News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: A heartening story from the younger generation  (Read 832 times)

linc2

• Platinum Member
A heartening story from the younger generation
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Happened upon this on MUA and thought it was so dear and so encouraging. I assume that she's a young woman from the way she writes and as she mentions her mom.

Lest we ever dismiss this younger generation as self-absorbed......(Actually, I generally find the 20 somethings to be very giving of themselves.)

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/xcakexfacex
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: A heartening story from the younger generation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
Thank you for the post. Interesting things happen when generations come together and it is great to see how younger people react when they find out that that frail old lady was/is actually quite a formidable woman. I regularly take a group of pupils from my school to a shopping centre where they help older people with their shopping. These trips are organised by a local agency called Shopmobility and they are an eye-opener for our students, who really enjoy them. Seeing the ladies showing off their manicures reminded me when my mother in law had her stroke and had to go into a nursing home. She could not walk and she could not communicate very well because she had jargon aphasia as a consequence of the stroke. I used to bring my manicure kit and do her nails.
I also remembered something that happened to me when I was a typical, stroppy teenager. My aunt's mother in law, who was in her eighties, was very frail and confused after a number of strokes. To me she was just an old lady sitting in the corner and dribbling constantly.
Until one day when I was left with her and I actually bothered to try and make conversation. I asked about a photo on the wall. I thought at first that it was a distant relative. I was not expecting a coherent answer, just making idle conversation; and then, with great difficulty she told me that the photo was of her late husband and she added :'and I miss him so much'. Never again in my life have I looked at an older person, no matter how frail and confused, without a feeling of utter respect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging story.  I see that she is a Nail Board girl, which is why I have never seen her, I guess.  Sounds as if she might be a college student.  It's nice to see one so young who has empathy for the elderly -- gives me something to look forward to!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »
Thank you for this link. It's uplifting to see such loving care given to those who are often forgotten.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
That just made my day...what a selfless young lady!! What really made me tear up is that she takes the time to really get to know these ladies  and goes there on her day off to do this.I guess there's no hope for me...I have boys(ha ha)!!
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
I only have the one boy...but I'm cultivating a good relationship with my daughter-in-law! :wink:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce