News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: E-readers and tablets  (Read 3766 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
E-readers and tablets
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
Kindles and Nooks are evolving toward tablets. I understand the Nook has a tablet, either just released or about to be. I'm trying to decide where the line is that the dollars are well spent and beyond which money is being spent on "features" that don't matter that much. I know that varies from person to person.

I know a number of members received Kindles and/or Nooks last year. How do you feel about them almost a year later? Do the newer models interest you? If so, what in particular do you think you'd like?

Are any of you using iPads? If so, impressions? Oh, and iPad or iPad2?

I'm making my wish list and I have to decide what to put on it. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: E-readers and tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »
I subscribe to an email newsletter called Techlicious (Tech Made Simple) and they just did an article on this topic.  Maybe it will help a little.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/barnes-noble-nook-tablet-vs-amazon-kindle-fire-which-best/
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:45:26 AM »
Based on the sales and promos you post and the other cool sites you just happen to subscribe to, you must have a massive amount of incoming email everyday.

This was a very interesting article and totally messed up my thinking. I just sent a detailed analysis to my son of my wants/needs and what this said about them.

Nook seems to have the best features but the worst availability of content. Kindle has some very good things going for it due to Amazon, especially since I'm an Amazon Prime diehard and they are now "renting" books for the Kindle for free for a month.

The iPad2 has it all - features and ample content and speed. But it also is 50% heavier and about 2 1/2 inches larger, not to mention the price difference.

I need to get my request in to DH soon so if there's a run on whatever I choose I don't come up short. I've never been interested in a hot item during the holidays - no Cabbage Patch mania here - and I don't intend for that to happen this year.

Even finished all shopping and wrapping for DH and just have a few things to do for son and his girlfriend. Then I'll decorate after Thanksgiving and I'm ready!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
Styyna, I posted this yesterday - in an OT fashion - in the IPhone thread. I'll repost here, where it belongs:

A little OT, but I'm also totally over the e-book technology. You don't really own the books you buy - you only own access to them. On my NookColor, I can lend a book (any book) only ONE TIME, ever (and only to another Nook owner). I don't have that problem with real books, and sharing/lending books I've loved it part of the joy of reading them.

Also, your account is linked to your email address, of all things! It's a pretty clunky way of managing my B&N account, imo, and I've somehow wound up with two accounts under different adresses. Aiyee! I like real books better!

I do like the android functions of the Nook, though. More apps become available for it every week, and it functions much like an IPad.

I would add that unless I am traveling somewhere overnight, I rarely use my NookColor these days. I use my IPhone for e-mail and webby stuff on a daily basis when I'm not at home. Although these features are great on the Nook, my phone is handier.

In terns of available content for the Nook, I find that any book I've wanted to buy at Barnes & Noble I can get for the Nook. Also, you can purchase e-books for the Nook in other formats, but you need to import them into the reader which is a PITA if you are not tech savvy. For the first 6 months I owned the Nook I subscribed to a few newspapers and periodicals and enjoyed having that content at my fingertips, but the novelty wore off and I dropped those subscriptions.

Overall, as I said, I would rather enjoy the visit to a B&N store and purchase the book, which I can actually own - put on a shelf if I love it, or share with others. It irks me that buying an e-book doesn't convey ownership of it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:14:15 AM by Tupelo »
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
Tupelo - thanks for quoting this and bringing it to my attention.

I understand the desire to own books and that's been one of my reasons for holding out. On the other hand, I attend a book group every month and I don't really desire to own all of a year's worth of books. Some are keepers, others are interesting but I know I'll never reread them. And our small library has a hard time keeping up with our demand.

Since I don't use a cell phone except for an inexpensive Tracfone for traveling emergencies, I don't have the iPhone option you mention.

Tablets appeal because of their relatively small size and weight compared to a laptop or even a netbook. I'm tired of being tied down to certain places in the house by the size of my equipment. So that's why I'm also expanding my research beyond the e-reader models a little. I don't need 3G because I'm surrounded by Wifi at home and most places that I go.

It's encouraging to know that, even if it's cumbersome, it's possible to import other non-Nook formats into the Nook. Tech savvy isn't my problem, fortunately.

All in all, your input was very valuable. Thanks!

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »
I received the regular Kindle for Christmas last year.  

I love it while traveling, on vacation, by the pool, in a waiting room.  It is as easy to carry as magazine with the content I want.  It has the convenience of going to the Library to borrow a book that I don't need to own.

I  have not felt the need to surf on my phone or a tablet.  I use my laptop for that.  I would rather be present in real life when I'm out and about.  Yeah, I know.  I'm old fashioned.  

*edited because my fingers cannot spell
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:05:30 AM by Poppyfields »
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »
I am basically in your camp, Poppy. Cell phone is for emergencies or being on the road only - and then for phone calls. I don't like to haul my laptop with me when I go places because I was to see the people or places that drew me away from home in the first place.

I am still considering an iPad however. In my desire to simplify, it might go a long way. Not only could I use it as an e-reader, albeit a larger one, I could probably replace at least 2 laptops that I currently use with it. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my PC and huge monitor - thought I'd love to reclaim all that space. I built the PC and maintain it so it's fast! And it has terabytes of data (including lots of backups both on-site and off) that I'd hate to lose immediate access to.

Decisions, decisions. It's getting harder to be old-fashioned in a modern world!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
When I travel, it is generally for business and I'm away more than a day. I hate lugging a laptop along with my luggage, and I find that my IPhone is perfect for checking email and forums - and it fits in my pocket. If I bring my Nook along, I can use that for surfing as well. It's a better screensize for websurfing that the phone.

I do love the freedom of a tablet, though. I'm just not ready for cloud computing. I like my files to reside on my hard drive. But, that's where the future is - in the clouds. :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm with you as far as avoiding the cloud, Tupelo. Fortunately there are ways around the worst part of it (what if my cloud storage provider goes out of business?) for those interested.

The easiest is to purchase an external USB drive for your storage. They come in small physical sizes with big data storage capabilities. Plug it in, sync, unplug and go. They travel nicely in a suitcase and you can always use cloud storage as temporary backup until you are home and have your external drive safely stowed. (I always worry about theft when traveling.)

The less easy method but the one with the most security is to have your own domain and a small amount of server space at a hosting company. You can store your own data there and, other than the ISP (which already has access to every bit and byte you send and received, if they so desire), no on has access and no one can suddenly make it go away by deciding to go out of business. Well, I suppose an ISP could drop out but I think you'd have enough notice to move your data.

I'm shifting to the second method right now. I have two domains I use all the time, thetimelessbeauty.com which is devoted strictly to the forum and another one which has my private email accounts and I use for storage of my data. The ISP runs nightly backups as do I and I download my backups to my local storage so I'm covered in as many ways as I can think!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
I consider a domain on a remote web hosting server to be part of the "cloud." Anyplace other than my own hard drive or flash drive, one where I have to upload my files - I'm less than comfortable with. Web hosts can (and do) go out of business, although I find that less threatening that having poor (meaning extremely slow) access to the files on my domain host. It happens.

DH and I have a couple of domains that he uses far more than I do. His email accounts for his private law practice are on one and he stores marketing and acdemic files on them, especially those he collaborates on. Of course, he still backs them all up to a flash dirve.

I confess that I have no idea how I'd use MS Word, Project, or Excel on a tablet. I guess those programs would have to be shared network files?

Pardon my rambling. :)  

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

Pardon my rambling. :)  

Rambling? Nay! You always write concisely and intelligently.

I agree that a host is part of the cloud. I have a server at home but it requires a lot of maintenance and my house could burn down, we could be flooded out, or it could be stolen. Seriously, DH never leaves home without the critical part of 30 years of work on a flashdrive due to that fear. I guess he figures I'm smart enough to get myself and the critters out if time allows.

I don't think that any single point of storage is safe. That's why we have so much storage in so many forms. If we aren't home, we have our critical work and data in 3 different locations: home, ISP host, flashdrives. At least the process of creating those backups is now much simpler than it was even 5 years ago, taking a few minutes out of our day instead of hours per week like it used to.

You bring up an interesting issue about the speed of file retrieval. That hasn't been a problem for us, ever, given the general limitations we have with access in our area. Our DSL connection is where everything gets caught, both going up and coming down. I can download all the files for TTB and the database to my computer in under 5 minutes during the busiest of times. Uploading, of course, takes longer.

Do you have thoughts about why your remote file retrieval is so slow? That's something I'd really like to understand as much as possible about (and anecdotal information is often better than that of the usual published "experts") so that I can think about how to either prevent or work around such a thing if it happened to us.

While they are all I currently use, I'm not wedded to MS products. If I got a tablet I would look into open source options as well as Google docs (and doesn't Apple have something too for their iPad?). If those didn't pan out then I'd figure something else out. One of the things I used to be an expert at was conversion of data from one format to another. I'd probably set some kind of cutoff point where, before that point I would still rely on my old equipment, after I would use the tablet. Or something like that.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
I'm not at all sure why web hosting sites can be so slow, but the simplest explanation is that some (like Go Daddy) don't upgrade their system resources often enough to accomodate the growth rate of traffic to its site. DH has one domain there and at certain times of the day (and evening) his connection is apt to time out.

I aslo suspect that our ISP (Comcast) is guilty of traffic shaping, although they vehemently deny this. So, it could be either, a combination of both, or something else entirely that we're not aware of.

Storage aside, I'm not sure that the IPad is really an efficent device for business applications, even though Apple promotes it as such. It's basically just a big IPhone without the telephone functions. It runs the phone OS and IPhone apps. Workarounds for standard business applications just seem entirely too tedious for someone who has a notebook at her disposal.

But for entertainment, it's very appealing. As an e-reader I think it's a beautiful interface but it's battery life doesn't compare with Nook or Kindle. And you cannot replace the battery yourself. The last time I looked the price for having it replaced was over $100.

http://allthingsd.com/20100407/the-answers-to-your-questions-about-the-ipad/

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
I am in love with my Kindle, which I got for Christmas last year from a wonderful friend. I didn't know much about them and certainly didn't have one on my wish list, but I am so grateful to have received it. It is one of the few things that I use, literally, every day.

It is great to be able to instantly download and read samples of books that I see advertised or reviewed and think I might be interested in. And, if the sample confirms the interest, it is so much fun to be able to download the book from Amazon within seconds.

The Kindle model that I have has the raised button keyboard, which I think has been replaced on the newer models with a touch screen keyboard. My aging and large fingers would probably have difficulty with the size of the touch screen keys so for now I am happy with the older model. However, if something happened to it, I would definitely repurchase the Kindle.

Besides reading books on the Kindle, I'm addicted to the Scrabble and NY Times Crosswords features. :grin:
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
I'm not at all sure why web hosting sites can be so slow, but the simplest explanation is that some (like Go Daddy) don't upgrade their system resources often enough to accomodate the growth rate of traffic to its site. DH has one domain there and at certain times of the day (and evening) his connection is apt to time out.

I aslo suspect that our ISP (Comcast) is guilty of traffic shaping, although they vehemently deny this. So, it could be either, a combination of both, or something else entirely that we're not aware of.

I think both of these make sense. I've heard that Go Daddy is notoriously oversold and got out of them some years ago. I've also read that Comcast isn't the only place that, while denying it, is shaping traffic. Is it too much to ask for the actual specs of what we're getting with our hard earned cash? Are people really going to stop using their ISP if they find out that they are subject to limits and such? Maybe the top 5% that use outrageous amounts of bandwidth but probably not the rest of us.

Storage aside, I'm not sure that the IPad is really an efficent device for business applications, even though Apple promotes it as such. It's basically just a big IPhone without the telephone functions. It runs the phone OS and IPhone apps. Workarounds for standard business applications just seem entirely too tedious for someone who has a notebook at her disposal.

But for entertainment, it's very appealing. As an e-reader I think it's a beautiful interface but it's battery life doesn't compare with Nook or Kindle. And you cannot replace the battery yourself. The last time I looked the price for having it replaced was over $100.

http://allthingsd.com/20100407/the-answers-to-your-questions-about-the-ipad/

For business purposes, I think you are correct about the iPad as it exists today. I think that tablets are the wave of the future and just saw a very interesting TED talk about this. As in all things technological, time will tell. :)

The battery issue is one I hadn't considered. My big gripe with laptops is that I am often able to use my AC adapter and would prefer to pull the battery out but it's integrated into the outer case of the machine so, short of duct taping the opening or something, it's not feasible to put the battery in storage and just pull it out and charge as needed. Since most batteries have a limited number of recharge cycles before they no longer fully charge and then finally fail, I don't want my computer using those cycles when not needed.

I found it interesting that, since the battery isn't user-replaceable (technically - I'm sure some geek will break that) they charge $107 and just replace the iPad. The comments about loss of data and the need to backup before sending your iPad in are well taken. Woe unto those who don't take proper precautions!

Thanks for that link, Tupelo. Very interesting and informative.

Christine - great review for the Kindle! I'm not keen on touch screens either but am getting used to them My new Tracfone smartphone has a touch screen but, blessedly, it comes with a stylus which makes it so easy! I didn't think I'd love it but I do.

I also didn't know about Scrabble and the NYT Crosswords features. I love both and haven't had access in a long time.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
christinedenice - Yours is the first review that made me consider a Kindle!  I didn't know about Scrabble and the NY Times Crosswords, either, and I adore both.

Marcia

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
My brother just got a Kindle Fire for his birthday and is in love with it. He brought it over on Thanksgiving and it's as close to an iPad as you can get. It doesn't have as many apps but it has a good amount. If you already have a Kindle your books show up on the Fire when you register it to your account. I was quite impressed with the Fire.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Oooh, that sounds like a fun toy, er. . .tool.   :Devil:

I've passed along my research to DH and it's up to him now. I honestly don't know if I'll get an e-reader or not. He finally understands how much I love surprises so he's not even giving out hints.

I'm an e-reader virgin so I have nothing to show up, even on a Kindle. Fixing that will be part of the fun if I get one. :D

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
DH ordered a Kindle Fire and it will be here on Tuesday, after reading lots of reviews about that and its competitor within price range, the Nook. He used to have an iPad, but he sold it to a friend who could use it. The Fire DOES look really cool, and it's smaller size is a plus as well, but not so small one can't read anything. He didn't want to pop for the newer iPad just yet, but needed something in the interim. It will be GREAT when we are travelling in January(something to look forward to AFTER the holiday).

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
More good information!

But now my question is: You are traveling in January. Good for you (I hope). Where are you going? Business, pleasure, or both? Hopefully this is a trip to which you are both looking forward.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
@Styyna - We're heading out to the Arizona desert to visit DH's sister and her husband - for pleasure! They're great people, and we'll be staying in their big RV rig that they were living in last year when we visited them there in Quartzsite. Many vendors of all sorts of stuff converge on this crossroads during the winter, especially right after the new year. They bought a small house, and that rig will be at a very nearby trailer park, as they will be putting that up for sale after we leave.

But back to the e-readers:

DH's Kindle Fire arrived yesterday, and he is seriously impressed! Since he's been on it a lot, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself. It's really compact, and really can be just put in one's bag, or even an inside coat pocket.
As far as the cloud goes, we're already in the cloud with our e-mail, anything that one has uploaded etc. It's only a matter of time, which is becoming very short, that full-fledged applications will be in the cloud as well. In fact, Adobe is gearing up their Creative Suite(which includes stuff like Photoshop, etc.)to be cloud and subscription-based. I would think that anyone who develops really awesome cloud security stuff will become a zillionaire and be much appreciated by all.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
I decided that I really do want an e-reader and I'm not picky about which one. A barebones Kindle (preferably without the advertising) would suit me fine. I realized that one thing I've missed for years and could do with an e-reader and my contacts is read in my preferred position: lying in bed on my side.

With my contacts I have no glasses frames to get in the way and an e-reader means the pages don't flip around on me. The simple pleasure of reading in my youth can be returned to me in a better form.

Now, will he or won't he? My bucket wish list (not just for the holidays) has lots of things, including lots of small things. I could see him opting for something small since he knows I've recently purchased things I/we needed that were larger. Or even a few small things as he's very generous and would enjoy giving me lots of packages to open. Or he could surprise me with an iPad. I just don't know. And that's another of my childhood pleasures - being surprised. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
I was toying with the idea of getting one of these for my mother, but I don't know.  She would hate having to pay to read the newer books, and she loves the activity of going to our library.  I'm not sure there is any advantage to them for her.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
There are some people for whom I don't think these are all that great. Your mother might be one of those. I have a dear friend whose social life revolves around frequent trips to Village Hall and the library. I know she'd cringe at the thought of an e-reader.

Also, prices for e-books are rising. Some e-books, due to demand, actually cost more than the hardcover version. I was so shocked to see this on Amazon that I did some research and it's all about what the market is willing to bear. Enough people want some books in the e-format that they can charge more for them and get it!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
Quote from: cara4art
Adobe is gearing up their Creative Suite(which includes stuff like Photoshop, etc.)to be cloud and subscription-based. I would think that anyone who develops really awesome cloud security stuff will become a zillionaire and be much appreciated by all.

I have Creative Suite 5.5 on subscription from Adobe. Of course currently, a subsription gives you the latest version which must be instaled locally - and you are not using Adobe.com's servers to store files or work on them. You are basically "renting" the lastest version of the software, with free updates, for use on your computer. They do have some interactive online services, though, for subscribers.

Adobe's current cloud services involve document transfer - something desperately needed now that we all use multiple devices (work/home desktops, notebooks, smart phones, tablets) and that is a need that will only grow. Adobe SendNow and CreatePDF are cloud services now available on Acrobat.com for Acrobat X Suite users. I don't have a need for these services, but I can see why many people do.

I have not seen any buzz or received any announcements from Adobe about making the Creative Suite available for interactive web use. I would love to read about it! Can you post a link? 

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
Now, will he or won't he? My bucket wish list (not just for the holidays) has lots of things, including lots of small things. I could see him opting for something small since he knows I've recently purchased things I/we needed that were larger. Or even a few small things as he's very generous and would enjoy giving me lots of packages to open. Or he could surprise me with an iPad. I just don't know. And that's another of my childhood pleasures - being surprised. :)

I hope he does! But if he doesn't... you can probably get a sweet deal on one after the holidays.  :evil:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »
I saw a cute cartoon today.  Two boys sitting on porch steps with e-readers.  One says to the other, "My mom says this book is a real page-turner."

Other boy says, "What's that ?"

(That was the punch line.  Laugh now. :rofl:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
I did laugh, twice. I laughed harder the second time. :D

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »
Late to the party. I was looking for that link that had free stories ...

I agree about the price of E books. But they are handy- I just do not have to space for a large collection anymore. If you are willing compare prices of certain titles you can find a bargain here and there.

Speaking of Amazon they have a couple of free kindle like apps you can download onto your computer. I did this recently for a couple of bargain books.  I do like taking a real book to bed before falling asleep.   I know I would be lazy about turning the thing off.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
-Canie

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I received an i-pad 2 from my sweetie for Christmas, and I cannot tell you how much I adore it.  The portability factor and the amazing speed are fantastic.  It's not so good for downloading e-mags though and it doesn't support Adobe Flash.  I've tried a couple of times to download Vanity Fair for i-pad and the length of time it takes to load stretches my patience to the breaking point.  You could stroll to the store, purchase the magazine, have a cup of coffee and read most of the articles in less time!  This could be a VF issue 'though, since I downloaded the February issue of 'Real Simple' and it was.  Books, on the other hand, are no problem.  I downloaded (free) Mansfield Park last week, took about 3 minutes, tops.

I'm heading off to Palm Springs next week and I'm really looking forward to having this treasure trove of entertainment at the ready.

classicbooks

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
I have an iPad 2 and downloaded a couple of books on the Kindle app just to see what all the fuss was about.   I have decided I do not like ebooks.   I like the feel of a real book in my hand, and I want to be able to loan it out to those who do not have an e-reader.   And you would think since they do not have printing/shipping costs that ebooks should be much less expensive than they are.   Most books I read I order as used on Amazon for only a few dollars, and then I have real, not virtual copies.

Also, I can't help but imagine that future generations will be amazed at what a real book looks like, they might have to go to a museum to see one.  I envision scenarios like the movie Farenheit 451 and the Book of Eli, where books have been destroyed and only a precious few are in existence and coveted.  I also see myself, and others like me, as 'the keeper of the books' for that futuristic apocalyptic day when virtual books are inaccessible due to lack of electricity and batteries and real books are few and far between, and there is a renewed nostalgia for all things quaint and old  :wink:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
This may not be such a farfetched notion.  I have a friend who goes around to book sales at libraries and buys the classics.  She has a son whom she fears won't have any real books when he is grown.  Who's to say it won't happen?

