News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Any early risers?  (Read 1156 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Any early risers?
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
I have always been an early riser, even at weekends. Today, seeing me get up at 7:30am, DH mumbled: ‘What are ya doin’ at this time in the mornin’, iss Saturday…’
I said: ‘I heard the weather forecast, it’s not going to rain and I need to plant the bulbs’.(It is a bit late for bulbs actually, but we went away for a week and I never had time to do them). DH’s horrified reply: ‘You’re not going to dig in the garden at this time in the morning?’ ‘Why not? I don’t holler as I dig, I’m a very quiet worker…’says I.
In fact, I do make a bit of noise, but not too much: I sing old Italian songs from the 50s…a bit of opera…but very quietly.
 After having my morning cup of hot water with lemon (there’s luxury for you), I started gardening just after 8, closely observed by a couple of grey squirrels with their beady eyes on the bulbs. Aha! but this year I tried a new trick that I got from Google: I sprinkled the hole with ground black pepper. Take that squirrels.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Any early risers?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
Some people are just wired to rise early, and others late. My aunt is an extreme example of an early riser - she's WIDE awake and completely on deck by 6AM and can't understand why other people aren't the same. She thinks sleeping until 9, or even 8, is scandalously late. For myself, I'm all over the map but I would say I tend more toward later rising and later going to bed. However, my husband usually stays up an hour or two later than I do which puts him at around 2AM for turning in, which means he sleeps until 10:30 or 11. But we don't have jobs to go to, or a whole lot of pressing schedules(understatement of the year)even here in the city where most people are pretty busy all the time. But we're older, which might make a difference.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
Night Owl here.  Fortunately, so is DH and DS.  Had our baby been bright and chipper at 6 a.m. every morning - well, our relationship would not have been very good.    :sleep:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
With rare exceptions, getting up on a schedule that agrees with school and jobs has been agony during my life. I've always been a night owl, becoming energized about 7 PM and able to go until 3 or 4 AM but then needing to sleep until late morning.

Recently - in the past 2 weeks - that somehow got turned on its head. Now I can't sleep past 6 AM most mornings and I literally force myself to stay up until midnight. (Yes, I've seen my doctor about this and had innumerable tests run to see if there is an underlying physical cause but none has been found.)

I'm now reluctant to give up my night owl ways. DH and I are in the house together 24/7. His pattern is to arise around 2-3 AM and fall asleep about 8-9 PM. That suits me well as it gives us each some alone time in the house. I know that I need that alone time to recharge my batteries.

In decades gone by, I would have loved this new early-to-rise pattern. It would have made getting my son and me up and ready for our day so much easier!

I say, to the extent possible, celebrate your natural rhythms. There is research to demonstrate why we have a variety of sleep/wake cycles.

In ancient times, someone had to stay awake to tend the fires and guard those who slept. Since not much could be done during those dark hours, a lot of the "thinkers" were those who performed this necessary job.

Obviously others were needed for hunts at first light so the strong and fast required a good night's sleep to be at peak performance during this important job. And of course the gatherers often had the best luck identifying plants during peak light, not to mention food preparation by light was probably a good thing.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
Any early risers? :rofl:

Excuse me...I need to go stoke the fire and patrol the perimeter.  Be right back...
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »

Excuse me...I need to go stoke the fire and patrol the perimeter.  Be right back...

All quiet on the Western( or was it Eastern?) front?

I usually wake  up at 5:30am, have a liitle stretch/get used to being awake until 5:45am, get up and, if I have been good and left everything ready the night before, I am out of the house before 7:00 and at work by 7:30, which gives me a good hour before I have to talk to children, co-workers and  admin. staff.
 I like being in bed (reading or knitting) by 10:00pm and I switch off the light by 10:30pm.
During the weekend I go to bed a bit later and I wake up a bit later, but I don't like staying in bed for too long because I feel that I am missing the best part of the day. Whether it is Summer or Fall, being out at first light is something that I find very envigorating. I also love  spending time by myself. I suppose it comes from having grown up in a house full of people (three brothers, 2 sisters)  where there has no privacy.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »

:rofl: I only get up because I have to...4:40am - work.  I think my body knows when I have to go to work the next day because I can't stay up past 10pm.  Bit Friday and Saturday, my body will not settle down until I force it, which is usually around 1-2am. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
I am trying unsuccessfully to wrap my mind around only needing 15 minutes to get used to being awake at 5:30am.  *does not compute*

My DH is a morning person.  We probably have more disagreements about that than any other topic, even money.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:06 PM »
"I also love  spending time by myself. I suppose it comes from having grown up in a house full of people (three brothers, 2 sisters)  where there has no privacy." - milla

Interesting! I was an ONLY child, and still love spending time by myself LOL! However, I do get up earlier than DH so I do have part of the morning, although I'm not up super-early. There really are "larks" and "owls" though.
Another way this manifests is in people's exercise routines - some swear by bounding right out bed and exercising first thing, while others have to wait until later in the day. Our clocks are different that way too. Avid morning exercisers often say that "anyone" can train themselves to exercise early in the morning, but I beg to disagree. Maybe some can, with effort, especially if they have never exercised at all and it might be a good starting point, but others have a real struggle, no matter what, even with being experienced exercisers. I'm in this group and I've been physically active since age 26(now 64)so I'm no newbie LOL! I've TRIED to exercise in the AM, but honestly, my body wants food(but no coffee as I never drink it) first thing, as I'm HUNGRY at breakfast(I eat very lightly and sometimes not at all for dinner) and my best time for physical activity is in the mid-to-late afternoon and early evening.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »
Susie, 4:40am is too early even for me. I've got a couple of colleagues who are at their desks by 6:30am and they say they get a lot done-but I just can't do it. I normally leave work by 6:00pm and I don't take work home during the week. In the UK we talk a lot about life-work balance for teachers and other professionals and I'm trying to achieve some for myself (and my family will also benefit).
If I did not go out to work I would still get up early because I need the morning light-I need as many hours of sunshine as I can get. I am also someone who has got to move about a lot. I dream of retiring and spending a lot of time in the garden, going for walks etc. In the evening I slow down and unwind.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Avid morning exercisers often say that "anyone" can train themselves to exercise early in the morning, but I beg to disagree. Maybe some can, with effort, especially if they have never exercised at all and it might be a good starting point, but others have a real struggle, no matter what, even with being experienced exercisers. I'm in this group and I've been physically active since age 26(now 64)so I'm no newbie LOL!

cara4art - This is one of the most reassuring things I've read about mornings and exercise. You seem to be the most self-disciplined person I've encountered, here or in real life. I was expecting to read about how your energy practically lifts you out of bed early in the morning and that "a day that doesn't start with a great workout is like a day without sunshine."

Please understand - I'm not being sarcastic nor do I mean my words to be negative in any way. You seem to be a woman with great willpower and self-discipline and those aren't my strong suits. To hear (read) that you are just the tiniest bit like me in this one small area of life (needing to eat first, finding that afternoon/evening are better exercise times) gives me hope that I can aspire to be a little more like you. :)  Thanks!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »
"I was expecting to read about how your energy practically lifts you out of bed early in the morning and that "a day that doesn't start with a great workout is like a day without sunshine." - Styyna

LOL! LOL! Which proves that we all have different times of the day that we do our thing best! One would be wise to go with that too, or ever risk "struggling" and not feeling quite right. At this point in the game I don't consider my routine "great self-discipline" - it's simply the way I live. I'm doing what I WANT to do and feel great doing it, so it's not a case of struggling. I love preparing healthy food and eating it, but at the same time, if something special pops up that's worth the indulgence I'll eat it(save for meat that is since I'm veggie) enjoy it and move on. After all, some special occasion foods are to be enjoyed and not stressed-out over because one had a small serving of a special dessert LOL! I see a lot of this over on MUA, where younger women totally stress out if they've had a bite of dessert or something rich. The rest of us tell them to move on - not worth the stress!
But back to the exercise, I'm one of these that really does have to have lots of it in order to feel good in my body, etc., especially to sleep - it's THE best sleeping pill ever. Modern day humans have largely forgotten that we are made to move, a lot. Without it, I would go into orbit somewhere - no kidding. During periods where I was not able to do so, I would feel spacey, or cranky, sluggish and depressed - not a good combo as DH would tell you. Been like that for decades - I was always a somewhat restless, if solitary child(only child here). However I was very fearful at that age, otherwise my dad who did tumbling and gymnastics would have started me in with some stuff as a young one. So I get that orientation to physical culture from him as my mother surely didn't have it. He lived a lot longer than she did but that's another story. But it wasn't until I was in my 20s that I discovered just how wonderful, therapeutic and healing solid exercise was for me and I've never looked back. Still a restless "child" here - age hasn't changed that.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:18:19 AM »
I was when I was much younger (teens and twenties) then mostly because of work. I used to get up before the dawn to work out or go to school etc.   I still am but I get the 'sleepies' right before dawn. My schedule is unusual now, and with changes my sleep cycle  is different. Example: Went to bed early (9 30 pm) got up at 2:30 am will sleep another 2 hours around or before 6 am my day starts. I used to be so disciplined. Need to get back into that. On the other hand much more an early riser than other family members who are late a'noon or night owls.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
I normally wake up around 6 a.m. without an alarm clock. It's nearly impossible for me to sleep past 7 a.m. - unless I am determined to. :)
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »
Susie, 4:40am is too early even for me. I've got a couple of colleagues who are at their desks by 6:30am and they say they get a lot done-but I just can't do it. I normally leave work by 6:00pm and I don't take work home during the week. In the UK we talk a lot about life-work balance for teachers and other professionals and I'm trying to achieve some for myself (and my family will also benefit).
If I did not go out to work I would still get up early because I need the morning light-I need as many hours of sunshine as I can get. I am also someone who has got to move about a lot. I dream of retiring and spending a lot of time in the garden, going for walks etc. In the evening I slow down and unwind.

It is too early, milla.  :) But, it works for our schedule. My DH drops off our son and I pick him up at the daycare by 5pm.  I do get a lot of work done - yeah - I'm at work right now. :rofl:  Seriously, I do and we have a lot of clients back east so my hours works well.  I have about an hour of commute and it helps me wind down and get me ready for homework with DS and cooking and getting everyone ready for the next day. I'm usually a zombie by Friday.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves