News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: E-readers and tablets  (Read 3767 times)

Marcia

• Platinum Member
Re: E-readers and tablets
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
My brother just got a Kindle Fire for his birthday and is in love with it. He brought it over on Thanksgiving and it's as close to an iPad as you can get. It doesn't have as many apps but it has a good amount. If you already have a Kindle your books show up on the Fire when you register it to your account. I was quite impressed with the Fire.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Oooh, that sounds like a fun toy, er. . .tool.   :Devil:

I've passed along my research to DH and it's up to him now. I honestly don't know if I'll get an e-reader or not. He finally understands how much I love surprises so he's not even giving out hints.

I'm an e-reader virgin so I have nothing to show up, even on a Kindle. Fixing that will be part of the fun if I get one. :D
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
DH ordered a Kindle Fire and it will be here on Tuesday, after reading lots of reviews about that and its competitor within price range, the Nook. He used to have an iPad, but he sold it to a friend who could use it. The Fire DOES look really cool, and it's smaller size is a plus as well, but not so small one can't read anything. He didn't want to pop for the newer iPad just yet, but needed something in the interim. It will be GREAT when we are travelling in January(something to look forward to AFTER the holiday).

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
More good information!

But now my question is: You are traveling in January. Good for you (I hope). Where are you going? Business, pleasure, or both? Hopefully this is a trip to which you are both looking forward.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
@Styyna - We're heading out to the Arizona desert to visit DH's sister and her husband - for pleasure! They're great people, and we'll be staying in their big RV rig that they were living in last year when we visited them there in Quartzsite. Many vendors of all sorts of stuff converge on this crossroads during the winter, especially right after the new year. They bought a small house, and that rig will be at a very nearby trailer park, as they will be putting that up for sale after we leave.

But back to the e-readers:

DH's Kindle Fire arrived yesterday, and he is seriously impressed! Since he's been on it a lot, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself. It's really compact, and really can be just put in one's bag, or even an inside coat pocket.
As far as the cloud goes, we're already in the cloud with our e-mail, anything that one has uploaded etc. It's only a matter of time, which is becoming very short, that full-fledged applications will be in the cloud as well. In fact, Adobe is gearing up their Creative Suite(which includes stuff like Photoshop, etc.)to be cloud and subscription-based. I would think that anyone who develops really awesome cloud security stuff will become a zillionaire and be much appreciated by all.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
I decided that I really do want an e-reader and I'm not picky about which one. A barebones Kindle (preferably without the advertising) would suit me fine. I realized that one thing I've missed for years and could do with an e-reader and my contacts is read in my preferred position: lying in bed on my side.

With my contacts I have no glasses frames to get in the way and an e-reader means the pages don't flip around on me. The simple pleasure of reading in my youth can be returned to me in a better form.

Now, will he or won't he? My bucket wish list (not just for the holidays) has lots of things, including lots of small things. I could see him opting for something small since he knows I've recently purchased things I/we needed that were larger. Or even a few small things as he's very generous and would enjoy giving me lots of packages to open. Or he could surprise me with an iPad. I just don't know. And that's another of my childhood pleasures - being surprised. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
I was toying with the idea of getting one of these for my mother, but I don't know.  She would hate having to pay to read the newer books, and she loves the activity of going to our library.  I'm not sure there is any advantage to them for her.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
There are some people for whom I don't think these are all that great. Your mother might be one of those. I have a dear friend whose social life revolves around frequent trips to Village Hall and the library. I know she'd cringe at the thought of an e-reader.

Also, prices for e-books are rising. Some e-books, due to demand, actually cost more than the hardcover version. I was so shocked to see this on Amazon that I did some research and it's all about what the market is willing to bear. Enough people want some books in the e-format that they can charge more for them and get it!

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
Quote from: cara4art
Adobe is gearing up their Creative Suite(which includes stuff like Photoshop, etc.)to be cloud and subscription-based. I would think that anyone who develops really awesome cloud security stuff will become a zillionaire and be much appreciated by all.

I have Creative Suite 5.5 on subscription from Adobe. Of course currently, a subsription gives you the latest version which must be instaled locally - and you are not using Adobe.com's servers to store files or work on them. You are basically "renting" the lastest version of the software, with free updates, for use on your computer. They do have some interactive online services, though, for subscribers.

Adobe's current cloud services involve document transfer - something desperately needed now that we all use multiple devices (work/home desktops, notebooks, smart phones, tablets) and that is a need that will only grow. Adobe SendNow and CreatePDF are cloud services now available on Acrobat.com for Acrobat X Suite users. I don't have a need for these services, but I can see why many people do.

I have not seen any buzz or received any announcements from Adobe about making the Creative Suite available for interactive web use. I would love to read about it! Can you post a link? 
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
Now, will he or won't he? My bucket wish list (not just for the holidays) has lots of things, including lots of small things. I could see him opting for something small since he knows I've recently purchased things I/we needed that were larger. Or even a few small things as he's very generous and would enjoy giving me lots of packages to open. Or he could surprise me with an iPad. I just don't know. And that's another of my childhood pleasures - being surprised. :)

I hope he does! But if he doesn't... you can probably get a sweet deal on one after the holidays.  :evil:
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »
I saw a cute cartoon today.  Two boys sitting on porch steps with e-readers.  One says to the other, "My mom says this book is a real page-turner."

Other boy says, "What's that ?"

(That was the punch line.  Laugh now. :rofl:)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
I did laugh, twice. I laughed harder the second time. :D

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »
Late to the party. I was looking for that link that had free stories ...

I agree about the price of E books. But they are handy- I just do not have to space for a large collection anymore. If you are willing compare prices of certain titles you can find a bargain here and there.

Speaking of Amazon they have a couple of free kindle like apps you can download onto your computer. I did this recently for a couple of bargain books.  I do like taking a real book to bed before falling asleep.   I know I would be lazy about turning the thing off.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
-Canie

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I received an i-pad 2 from my sweetie for Christmas, and I cannot tell you how much I adore it.  The portability factor and the amazing speed are fantastic.  It's not so good for downloading e-mags though and it doesn't support Adobe Flash.  I've tried a couple of times to download Vanity Fair for i-pad and the length of time it takes to load stretches my patience to the breaking point.  You could stroll to the store, purchase the magazine, have a cup of coffee and read most of the articles in less time!  This could be a VF issue 'though, since I downloaded the February issue of 'Real Simple' and it was.  Books, on the other hand, are no problem.  I downloaded (free) Mansfield Park last week, took about 3 minutes, tops.

I'm heading off to Palm Springs next week and I'm really looking forward to having this treasure trove of entertainment at the ready.