News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: More Magazine  (Read 1069 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
More Magazine
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »
ILuvLucy - you mentioned you subscribe to More. How do you like it?

I'm looking for a replacement for Real Simple - a magazine I loved when it first came out but it seems to be becoming more elite (translation: they recommend pricier items) and the features I like keep getting cut back.

I'm not a big magazine subscriber but I enjoy receiving one per month for those little breaks in the day when a magazine article or pictorial is just the thing for a brief get-away.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: More Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
I have subscribed to More twice - once when it first started and once for a school fund-raiser.  They have interesting articles about women our age, but they do showcase very expensive products most of the time.  I am not subscribing to anything right now, but I know what you mean about those little moments when a magazine article is just the thing. 

I don't even know of another one to recommend, but I will think on it.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
Styyna, I don't subscribe to MORE, but I do end up buying it every month. I really like the articles and find a lot of hair, makeup, health, and fashion inspiration in it. Guess I should subscribe--it would be cheaper. I also like LUCKY, but don't read it as often.
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
ILuvLucy - you mentioned you subscribe to More. How do you like it?

I like it so far.  I used to subscribe to it when it first came out, but then stopped.  I probably wouldn't be getting it if it weren't for DD's fundraiser though. I've only gotten 2 issues so far.
 I also subscribe to Real Simple.  I just can't seem to let it run out because I keep getting alerted to good deals on it.  I think I'm paid up till 2013! :rollseyes:
I get way too many magazines.  I still get Glamour, even though it's not really relevant for me anymore.  At least I finally quit Allure.  I think I'm still getting Family Circle and Woman's Day. 
Also, for some reason, I'm getting Rachel Ray's magazine called Every Day with Rachel Ray.  I did not subscribe to it though! I think it's coming as a freebie from something else I ordered.  Once in awhile I find a good recipe, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:16:09 AM »
I subscribe to both More and Real Simple.  Have been a More subscriber for about 6 years (I took them almost literally back when their tagline said "for women over 40"  LOL).  I like it.  While I can't afford most of the fashion stuff they feature, it gives me ideas for using what I do have to amp up my "look" a bit.  I like the beauty product information.  I find the biographic/profile info interesting and inspiring, but not enough to quit my day job  ;)

I subscribed to Real Simple when it first came out and then stopped.  I recently took an interest in it again when there was a cyber-deal on it to save a few bucks on their $24-ish subscription price.  I am enjoying reading it.  I always fold down pages for interesting websites to visit and/or products to check out (not necessarily buy).  RS recently hooked me, willingly, into a 3-year subscription for $16 per year -- I figure I can still cancel at any point even at the cheaper rate and get a refund. 
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »
The "vibe" I'm getting is to give More a try. Real Simple was great for a while; maybe I just need a break.

Next question: If I get an e-reader from DH, can I subscribe to magazines on it? That would be my preferred way to receive magazines and I can wait to decide until I learn whether I'll get one or not.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
I wanted to point out that if anyone wants a new subscription to any magazine, now is a good time.  The online services offer tremendous deals for the holidays, plus big rebates.

I saw More at Magazines.com.  They are 26% back on Ebates right now and the code HOLIDAYMAGS will give a $5 discount when you check out.  You can search and compare prices - this is just an example.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Just subscribed to More at magazines.com with a $5 off coupon I found on Mr Rebates plus a 30% rebate. After I placed my order I think I saw that it's the deal of the day for $10 too.

I saw something on Mr Rebates about Real Simple for $12 per year too. Not bad for that one

Thanks for the heads up!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
I hope you enjoy it Styyna!
 I order most of my magazine subscriptions through Amazon.  I just added a year to my Real Simple subscription through Amazon for $12.   And on my Amazon account, is all nice and organized, so I can see the dates of all the subscriptions.

(both More & Real Simple have nice little apps for your phone as well  :wink:)
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:23 AM »
I'm a huge Amazon fan (my DH says we should buy AMZN) and probably would have gone that route except for the 30% rebate. But Amazon Prime (free 2-day shipping and other perks) generally beats all the rebates so that's where I go first for many online purchases.

I'll remember them for magazines the next time though.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
The rebates get me every time, and Amazon never gives any of those.  Since there is no shipping for magazine subscriptions, I'm not sure what other benefit they can offer me.

Except for the organization factor - I can see where that would be helpful if you get lots of magazines.  The companies I buy from (for myself and others) send me reminders when they are about to expire.  The ones I don't like are the ones that sign me up for automatic renewal without my permission.  Have to watch out for that!  Even those have to give me time to cancel, though.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »
Magazines.com does automatic renewal service (ARS in their lingo) so have to be watched out for. Also their follow up email arrived today offering 4 months of 4 mags for $5-6 but, of course, ARS applies to those too. I passed on their "bonus."

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
Good call!  I never take those bonuses either.  You can always cancel later, but then you have to remember to do it.  If they offer a magazine I might like at a reduced price for the year, then I consider it.