News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Make Your Own Notepads to Reuse Paper  (Read 2487 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Make Your Own Notepads to Reuse Paper
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
We have tons of office paper used on one side and used to have staff to take it in and have it made into notepads for scratch paper. I've been wanting to do this myself and while there is a product called padding compound to make the sheets adhere into pads I thought that it couldn't be too hard or toxic to make. Turns out I was right.

Here's a recipe that uses unflavored gelatin, glycerin, and vinegar as the main ingredients to make a compound that stores for months in a jar.

Things You'll Need

1/4 oz. unflavored gelatin
3 tbsp. boiling water
Mixing bowl
Whisk
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. glycerin
Wide-mouth jar

Instructions

1. Pour the gelatin into the boiling water. Use the whisk to stir the mixture until it has dissolved and no grains of powdered gelatin are visible.

2. Add the vinegar and glycerin. Whisk for 1 minute or until thoroughly mixed.

3. Pour the mixture into the storage jar. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before use.

The mixture may become too thick to easily apply after two months. Place the sealed jar into a large bowl of hot water to resoften the padding compound.

Your paper padding compound will adhere to leather as well as paper.

I have the glycerin from using it for skin care so all I need is the gelatin and a paper cutter and I'm set. What a great way to use up the unused side of paper before recycling it. And, reading elsewhere, I think I might try adding some food coloring to the compound for fun. It might bleed into the paper so I'll have to experiment.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Make Your Own Notepads to Reuse Paper
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
This sounds so much nicer than my stack of pages I cut my used printer paper into.  I have always just cut the paper into fourths for making lists or taking phone messages, but having nice, neat pads would be better.  Come back and tell us if this works out for you, before I try it!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
After you've made the padding compound, how do you create the pad?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
Get the paper all cut to size and lined up with a flat surface. Use a brush to apply the compound. Might take 2 applications according to what I read about commercial compounds.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
I don't think I'll ever do this (too lazy), but the idea is great. I'd love to see the results!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Trying it on the cheap with a small bottle of commercial compound right now. Hand cut paper so it's not very even. The hardest part seems to be getting the sheets all lined up to stay. I clipped both sides of a small stack and brushed on the compound. It's drying now so we'll see what happens.

Oh, compound is water soluble so the brush washes out easily. One good thing so far.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
I'm not very crafty, so I'm still not sure about this.  Are you brushing across the top of the stack?  Or not? :doh:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
I just pulled the top sheet off my tidy notepad and it worked! The brush is clean and dry; I checked to be sure brushes wouldn't be an ongoing expense. I only used one coat though the instructions suggested a second coat if desired. Well, I didn't desire and it worked.

This time I just took about 25 sheets of paper and roughly cut them in half before using the padding compound across the top end of the stack. We have an office in the Minneapolis area that we are closing soon and there's a paper cutter there so I'll cut our pages in quarters to make future notepads. But I kind of like the half sheets, uneven though they are on the sides. They are just scratch paper anyway.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Great idea!  I'll have to try this. It will be a great gift, too. You can stamped a name on it and design. How fun!!  Thanks, Styyna!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

denverly

• Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing this idea! I have lots of papers at home and I also use notepads often because I don't trust my memory that much! I need to remind myself about certain tasks for me not to forget it. I will try making my homemade notepads after this.