News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen  (Read 5416 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
Some book clubs meet weekly, but they have a goal of certain chapters to complete each time - not the whole book.  Sort of like homework.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Since you wouldn't know about the book club by the original title of my topic I think that maybe we should create a topic stating that there is a book club forming? Maybe with a link to this thread?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Excellent idea, ILuvLucy! I'll do that now.
-SilverCrown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Excellent idea, ILuvLucy! I'll do that now.

:)
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:53 PM »
1. Once we decide how to set up the group, we need a couple of weeks to read the first book.
2. After we get started, we could meet monthly to give busy participants time to read.
3. I don't see a need for a separate board, since we have a Reading Board.  We can just start a topic about the book, can't we?
4. How does everyone feel about including non-fiction titles?  My mom is in a group reading a book about aging gracefully.  Something
    like that might be interesting to all of us.  It could be something beauty-related or a significant women's issue.  I don't have one in mind yet-
    just talking off the top of my head, you know. :)
5. Lots of books have discussion questions available online.  Or we could make up a few of our own, just to get things rolling.  I also like
    to know a little bit about the authors I read.  Their lives usually influence what they write.

I need to think about titles to suggest.  Something all of us can get interested in.  I won't push any of my weird stuff on y'all. :wink:   

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
Listy - I like your ideas and I definitely think that non-fiction can be considered for inclusion.

As for your recommendations, I'm open to weird stuff too! :) Maybe you can share some of those on the side if you don't want to suggest them to the whole group.

I wasn't aware of discussion questions online. I suppose I could poke at my friend Google and see if he can spew out some questions for the books I will recommend.

I'm really leaning toward monthly meetings myself. Perhaps we need a poll to determine the best day of the week and month to have it so as to be as inclusive of everyone as possible.

That's all I have for now as I am becoming very :yawn: and need to go to  :sleep:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
I think I'm for anything goes with the list of books.  My mom and MIL love their mystery books and I get them all.  So, I'm opening to any fictions and non-fictions.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »

I would LOVE to be part of this group!
This is just a suggestion but I wonder if it would be more enjoyable if we all choose a brand new book that none of us have read, and all start together. For instance,
read one chapter at a time and, let's say, make Monday through Wednesday "reading days" and then Thursday through Sunday, "chatting days".

I would be pleased to read just about anything. Fiction, non-fiction... it's all good, for me. Ideally my hope is that the book also comes in the Kindle version, so I can download it onto my I Pad and read it while I commute to and from work, but if not, that's okay too.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
Please read my other topic about this and cast your vote for your preference. Thanks. :)
-SilverCrown

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »
In response to chataround's suggestion, if we do decide to choose a new book then some of us can still discuss Lucy's book with her on the side.  I am curious enough from her comment to want to read it.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 05:40:41 AM »

I hate to have stirred anything up.... I would like to read the book Lucy recommended as well.....
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
Oh - I didn't think you stirred anything up - not at all!  Yours was a valid comment, and possibly Lucy would like that better as well.  We are just exploring ideas here, so feel free to speak up!

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Makinalist has it exactly right. It's best for everyone to get their ideas out there now. While we can make changes as we go, I think it's wise to get everyone's input at the outset so that we do this somewhat thoughtfully and don't have to make a lot of adjustments as we go. I want it to work for as many people as possible.

Chataround, your idea about breaking books up into chapters was floated before in slightly different terms by Makinalist. I don't want us to drag out getting started forever so that's why I promptly posted the poll. All you did was move things along a little bit. :)

Speaking of the poll, don't forget to vote. Last I looked there were four votes and I believe we now have at least five interested members so whoever you are, go break that tie!

-SilverCrown

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »
While I can go either way - a book a month (or whatever) or chapter(s) each week - I wonder how the latter would work for those who borrow books from the library. I don't want everyone to have to buy a book to participate as that might exclude some. Does anyone have any insight into how that might work?

As for what book to start out with, I'm in favor of starting with the book that began this discussion. At least a couple of us have already obtained the book and it just seems that we should start with that original book. I could be persuaded otherwise I suppose - always open to looking at something from a different perspective.

And, regarding reading books that none of us have read - I'll just throw in my thought about that. I would love to reread and discuss books. Just like movies, I often miss things the first time around.

Chataround - I realize that it might feel like I'm taking exception to your suggestions. I promise that I'm not taking a stance against what you wrote. I am glad you "stirred" things up because you brought up good points. :hug:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
I voted in the poll, but I wanted to say that I'm fine with whatever we chose!  :)