News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: If you could name just one fragrance as The Best, what would it be?  (Read 8296 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: If you could name just one fragrance as The Best, what would it be?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
Donnachloe - Are you referring to Sung by Alfred Sung? I remember wearing that back in the '80s or thereabouts and quite enjoying it. Then I think my body chemistry or the formulation changed because it suddenly was too cloying for me. What a loss that was.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »
The Sung perfume in the original formulation that was made in the 1980's.  I have never found a perfume that smelled as good on me and elicited as many comments before or since.  And I am a perfume junkie!
Donnachloe

nice to have another perfume junkie in the neighborhood! 
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

Donnachloe

• Cluny Grey Jewelry
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46:43 AM »
Yes, this was Alfred Sung.  It was reformulated and what you get now is just an echo of the great juice that it used to be.  So many perfumes have been reformulated; it's very disappointing not to have those fragrances now.
  • Complexion: very fair
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: golden brown with red tint (covering my grey)
Donnachloe

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
Donnachloe - reformulation is a real bummer, isn't it? These days I can't tell whether scents don't smell the same on me due to my body changes or due to reformulation. Either way, I'm having a difficult time finding something that I like.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Donnachloe

• Cluny Grey Jewelry
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
So am I.  I want a new signature fragrance, the way that Sung was for me, but I just haven't found it yet.  The closest I've come is Jasmin Noir by Bulgari, but it doesn't really have good staying power. I do like Creed's Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie (so expensive with the cheapest bottle being 240.00 of any of the colognes, perfumes, etc.), but I've only been trying it in a decant. Right now I'm "fragrance hopping."
  • Complexion: very fair
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: golden brown with red tint (covering my grey)
Donnachloe

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »
I do not know if I have a favorite scent anymore. I used to love some of the Estee Lauder fragrances but I do not know if they are reformulating some of my old favorites or its a quality control issue but some do not smell the same. Also because of what I have to do job wise I have to forgo wearing most everyday scents. Right now looking into solid perfumes and soaps body lotions that leave a LIGHT scent maybe only I can smell. I prefer earthy type (woodsy,unisex) of fragrances especially in cooler weather.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

sashamy

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
Diorissimo used to be my signature fragrance until Dior discontinued it. I then switched to Calyx by Prescriptives, but use it sparingly because I feel it is a little strong, but very longlasting. Surprisingly, men quite often ask me what scent I use and where can they buy it for their girlfriends/wives.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
Diorissimo discontinued? Since when? I am sure I have seen it in the shops recently! I used to love Diorissimo some 20 years ago and I still love it but I cannot wear it.
At the moment I am loving Narciso Rodriguez  'For Her'.

sashamy

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »
