News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen  (Read 5515 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: "The Land of Decoration" by Grace McCleen
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Trying to keep things moving along, I'd like to make a couple suggestions and follow them up with two questions.

Suggestion 1: Based on the poll results, I suggest that we read "The Land of Decoration" straight through.

Suggestion 2: Because the vote was so close, perhaps we could try the weekly chapter(s) at a time for our next book.

Question 1:  How long does everyone need to obtain and read the book? That determines when our first discussion gets started. I can commit to having the book read within a week from tomorrow.

Question 2:  Is anyone strongly opposed to my suggestion for the second book? You don't need to reply here. You can instead send SilverCrown a PM. I realize that for some the weekly commitment might be asking too much. We are small so it's important to be as inclusive as possible.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to run the show here but I think it's important to keep this moving along or we'll never get started. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to run the show here but I think it's important to keep this moving along or we'll never get started. :)
Every discussion group needs a facilitator!  :) 
(I run our women's bible study group, and we frequently meander way, way off topic - I'm not a very good leader.  :rollseyes:)

Question 1:  How long does everyone need to obtain and read the book? That determines when our first discussion gets started. I can commit to having the book read within a week from tomorrow.
As you know, I already read the book - so I'm ready! 

Question 2:  Is anyone strongly opposed to my suggestion for the second book? You don't need to reply here. You can instead send SilverCrown a PM. I realize that for some the weekly commitment might be asking too much. We are small so it's important to be as inclusive as possible.
I'm happy to give this a try for our next book.   I get my books from the library, so sometimes I may not be quite up to speed with everyone.  Sometimes I have to wait for a book, and some books are allowed out for 14 days and cannot be renewed. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »
I will usually get my books from the library as well.  I put in a request for Lucy's book when we first started talking about it and I'm still waiting.  I'm a fast reader, though, so as soon as I get it I'll catch up.  If a book is in paperback I won't object to buying it if I need to. 

I'm beginning to think we should just set a time to finish the book.  We do need to be flexible.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

I'm beginning to think we should just set a time to finish the book.  We do need to be flexible.

:agreed:

I'm fishing for an idea of how long everyone needs. Do you have any idea when you are likely to get your book, Listy?

Everyone else - except ILuvLucy because she's read it and instigated this whole idea :) - how long do you need to obtain and read the book? As soon as we have a handle on that I think we can set a time.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
Well, that is the trouble with a library request.  There is no timetable -- it depends on who else is reading the book and when they return it.  I don't even know if anyone else has a request ahead of mine.

As I said, if there is a paperback version I don't mind buying it.  I will look for it right now! :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 07:31:04 AM »
Ah - I did not realize how new this book is!  Just published in March of this year, it is not available in paperback.  Amazon has it for $14.70, and the Kindle Edition is $11.99.

If my library doesn't come up with it soon, I will order it. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
 :lol: I just voted and created another tie. I'm sowwy! :lol:  I have the book and read a few chapter but I haven't been able to pick it again - work. But, I will start again tonight.  The reason I voted for reading a few chapter is that we can start the discussion while it's still fresh in Lucy's mind. That's where I was coming from when I voted.  :wink: But, I'm flexible. I read three books in one weekend so this won't be an issue, too. :-)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
:lol: I just voted

So we have a sixth member interested and she has voted! And I think that's great. Maybe one or more members don't want to take part in the discussion but want to read along. :)

Does everyone but Listy have the book or access to the book? If so, then we can wait for Listy to get her hands on it and maybe we could read and discuss this first book as we go along. But that's not just my decision to make. Anyone who has an opinion or idea should speak up - and soon! We want to get started as soon as everyone is ready.  :hyper:

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

LOL, thank you, Styyna!

I think this book is a wonderful one to start with. I just hope it generates lots of conversation after it is read in its entirety, if that is the final decision.
It's a good point, that those taking it from the library would have a problem, since it is due back within a finite amount of time, and it would be a shame
to be exclusionary for no reason.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Hi ladies, just an FYI. I'm on Book 1: Evidence. So, I have nine chapters to go before Book II.   :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
I think I'm going to order a used copy of the book from Amazon.  I don't want to be the one holding up our group's beginning and besides - I'm anxious to get started!  I should have it in a few days.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 11:49:27 PM »
I think I'm going to order a used copy of the book from Amazon.  I don't want to be the one holding up our group's beginning and besides - I'm anxious to get started!  I should have it in a few days.
Aww Listy, I didn't mean to push. We have plenty of time. I have five books that I am reading right now. So, I'm in no hurry.  :lol:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
You weren't pushing me at all, SusieQ!  I am pushing myself so we can get this thing rolling.  It's our first try at this and I'm eager to see how we do with it.  I have never been part of a book club before.

I did see a good tip about what to do for readers who finish early.  Sometimes they might read something else by the same author for comparison.  Of course, that won't work for this newly-published writer, but they could look into her background info and see how her life may have influenced her subject matter. 

I happen to know that life has greatly influenced Ms. McCleen's first novel. :wink:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
I've started reading the book. I had totally forgotten what it was about so it's been a page turner for me. I'm about 25% of the way through (according to my Kindle).

I hope that Listy is the last one to get the book as that means we should be able to start our first discussion soon! I'm really looking forward to that.

And, no, I am not going to be a discussion leader. It's everyone's group and I hope that everyone just chimes in when and as they feel like it. That part will hopefully take on a life of its own. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
My book will be here by Wed. of this week. :D