News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: This and That  (Read 1450 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
This and That
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
Beauties -

From one of our topics:

I talk about things here that I don't talk about with anyone else.  I bet I'm not the only one, either. :wink:

You're certainly not the only one.

I remember being freaked out about my DH's health shortly after TTB went live. I didn't feel comfortable talking to friends and family about my concerns as I didn't think he'd want to be perceived as weak. This was a safe place to vent my fears and concerns and I received a lot of reassurance and strength in the form of prayers, good thoughts, and moral support. (DH is doing much better, BTW, and has finally sought and mostly accepted medical advice.)

I think that's one of the good things about the (relative) anonymity of being online. It's easier to mention those things that one isn't too sure about saying to, or asking of, a friend or family member.

Thinking back on my teen years, I can see why forums and similar sites are so popular with young people - all those awkward questions about dating, personal hygiene, and what-not can be asked and, on some sites anyway, the response is often "I'm so glad you asked because I've been afraid to ask for myself." The answers, while often funny (I'm thinking of places like Reddit which is like the Wild West but has some categories that are interesting and/or amusing), generally offer some pretty sound advice to those young people. We may not be in our teens but I don't think that means we can't appreciate the 'net in many of the same ways.

About topics - I usually love the twists and turns of our "conversations." Sometimes, though, a precious nugget gets lost in the process - maybe it seems to be a one-off and the author doesn't think it's worthy of its own topic. Please, don't be afraid to start new topics, even if it's just to make a comment that you don't expect others to follow up on. We have all the server space we need so there's no concern there. There is so much good advice tucked under topic titles that aren't always completely relevant - I want to be sure we maximize everyone's ability to refer back to all of it. Canie and I can split some topics up if something juicy pops up that deserves its own topic but too often that tidbit is too entwined in the original topic to make the split clean.

On another note - I am genuinely enjoying the international flavor of the forum. I've picked up interesting bits of information about places to which I've never been and, at the same time, discovered how much alike we all are in some ways. I love that everyone seems to be respectful about differences and that humor occasionally comes to the rescue when there is a misunderstanding.

Finally, to prospective members reading this - Registration has its benefits. We have boards that are not open to the general public so that we can have deeper conversations without worry that Google or another search engine is going to broadcast those conversations. Just something to think about. :)

Heartfelt thanks to all the Beauties who make The Timeless Beauty so successful!
-SilverCrown