News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Show unread posts since last visit AND/OR How to get the latest news  (Read 1263 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Beauties -

A good friend of mine here on TTB had no idea that we have a Secret Santa event this year! It's hard to draw everyone's attention to important non-beauty, forum-related information!

I prefer not to send out mass mailings to our members. We all get enough of that kind of stuff in our in-boxes already. So I have two (just 2!) suggestions to follow so that you are sure you get the latest scoop:

1. If you are using either the Outline or the Lady theme (both have red as a predominant color), look in the top right corner for text that says Show unread posts since last visit. If you are using the Core theme (blue, more business-like) you will find this same text in the upper left corner.

That text is a link. Click on that link to see all unread posts since you last signed out and back into TTB. The posts will be listed in chronological order and the primary piece of information they provide is the name of the topic(s) with one or more new posts. Scan those topics to look for the non-beauty, forum-related kinds of topics that I generally initiate.

There have been occasional issues with using this link and they usually pertain to the use of more than one computer and/or whether a member signs out or not, especially when switching between computers. If you have a problem with this, please visit this topic and this one. Or just write to me and I'll help you with the particulars.

2. For short-term news, at the top of each theme, usually in the center but off to the left on some themes, is a News banner on the Home page. I try to post headlines there with links to items that I want to draw to your attention. I usually use color to make it stand out. You can click on the links to go directly to the post that explains my news.

Occasionally I have more than one item that I wish to make into news announcements. One pops up for a few seconds, then it fades out and the next one pops up. They are set to rotate so if you miss one just wait a few seconds and it will return.

Now, how do I draw your attention to this post so that you all read it?  :headscratch:

I refuse to make it mandatory reading - I view that as an abuse of administrative tools. I'm not going to clog your in-boxes as that too feels abusive of your trust. Instead, I'll post this as usual and ask that you pass the word among yourselves about these two important and useful features. And in the near future I hope to have a newer, more attractive mechanism for relaying this kind of information.

-SilverCrown

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Show unread posts since last visit AND/OR How to get the latest news
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Now, how do I draw your attention to this post so that you all read it?  :headscratch:
I don't know the answer to this one, 'cause I'm so compulsive that I have to read everything!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
Well, I added it to the News feed. Maybe between that and word of mouth general awareness will increase that sometimes I have something less mundane than a new rule to share. :lol:
-SilverCrown

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
I want to mention also that the link for showing unread posts does work even if you do not log out of TTB when you leave.  I never, ever log out and the link always works for me. :)
-Canie

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »
I never log out, either!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
That's my girl!  Welcome back, anne!
-Canie