News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "Do you know what I hate? Dying."  (Read 662 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
"Do you know what I hate? Dying."
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
Good night, Andy Rooney.

Thanks for putting into words so many of our thoughts. Thanks for making Sunday evening a little more interesting and lighter as I prepared for Mondays over the years.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: "Do you know what I hate? Dying."
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »
Look at the words being used to describe him: crusty, cranky, crabby, curmudgeonly, gruff, and rumpled.  He was all of those things, I suppose, but most of all he made us think about everything and anything as if for the first time.

I hope there is a special to revisit some of his little TV essays.  I will watch it if there is.  (Are you listening, 60 Minutes?)  Maybe I need one of his books instead...
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: "Do you know what I hate? Dying."
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
He was all those things and I appreciated him for being who he was. I didn't always agree with him but that was part of his appeal to me.

Exposure to some of the most profound ideas in my life come from people just like him - a little untidy and unkempt, often opinionated but thoughtful about it. He shared just enough of my points of view so that I trusted him. Not blindly, but enough that when he put forth an idea with which I totally disagreed I tended to stop and think about his idea more than I would if his ideas were always in sharp contrast to my own. I always felt like I could sit down and have an interesting discussion with him about any of the topics he presented and that real communication could take place. I don't often have that feeling about media personalities.

In his brief moments at the end of 60 Minutes I often took away more to think about than from any of the excellent, professional segments presented during the bulk of the show.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart