News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What is the difference between Unread and Replies?  (Read 724 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
What is the difference between Unread and Replies?
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
In the upper right corner of our new theme are two buttons, Unread and Replies.

• Unread will show all posts since your last visit. If you don't log out between visits it will keep a running list of all unread posts. If you log out it will only show you the new posts from the time during which you were you logged out. This is useful if you want to see all new posts..
  • Replies will only show all posts that are replies to topics in which you have participated. Again, if you don't log out between visits, it will keep a running list of all unread replies to such posts; if you log out it will only show replies since you logged out or lost your connection. This is especially useful if you've asked a question and are looking for replies with answers.

If you know there were posts you didn't read but they aren't listed under Unread or Replies due to logging out or disconnection, there are a couple of ways to find them:
  • Look for colorful icons on the home page for boards that still have unread posts. Click on the board and look for topics that have a NEW icon next to them.
  • Upon clicking Unread or Replies, when there are no new posts a dark bar will appear with white text:

NO UNREAD TOPICS FOUND SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT.

Next to it is underlined orange text: CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL AVAILABLE UNREAD TOPICS..

The underlined orange text is a link to show the topics with posts you haven't seen.
FYI - Losing your connection does not automatically reset unread posts or replies. The settings on your computer(s) will determine that. I can close my browser without logging out, or lose my connection, on my desktop and upon reopening I'm still logged in and my Unread and Replies lists are preserved. On my laptop I have my browsers set differently so closing them or losing my connection will cause me to be logged out and then I have to resort to #2 above to see unread posts and replies.

Questions? You know we'll do our best to answer them. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:34:23 PM by SilverCrown »
-SilverCrown