News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: I think it's time to end my relationship with Glamour magazine  (Read 1715 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Actually, I've been thinking this for awhile now, but breaking up is hard to do  :rollseyes:.   I've been a long time subscriber - maybe 30 years??  An article in the May edition titled " 30 Things Every Woman Should Have ahd Should Know by the Time She's 30" finally pushed me to it. 
I'm not even sure when my subscription ends, but I'll be saving the $12/year for something else!  :lol: 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
Re: I think it's time to end my relationship with Glamour magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
It's sad. I too was a faithful subscriber for many years but let it go with love many years ago cause I couldn't relate.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
Maybe it's time to subscribe to More now!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
I ended Glamour some time ago. I liked Real Simple for quite a while but it started to be a lot less simple so I quit that, too. Just this past winter I finally subscribed to More. So far I like it.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

marci65

• Platinum Member
I think it's time to end my relationship with Glamour magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
I've subscribed to More since I was 39 --  I think they were openly targeting "women over 40" at that point, but they seem to have dropped that tag line a few years ago.  I really like it!

There are some magazines that I've subscribed to for decades, like Allure.  I tried Women's Health for a year but really felt I wasn't their target audience when I kept seeing the tiny fonts they used repeatedly in many articles month after month.  My eyes couldn't take it, and I didn't need reading glasses to read other magazines. No, they were not Readers Digest large print edition either!
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Luca Blue

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
So funny - I don't even bother looking at Cosmo or Glamour or - the list goes on and on.  I'm almost 41 and I can't find anything for myself in them anymore.  Now if I look at those magazines I do it for my daughters who are approaching the Glamour age. 
  • Complexion: Fair
  • Hair: Blonde, Fine, Straight

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
So funny - I don't even bother looking at Cosmo or Glamour or - the list goes on and on.  I'm almost 41 and I can't find anything for myself in them anymore.  Now if I look at those magazines I do it for my daughters who are approaching the Glamour age.

:lol:  My daughter is only 13 - still too young for Glamour, but I was thinking the same thing!  She is closer to their target audience than I am.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
Oh, Lucy!  Her time is coming.  Are there any good magazines for her age these days?  (I'm sure the ones I used to read are dead and gone by now!)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
Oh, Lucy!  Her time is coming.  Are there any good magazines for her age these days?  (I'm sure the ones I used to read are dead and gone by now!)

Well last summer she liked to read Tiger Beat (yes, that's still around!), and other similar magazines.  I didn't really like them because they've gotten really gossipy and quite racey.  I guess they'd be ok now that she's 13.  But I don't know anymore. 
Magazines like Teen Vogue, Seventeen, and Cosmo Girl are way too mature.  I think the one called "Girl's Life" might be acceptable to me for her.
She's not a big reader of anything.  So I try to find out what she likes, and encourage her to read.  Right now she's reading "The Hunger Games".   But mostly she'd rather surf the web than read.  :sigh:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
The Hunger Games is good for her age.  There are other series that her age group loves and most likely she will move on to another one when she finishes the trilogy.  Does she have to read for school on a regular basis?  I don't know if you have the Accelerated Reader program in your state or not.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
The Hunger Games is good for her age.  There are other series that her age group loves and most likely she will move on to another one when she finishes the trilogy.  Does she have to read for school on a regular basis?  I don't know if you have the Accelerated Reader program in your state or not.
Yes, there are books she's had to read for her Language Arts class.  She'll be starting high school next Sept., and will have summer reading to do for that.  I'm excited for it, and keep checking the hs web site for more info.  Needless to say, she feels quite the opposite. LOL.  When my son had to do summer reading, I read the book(s) along with him -  A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.  Surprisingly, I had never read it before, and really enjoyed it!

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:51 PM »
I've liked More magazine for many years.  My uber favorite was the famous issue with Jamie Lee Curtis.
I also read the J Jill catalogs  :lol:
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
Oh, good one, Cougar! :grin:

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »
I've just purchased my last InStyle. I'd been reading it primarily for the wardrobe ideas, but I really have to admit how much I dislike the (young) celebrity worship, so I won't get it again. One I do still like is Bazaar. Although it features celebrities, too  :rollseyes:, it's aimed at the more mature reader. With money. Which definitely isn't me. Oh well. It's inspiration. For now.   :lol:
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut