News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?  (Read 8157 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Ideas for turning a mess into a home, please?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
Result! We went down to the coast today for a stroll by the sea, the weather being quite pleasant at the moment, and I thought it was a good time to discuss the ‘Conservatory’. To my surprise, DH was very positive and even said that the door should be replaced. He also wants to have some lighting in the garden. I did not mention getting rid of the sink and getting new units, because I thought it would be pushing it a bit too far. We will do it this summer (July-August) provided the builders can fit us in. I know I said I would like to knock it down, but on second thought, there is nothing wrong with the structure, it just needs a re-vamp. They say that the sea air gives you an appetite and in this case it also blew away my dearest one’s phobias. I am going to phone  the builder tomorrow!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
Hooray! What a wonderful walk that was. You showed good restraint not bringing up the sink and new units just yet. When the builder comes you might be able to inquire about those things and, in the overall picture, they might seem quite reasonable.

I hope the builder can fit you in this summer!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
Progress update - Lori and I have been through every room on the main level of our home and they are all clean if not yet completely organized. I special ordered an Amish bookcase for my craft room that matches a hutch that I have in that room. The additional shelf space will enable me to organize and store a pile of things that are presently on my sewing/craft table.

In my office I have an unusual shelving unit that my father made to display the clocks that he built and restored. I'm considering getting some rattan baskets from Ikea for it to hold office supplies that have no place to go but I'm waiting to see what Lori thinks. Besides, I won't be near an Ikea until May 30th.

On Monday (no holiday for us!) Lori is coming and beginning on the downstairs, specifically in my DH's office. From there we're moving to the garage and the laundry/storage room. I think in another week or two we will have been through the entire house and garage!

Footnote to all of this: In the midst of the past weeks we have been closing our office in the Twin Cities and bringing all the files and equipment and incorporating them into our home, specifically my office and the garage. I'm so glad to have help through this process!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:42 AM »
@milla - I love the conservatory (US - a sun room) and always wanted one. My orchids would thrive!  Maybe someday.  :)  You'll need to keep us posted and share lots of pictures!

@Styyna, I am so envious of your progress. I've been working on several projects (orchids and crocheting/knitting) that I've not given time to my room. DH is traveling this week and over the weekend. I should have time to get some serious work on my room.

I enjoy reading this post as it motivate me to keep going.  :sallesport:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
Styyna, you have definitely got it right.
We have spoken to our builder and it looks like they can start in August. Can't wait!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
Yay, Milla! August isn't very far away. It would be fun to take before, during, and after pictures.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
Oh, yes, pictures, :pretty_please:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Well, milla, I will definitely would love to see pictures since I just told DH that I want a conservatory, too!  Our deck needs to be replaced and as it is now, we use it to get from the house to the garden and that's pretty much it. We don't have a big yard but the deck is used just for that and nothing more. So, I've been looking at orchids and all I see is no room to grow. So, it sorta kills two birds with one stone. I will have room for my orchids and a sitting area where the orchids can be admired.  It will be a great place to relax while the boys are in the family room tearing up it up!  :lol:

This may not happen anytime soon but we just discussed it last night so there's a lot to do before we can begin constructions. But, I love that we are at least thinking about it and DH is excited about it, too!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »
Yes, SusieQ, you definitely need a conservatory! How exciting that your DH is receptive and even excited about the idea. Does your existing deck where you'd build the conservatory have the proper lighting for your orchids? That would seem to be an important consideration and one that you've probably already taken into account but it doesn't hurt to ask. Before I met him DH built a huge greenhouse in his backyard only to realize that his backyard didn't get sunlight! :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
We get the nothern and western light on that side.  I think I will have too much light and will need to work on where some of the orchids will be placed due to the bright light.  :lol:

It's so funny because DH wanted a conservatory but didn't think that I would want one so he never brought up the subject. I've looked at the cost and it's a pretty penny but I think the extra living space will be a welcome for many reasons.  :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
It is a lovely addition to any house if you have the space. I crave light and sunshine here in London and the room at the back of the house is my favourite. We only have a small garden but it is quite private in the summer because we have some  big trees at the end of the garden. If you have the space to build a conservatory it would be ideal for your orchids!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
I agree with Milla. A conservatory will be such a nice addition to your home. How remarkable that your DH had thought of one but not mentioned it until you brought it up. While it's true that adding rooms can be costly think of the hours of pleasure you will get out of it!

I can't wait to hear about both of your conservatories as they progress.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
We were talking about it the conservatory last night and my son is already talking about sleeping there with my orchids so that they won't be too lonely at night. We have a lot of privacy on our backyard.  Our over the fence neighbor have a sun room and never noticed it before.

We are looking forward to starting the process soon! It's quite exciting.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
Don't forget to take "before" pictures. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
Oh yes!  :lol: