News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Recommendations for Light Reading?  (Read 2046 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Recommendations for Light Reading?
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »
Next week at the book group we are to each provide 2 suggested titles for the next year. Other than book group selections, the only titles I've read are nonfiction of the sort that no one in a general book group is going to want to read. HTML5 and CSS3 just isn't going to skyrocket this group's interest level. :lol:

Does anyone have any light reading suggestions to make? I'm not looking for ideas that I would present as my own. Rather, I'm hoping that I might recognize some titles that others recommend and be able to offer some input based on what I learn here. This was a year of reading a lot of books about war so the group has opted to look at the lighter side of life next year - thank goodness! Not that this year's books (those that I read) weren't inspiring. They just were very hard for me to read on lots of levels.

The group doesn't get into great, heavy discussions either. I'm still very new to it but it seems like the books are more of a focus for a social meeting than anything else.

Thanks!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Recommendations for Light Reading?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
"The Help" by K.Stockett  (though most have read this one already!)
"Water for Elephants" by S. Gruen
"Secret Life of Bees" by S. Kidd
"Eat, Pray, Love" by  E. Gilbert
"The Red Tent" by A. Diamont
"The Glass Castle" by J. Walls  oops, this one is a memoir  {{read it anyway!  :D}}

I just realized that the first 4 books I listed were made into movies.  :-[ :-[ :-[     I have to think of more to redeem myself. LOL
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:57 PM »
They probably wouldn't like the stuff I read.  My last book was The Dream of Perpetual Motion, a sort of science fiction/steam punk book on the theme of love in a world dominated by machines and technology.  Not so light.

If I did want something light, I would read the new Stephen King book, 11/22/63
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »
Thanks, Lucy! I'll look into those.

Listy - they might not like that book - I don't know them well enough yet. But it sounds fascinating to me.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
You would probably like it, but wait until your eye gets better.  Some of his writing is unusual and requires close concentration just because it takes unexpected turns.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
Most avid readers have probably already read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society by now, but if not, it makes for easy discussion.

Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle is one of the most delightful books I've read.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »
Most avid readers have probably already read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society by now, but if not, it makes for easy discussion.

Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle is one of the most delightful books I've read.

....checking these out for myself... :coffee:
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
I will have a think about it and send you a list during the weekend.I am going book-shopping tomorrow.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
All these recommendations are greatly appreciated. :heartthrob:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
Another thing you could do is look at the best books of the year lists.  I know Amazon does this, and I'm sure there are others.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
I think I'll take the book titles mentioned thus far and look into those a little. Too much research and I'd be better off reading a book or two and hoping one or both were worthy of recommending! But time won't allow for that.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. A book that lots of people read at work and seem to have enjoyed is 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett (Penguin).
Another author that is very popular is Alexander Mc Coll Smith.He writes mystery and crime.I'll send you some more details and titles if you're interested.
I am going to read this year's book lists and try to get somereading during the Christmas break. I have not read anything since the summer except newspapers and academic research :(

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
Thanks, Milla! Do you know if the moving, "The Help" is based on that book? I haven't seen it and I prefer to read books before seeing movies based upon them. I'll look it up and Alexander Mc Coll Smith as well. If you have a particular favorite of his I'd love to know it.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Thanks, Milla! Do you know if the moving, "The Help" is based on that book? I haven't seen it and I prefer to read books before seeing movies based upon them. I'll look it up and Alexander Mc Coll Smith as well. If you have a particular favorite of his I'd love to know it.

PBI! Yes, the movie is based on the book.  But read the book first (that's what I always like to do too :D)  I feel that often movies don't do the books justice, but The Help movie was good.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
I have yet to see a movie that measured up to the book.