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
Not to mention an author cannot sign an e-book :lol:
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
I can't imagine my i-pad completely replacing hard cover books.  There are few things more beautiful, design-wise, than a gorgeous bookcase filled with your curated treasure trove.  We have ours in the dining room, since I love to look at the book spines while I'm eating; I find it relaxing somehow.

What the i-pad, kindles, et al, are great for, is travel.  We're going to France for a month in the fall, and just think how much more room I will have in my luggage for shopping if I'm not schlepping half a dozen books with me!

CathyEarnshaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
I've had a Kindle for 2 years and would never be without one now. I use it every single day and I don't miss books in the least.
I'm an avid reader, however; once I've read a book I rarely reread it. Consequently, I find books piling up on my bookshelves and taking up too much space and I find myself constantly running to the Goodwill with boxes of books.
 I read in bed every night and find the Kindle much lighter to hold than a book. I also love that if I finish a book, I can...without leaving my bed...upload a new book to my Kindle and resume reading within seconds.
  My daughter, a literary arts student, said that she abhorred E-readers and would never have one. She loved the feel and even the smell of a real book and she felt very sentimental about books.
 I got her a Kindle for Christmas and she has already completely changed her tune. She is in love with her Kindle and uses it daily :grin:
  • Complexion: Fair, Combination
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: grey, straight, average thickness, dry

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
She loved the feel and even the smell of a real book and she felt very sentimental about books.
I think this is the issue, in a nutshell.  We are all sentimental about books, as are our adult children.  Their children, however, may not have that attachment.  I do have a big box of my son's childhood books saved for my grandchildren, though. :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
I have an iPad 2 and downloaded a couple of books on the Kindle app just to see what all the fuss was about.   I have decided I do not like ebooks.   I like the feel of a real book in my hand, and I want to be able to loan it out to those who do not have an e-reader.   And you would think since they do not have printing/shipping costs that ebooks should be much less expensive than they are.   Most books I read I order as used on Amazon for only a few dollars, and then I have real, not virtual copies.

Also, I can't help but imagine that future generations will be amazed at what a real book looks like, they might have to go to a museum to see one.  I envision scenarios like the movie Farenheit 451 and the Book of Eli, where books have been destroyed and only a precious few are in existence and coveted.  I also see myself, and others like me, as 'the keeper of the books' for that futuristic apocalyptic day when virtual books are inaccessible due to lack of electricity and batteries and real books are few and far between, and there is a renewed nostalgia for all things quaint and old  :wink:

I, too, love the feel and appearance of real books. I have a huge, heavy box of books from my father's youth, all in a language I can't read, that I am loathe to part with and not just because they were my father's. They are very old and likely many of them are out of print now.

I've never enjoyed lengthy reading on a computer screen and have printed off reams of pages over the years so that I could hold the hard copy in my hands and read in a comfortable place at my leisure without the glare of an upright monitor.

Still, when I received a Kindle Fire this past Christmas I didn't hesitate to try it out. I was a little skeptical but also curious. I have found that I love downloading books in a minute - most of them free so far - and then being able to tote my Kindle around just like a real book. I found a setting to make the background less glaringly white and I can adjust the print size so that, at night when my eyes are tired from my computer monitor, it is easier to read. I have read more books since getting the Kindle than in the past few years combined.

As far as the price of books is concerned, the publishers are dictating the prices at which places like Amazon must sell many of the books. Amazon was big into $9.99 per book until the publishers stepped in and successfully insisted that they be allowed to set the prices. That explains the ridiculously high prices of eBooks compared to lovely hardcover editions.

My "post-apocalyptic" vision is more like Fahrenheit 451, where books are banned (if I remember my reading of the book correctly). Many electronic copies that take up a tiny fraction of space gives me hope that books and the ideas contained within will survive. Yes, I can see that a true apocalypse that results in the inability to obtain power would be a problem. But batteries and such aren't whiz-bang science any longer. I'm hopeful that we won't reach that point. :)

There are advantages and drawbacks to both forms. Hopefully there will be audiences for both forms for a long time to come.