News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 7795 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
TV Series
« on: December 03, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
We don't much watch series shows in real time, but lately we have been getting into some on NetFlix.  We can watch more than one episode per night, without commercials, and have found some good ones.

Right now we are doing Jericho and like it a lot.  It's about a small town in Kansas after several major cities have had nuclear bomb explosions.  Post-apocalyptic, if you will.  We watched all the seasons of Lost and were completely addicted to that one.  When we went camping, I missed my Lost more than my internet, and that never happens!

We like something we can sink our teeth into, preferably with suspense, some twists and turns, tight plots, action, and drama.  We both like sci-fi, thrillers, and futuristic stuff, too.

Any suggestions for our next pick?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: TV Series
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
For sci-fi, DH would 100% say I should recommend Dr. Who. He especially likes the older seasons with less of the fancy effects and more imagination. It is an interesting program though I don't watch regularly - mostly because that's one hour that I have the whole house to myself because he's glued to his show when new episodes are running.

I like the "dysfunctional family" feel of the team on NCIS and have always adored Mark Harmon. Not hard-hitting programming but entertaining.

And I've just about caught up on all the seasons of Mad Men on Netflix. I don't know why I enjoy watching the show. DH can't watch it but loves for me to tell him all about each episode after I watch them. The fashions are definitely a draw and the main character, Don, is interestingly complex to me. It's kind of soap-opera-ish to me.

I'm a terrible critic though. I so seldom watch TV that I'm easily amused and entertained. I use it as a distraction, a way to forget about everything going on around me in the midst of barking dogs, a DH who works from home so we're together 24/7, and, until recently, lots of construction workers over the past years.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:37:40 PM »
You know, we probably would like Dr. Who.  We were big Torchwood fans, which was a spinoff.  Thanks for the (secondhand) rec!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
I dont' know if NetFlix has it view yet or not but I really loved  Falling Skies. I think there are 10 episodes of Season 1.  Season 2 is not due to come out until Summer of 2012. But, you might like it.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
I'll have to look up Falling Skies.  I don't remember hearing about that one.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »
If you like crime thrillers, check out Durham County, a Canadian cable series. Good acting, and very atmospheric, i.e. spooky!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
I'll have to give that one a look, shimmer. Thanks for the rec. It sounds like I'll either love it or hate it. Spooky has different meanings; some spooky shows I love, some I can't watch because I'm a scaredy-cat. :) The best part is that since you recommended it so at the very least I might expand my horizons, always a good thing.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:24:05 AM »
I dont' know if NetFlix has it view yet or not but I really loved  Falling Skies. I think there are 10 episodes of Season 1.  Season 2 is not due to come out until Summer of 2012. But, you might like it.  :)
Yes, I'm quoting myself for Styyna because she was worried about her typos. What the heck did I write..."I don't know if Netflix has it view yet or not..." What the h%ll is that!  My excuse, I came down with the flu on Friday  and returned to work today. I should have waited a day or two before I posting.  Geez, the 2nd sentence is not any better.  *mommy*  Me, go now. Falling Skies...good. You see and I tell you, you will love. Yes, you will.  *Thaaat's all Folks!*

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
Yes, I'm quoting myself for Styyna because she was worried about her typos. What the heck did I write..."I don't know if Netflix has it view yet or not..." What the h%ll is that!  My excuse, I came down with the flu on Friday  and returned to work today. I should have waited a day or two before I posting.  Geez, the 2nd sentence is not any better.  *mommy*  Me, go now. Falling Skies...good. You see and I tell you, you will love. Yes, you will.  *Thaaat's all Folks!*

As we all know, typos are not a big deal around here. I just see things in the morning that I can't believe I wrote lately. Please don't go worrying about yours. I never notice other people's but mine are in just about every post. For example, I type "you" instead of "your" often - I simply don't see the missing "r" due to my goofy vision right now. I'd guess most posts here are just fine; about 90% of mine have at least one typo and it's a vision-related thing or I never would have said anything.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:37:24 AM »
Ooh - we do like spooky stuff!  That one goes on my list.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:32 AM »
I am hopelessly addicted to American Horror Story. Its a little over the top but Wednesday doesnt feel complete unless I watch.

Other shows I like : Once Upon a Time, Pan Am, Castle, Ringer and Revenge. Guilty pleasures.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
How about the new one called "I Hate my Teenage Daugher"?!  LOL.  :rofl:

(Everyone knows that I love my teenage daugher to bits, but I thought the premise was kinda funny LOL)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:57 AM »
I am hopelessly addicted to American Horror Story. Its a little over the top but Wednesday doesnt feel complete unless I watch.

Other shows I like : Once Upon a Time, Pan Am, Castle, Ringer and Revenge. Guilty pleasures.

I confess the only one of these shows I've even heard of is Pan Am. Isn't that supposed to be a period piece from the 60's, kind of like Mad Men (and another one that was canceled after a couple of showings)? What do you like about it? I presume it is about the airline and gives viewers a look at flying from the airline employees' view which, back then, was probably very interesting. Not that the jobs aren't interesting now but I think the travel restrictions must have taken some of the fun out of working for an airline. An acquaintance who is a flight attendant is the only first-hand account I've gotten of what it's like today and it isn't very glamorous to say the least. I'd love to see a show that takes me back to what flying was like before terrorism and the economy turned it into a bus ride in the air.

I watch Mad Men because I love the fashions and the peek into the advertising scene - overdone though they are for TV, of course. I had a good friend who won a top award in advertising in the 70's and Mad Men doesn't seem that far from the mark as far as the ad campaigns are concerned, at least in some respects. Then there's the good old soap opera feel to the show. Jon Hamm is, I think, very good in his role as is Christina Hendricks in hers. Guilty pleasure indeed though!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:27 AM »
Ooh - we do like spooky stuff!  That one goes on my list.
You probably already seen Supernatural, then. We love it!

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
Ive never seen Mad Men, but someday I will rent or find online. I think if you like Mad Men or anything to do with the 60s you will like this. If you go to Hulu you can find real life accounts from ex flight attendants who were Pan Am stewardesses(its under Clips). Yes there is a lot of authentic looking early 60s clothing . There were strict appearance codes. You had to wear a girdle,  gloves, watch your weight closely or you would get written up etc. I remember the tv ads from childhood.

**********************************************************************************************************
I confess the only one of these shows I've even heard of is Pan Am. Isn't that supposed to be a period piece from the 60's, kind of like Mad Men (and another one that was canceled after a couple of showings)? What do you like about it? I presume it is about the airline and gives viewers a look at flying from the airline employees' view which, back then, was probably very interesting. Not that the jobs aren't interesting now but I think the travel restrictions must have taken some of the fun out of working for an airline. An acquaintance who is a flight attendant is the only first-hand account I've gotten of what it's like today and it isn't very glamorous to say the least. I'd love to see a show that takes me back to what flying was like before terrorism and the economy turned it into a bus ride in the air.

I watch Mad Men because I love the fashions and the peek into the advertising scene - overdone though they are for TV, of course. I had a good friend who won a top award in advertising in the 70's and Mad Men doesn't seem that far from the mark as far as the ad campaigns are concerned, at least in some respects. Then there's the good old soap opera feel to the show. Jon Hamm is, I think, very good in his role as is Christina Hendricks in hers. Guilty pleasure indeed though!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:19:45 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown