News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Younger looking hands  (Read 3121 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Younger looking hands
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
What do you do to keep your hands looking good?
I have neglected mine lately. Used to exfoliate with sugar and olive oil weekly, but stopped. I still use half a lemon  to soften  my cuticles, and keep the  handcream by my bed, but never use it. Consequently my hands are looking wrinkly and a bit sad, very weak nails (some with ridges)...
I would like to improve the look of my poor hands-don't need to buy any handcream, because I have got loads, but do I need a separate nail/cuticle product ? I would like to paint my nails, a bit of colour would be nice... but I've been reading all these articles about how strong colours  make your hands look older and I sort of agree...Can you recommend any nice pale pink shades? I have got olive skin and I am not into anything too loud or shimmery. The best thing would be a professional manicure, but I haven't got a lot of time and my nearest nail parlour does not seem very attractive, whenever I pass  by I nearly choke with the smell of the products they use (the manicurists all wear masks).

christinedenice

• Gold Member
Re: Younger looking hands
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Milla, I can identify with much of what you said. I'm not very good about using hand cream, either. My hands look old with ropey veins, age spots, and wrinkles, and my nails have also become quite dry and weakened, which I guess is just a part of aging. I do wear them very short as a result.

Although I think wearing a bright or dramatic nail color is great on a mature hand (defiant?  :evil:), I can recommend a lovely pale pink polish: Essie's Mademoiselle. It never goes on streaky, which I've found to be the case with lots of other pale colors. I usually use two coats of it between a strengthening base coat (Nailtiques) and Seche Vite top coat.

For cuticles, I love Dior Creme Abricot.

I've become fond of wearing very long sleeves, especially those with thumb holes, although that only works in the colder months....hides a lot of the things I don't like about my hands.

• Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
I have often heard that the easiest way to guess a woman's age is to look at her hands.  I find that keeping my hands looking nice is a constant battle these days.  I think I spend more time on my short, natural-looking nails than I ever did when they were long and I changed my polish color just for the evening.

I do not think there is any substitute for using hand cream every chance you get, if you want your hands to look younger.  I know we have had that discussion here before, and if you prefer not to use the cream then you will have to accept the limitation that puts on your hands' appearance.  I am not trying to be critical here - it's only that our hands take such a beating over our lifetimes, and as we age it really starts to show on us. 

Exfoliating is a very good idea.  Try for once a week.  Follow that with a thick cream or oil and wear gloves overnight, if you want to make your hands softer and smoother.  You can use Vaseline, olive or jojoba oil, Aquaphor, or whatever you prefer.  I don't think you have to use a special cuticle oil, but if you would enjoy it, go ahead!

You can also use your face peel on your hands, if you use one.  Lately I have been finishing up my Peter Thomas Roth peel pad by wiping the tops of my hands with it.  This helps with the sun spots that most of us have.  Any product with AHA or glycolic acid will work, too.

I can recommend using a glass nail file.  I get a smoother edge and far less breakage since I switched.  They last forever and all you do is wash it off occasionally.  Don't drop it on ceramic tile, however.

For ridges, you could try using a nail buffer.  That works for me and my polish looks much better on smooth nails.  You may even feel more like going without polish after you buff.  This is another thing to do weekly!  There are ridge-filling base coats, but I never found one that truly worked for me.

If you can stand it, try wearing gloves when your hands will be in hot water or cleaning agents.  I despise them, personally, but this might be the single best thing you could do for your hands.

Make sure you get a balanced diet, especially protein.  Women sometimes cut back too far in that category.  Some people have success taking biotin supplements, but I've never tried them.

You might try the new polishes that are 3-free, for fewer harmful chemicals.  I am using Zoya right now, in the shade Lucy.  There are hundreds of nice, light shades out there, but I hesitate to recommend for your skin tone, since I am very cool.  Maybe you would like an ivory or sheer nude shade.  Zoya's site tells which shades are warm or cool, which is helpful.

Finally, a good base coat and top coat will also help your polish last better. 

Spending time on your nails and hands once a week will help you be more proud of them every day.  You might even be able to stretch that out for ten days.  I think it is time well spent.

In all of this, I assumed that you did not want to go the route of professional treatments.  Some women are getting all sorts of laser treatments, peels, and injections to make their hands look younger.  That's more than I would want to fool with, or pay for, but to each her own!

• Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:17:57 AM »
I just realized I left out something important!  (I know - my post was long enough already.)  We need to use a hand cream or body lotion with SPF, every day.  There's no need to work on the sun spots we have if we don't protect our hands from further sun damage.  This was my resolution for this year, and so far I have been sticking to it.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »
I have a few TMs in my "fail jail" - products I purchased that didn't perform. I started using them on my hands last month, and I love the results. Smooth, sun protected skin with a hint of natural looking healthy pigment.

In terms of age, I think that necks and elbows (viewed from the rear with arms hanging straight down at the sides) are the clearest indicator of age. You can't do much about wattles and those elbow rings. But your hands can respond quite well to anti-aging treatment and look as young as your face does.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
I use Neutrogena Ultra Shee with 55 SFP everyday. And, I do add more lotions when I wash my hands.  I also use at night the Vaseline Total Moisture Healthy Hand & Nail Conditioning Lotion

But it does have this warning on the back of the container and the following is from Walgreen's website:

SUNBURN ALERT: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS AN ALPHA HYDROXY ACID (AHA) THAT MAY INCREASE YOUR SKIN'S SENSITIVITY TO THE SUN AND PARTICULARLY THE POSSIBILITY OF SUNBURN. USE A SUNSCREEN, WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, AND LIMIT SUN EXPOSURE WHILE USING THIS PRODUCT AND FOR A WEEK AFTERWARDS..
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Essies have a lot of pale colors that you may love.  I love them during the summer months.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
I have a few TMs in my "fail jail" - products I purchased that didn't perform. I started using them on my hands last month, and I love the results. Smooth, sun protected skin with a hint of natural looking healthy pigment.

Good tip, Tupelo!  I'm going to try it.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I have a few TMs in my "fail jail" - products I purchased that didn't perform.

Love that term "fail jail"!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »

In terms of age, I think that necks and elbows (viewed from the rear with arms hanging straight down at the sides) are the clearest indicator of age. You can't do much about wattles and those elbow rings. But your hands can respond quite well to anti-aging treatment and look as young as your face does.

Absolutely! my neck is certainly showing signs of aging, especially after losing weight.As for using up the products that did not perform very well, that is good advice, too. I am already doing it; nothing gets wasted!

Mim

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »
Simms Sungloves - think they are made for fishing.  They are sort of skin colored and have the fingers out but cover the back of your hands and your wrists with sun protective fabric.  I keep a pair in the car - you would be surprised how much sun you get through the windshield and window when you are driving.  I have another pair to put on when I go outside with the dog.  For yard work I have a pair of regular gardening gloves.

Just wish I had found them at least 20 years ago.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
Simms Sungloves - think they are made for fishing. 

Excellent recommendation. I've spent very little time in the sun the past 20+ years but driving hasn't done good things to my hands, particularly my left hand. I find myself trying to hide the backs of my hands from the sun when driving. I'm going to look into these this weekend. Thanks!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
I am writing this down right now!  What a fabulous idea!

mikaelad

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
When you said wrinkly, it made me think of laser treatment. I wonder if that could be used on hands? I don't see why not, but I've never looked into it. This Alexandria laser skin doctor says it's a component of his facial rejuvenation, but I would like to know if that's just what it's most commonly used for or if it's possible. Does anyone know? Doing a Google image search looks like it's being done. Could be an interesting way to younger hands.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
I'm going for the gloves since I'm a chicken when it comes to anything do to with laser.  :lol: