News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Mobile Users?  (Read 5023 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Mobile Users?
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Beauties -

How many of you are mobile users? I know that we have people logging in from mobile devices because my logs tell me so. What they don't tell me, without more analysis than I think is necessary, is how many of those people are members.

I ask because I can make it easier for you to access TTB via iPhone, Android, and Blackberry for starters. Other devices could be considered as well.

If this is of interest to you, please reply and let me know.

Thanks.

SC
-SilverCrown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Mobile Users?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
Hey, SC. Well, you know I'm an iPhone user!  I view TTB on my iphone, but never log in because I can't remember my password.  I know if I tried, I could probably remember, but I'm too lazy. :-[

SO, yea, count me as one who would love easier access from my iPhone.  :lol:
Thank You!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
I log in from iPhone and iPad
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »
P.S. I forgot to mention that I can make this available, through an add-on to the forum call Tapatalk, but the creators/owners charge $2.99 to the user for their app.

Here is a brief description from the forum software site through which I obtained my information:

Tapatalk enables easy browsing of a forum by giving a easy and structured layout of forums. Not only you can read the forums and topics, but also reply to them and create new ones. Apart from the standard topics/posts, it has support for PM viewing and replying. You can also view your subscribed topics, latest posts of the forum, who's online, others profiles. All that in a seamless integrated user interface with the phone. Also it allows you upload photos straight from the app to SMF forum as an attachment!

If any members have used Tapatalk on other forums, preferably based on SMF like TTB, please let me know. Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:06:01 PM by SilverCrown »
-SilverCrown

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:32 AM »
I have occasionally gone on the site with my Android but didnt have much interest in downloading the app. Maybe its just me but I prefer my laptop screen.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »
I personally am not a big mobile user, yet anyway. But my logs show enough activity coming in from iPhones, Android devices, and the like to justify asking our members about it.

I've gone ahead and enabled Tapatalk on TTB. We have one member who, when time permits, will be testing it and letting me know how it (Tapatalk) works for her. Anyone who already has the app is welcome to use it here as well. I will leave it enabled on TTB until further notice.

My other option is to install a mobile-size friendly theme but, to be honest, that requires more maintenance on my end. If we had dozens of members or even guests who wanted this feature I wouldn't mind providing the maintenance. But for just a handful of users my time and energy are better spent on other, site-wide enhancements. Tapatalk seems to be the best middle ground I can find for now anyway.
-SilverCrown

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
I use Tap A Talk on my IPhone and I really like it. It's a much cleaner, simpler interface than Safari on the IPhone. I will check TTB out on in when I have a couple of minutes.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
Mobile Users?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
The forum looks good on Tapatalk. Typing with my thbs has never been easier. :lol:
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
Good news. Thanks, Tupelo!
-SilverCrown

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »
The forum looks good on Tapatalk. Typing with my thbs has never been easier. :lol:
Tupelo, I want to download the Tapatalk app.  After I do that, do I just search for TTB and go from there?  Is there a way to specify just the forums that I want to use the app with (TTB and maybe one other), or do I have to deal with a gazillion different forums and always search for TTB?  I hope you don't mind so many questions. 
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

marci65

• Platinum Member
Mobile Users?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »
I downloaded the app. Love it for reading TTB on my iPhone!  Thanks for making the forum available this way.

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
I just downloaded Tapatalk to a Kindle Fire and found that it makes reading the forum on small screens much easier. There is still more I need to learn about using it but I found it to be a useful tool.

Also, at least right now, the cost was only 99 cents on Amazon, down from the usual $2.99 I've seen mentioned everywhere else.
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
To Tapatalk users only:

In updating to the latest version I am seeing something unexpected so Tapatalk may or may not be working. Unfortunately the only device I have on which to test it has a dead battery. I will test it as soon as my device is charged up and report back when it's working.
-SilverCrown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
Hi SC,
This is the message I get when trying to access TTB with the Tapatalk app:

Cannot connect to forum
This forum is either restricing access from Tapatalk or the installed Tapatalk plugin is not working.  Please ocnatct your forum administrator

For me this just started this evening.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Thanks, ILuvLucy. That's what I suspected would happen for users. It may be a day or so before I get a response from the Tapatalk guru to figure out why the update didn't work. Sorry about that.
-SilverCrown

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
I loves me my daily Tapatalk fixes of TTB, so I will be watching this thread for updates.  Thanks!

marci65

• Platinum Member
Mobile Users?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
Tapatalk looks like its working again

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
Really? It didn't work for me but I'll try again. Thanks for the information.

Update:  It is working for me as well. Thanks, again, Marci65 for letting us know.
-SilverCrown

classicbooks

• Gold Member
Mobile Users?
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »
Iluvlucy,
I was getting that same message earlier today also, but now it seems to be working fine

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »
Thanks! It started working again for me yesterday too.  I like to keep up with TTB using Tapatalk, but seldom post replies unless I'm writing something brief.  :)

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »
I am a new mobile user, also a member. So excited!
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
I am so old-fashioned when it comes to the newest technology, I only access the forum via my laptop. Would do it via my desktop PC, but it finally broke down and I was forced to move to a laptop! Why not on the phone...well, the thought just never occurred to me!  :rollseyes: Also, I like to concentrate on the forum and only access it when I am at home.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
I have an iPad that I use almost exclusively for internet surfiing and reading and posting to TTB. For my birthday my DH wanted me to have an iPhone so at 2 AM this morning I was up pre-ordering the newest iPhone. Even though I ordered the larger 6s Plus, I don't expect I will use it for posting. On my iPad my cover is also a small keyboard that makes typing easy. I won't have that for my iPhone. I am hoping, however, that texting will be easier on the larger format smartphone since often the only way to reach my sons is via texts. It seems that email is no longer fashionable for casual correspondence with young people.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart