News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen  (Read 5795 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
"The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
I just finished reading this book today, and I'm not sure what I think about it!  I definitely felt it was interesting though. Has anyone else read it?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Land-Decoration-A-Novel/dp/0805094946/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
Wow - this looks fascinating!  Can you wait until I can find and read it?  Then we can talk!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Wow - this looks fascinating!  Can you wait until I can find and read it?  Then we can talk!

:ditto:

I just ordered it from Amazon. I have 1 1/2 books ahead of it so I'll probably be a bit behind Listy. I'll try to avoid this topic until I've finished the book. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
Yes, ok. can't wait to hear your opinions!  :)
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »
Right - we're on it!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Maybe we should think about starting a book group here. I'd love that. We could come up with a list of books to read, one every month or two months, for six months to start. What do you two think? And any others reading this, please chime in as well.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »
I think it is a great idea!  I can't think of any other group I would rather discuss a book with. :)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
Ooh I'm in!  :thumbup:
(needless to say LOL)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
Ooh I'm in!  :thumbup:
(needless to say LOL)
:ditto:  Let me buy it and get going on it first thing tonight. I have about 4 books that I am reading right now and will make this one the 5th.   :)  I'll let you know once I'm done. It shouldn't be long...  8)

OK - just purchased it. Do we have a timeframe as to when we should be finished with this book so that we can discuss?  Also, should wait to hear if anyone would like to join us, yes?  We should have a separate category for our Book Club.   :talk002:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:08:51 AM by SusieQ »
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
All great questions and ideas, SusieQ. And I like this idea a lot.

I think we probably could wait until there are at least a few people who have read this first book to begin the first discussion. I don't know what a good time frame might be for our kickoff; perhaps we should give it at least a couple of weeks so that those who want to get on board have time to do so.

I also don't know how frequently the book club members want to "meet." It could be monthly or bi-monthly I think.

As far as needing a separate section, since this board is already labeled Reading perhaps we can just come up with a convention for the subject. I suggest that whoever kicks off a topic for the latest book create a subject that begins with Book Club and includes the title of the book, like:

Book Club - The Land of Decoration

Then the discussion about that book will be under that one topic.

I am, however, open to a reason for adding a separate board. :) The only one I can think of is so that all the book discussions are in one place but if we use a subject line convention as I've suggested I think that would cover it.

One last thought - Perhaps in this thread interested bookworms can propose additional books for future reading and discussion. In my local book group we have one meeting where everyone brings suggestions and then they are voted upon. This happens annually so we have a year's worth of reading planned. I find that useful because I'm a bit of a binge reader and I can read ahead if I want.

We need input so, for those who are interested, here are the questions:

1. When should we begin our first discussion?

2. How often do we want to meet?

3. Do we need a separate board?

4. What books would you like the group to consider reading over the next year? Suggestions are optional but welcome. Depending on how many we receive, I might set up a poll.

5. Do you have any other questions or suggestions to make this successful?

It probably goes without saying that all TTB members are welcome to participate. :)
-SilverCrown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
You all know that by the time everyone reads and discusses this book, I'll have forgotten everything! Lol  :puzzled:
(You'll just have to remind me.)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
I put in a request with our local library to get the book for me.  They will borrow it from another library.  I'll start as soon as they get it.  (Small town.)  If I buy any more books my DH will probably evict me. :P

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I put in a request with our local library to get the book for me.  They will borrow it from another library.  I'll start as soon as they get it.  (Small town.)  If I buy any more books my DH will probably evict me. :P
That's where I get my books from. Just returned it today!   :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
Once we start discussing it, I'm sure that it will come back to you, Lucy?

SC, I'm not ignoring your post or questions. I'm thinking about it. I haven't seen too many people showing interest about TTB's Book Club but it may still be early.

Perhaps, a separate board is not needed, yet since there may only be a few of us interested but isn't that how a book club start? Small?   :)

I've been meaning to join one of our book club but haven't found the time. I mean, I could but haven't. So, my question about how often we should meet is you mentioned that you belong to one. How often do your group meet? Or if anyone else belongs to one and chime in on how often their group meets,  we can get a good average and go from there?
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
I agree with you, SusieQ, that we can start small. It appears there are four members currently interested and that's plenty to start. My local book club only has about a dozen members and seldom are they all at a meeting. We meet monthly but I've been in book clubs that met every other month, too. Sometimes monthly is just too much for busy people.

On the other hand, if we came up with a list of books for future "meetings" then we could meet monthly with TTB members picking and choosing which month they wish to meet. Certainly it's not mandatory that everyone read every book and participate. With a small group though it's helpful if at least two members read a given book. :)

I'll make some suggestions, based on books in a different post. They are books that my local club has selected either for this year or past years that I've already read.

Thanks for your input, SusieQ. Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?
-SilverCrown