It went faster than all the other items. It was the least messy and noisy. Even when there was a gaping hole in the side of our house it wasn't bad as they kept it covered up with plastic except when they were working on it. Hands down, the new construction was the easiest, cleanest part of the whole expensive project.
-SilverCrown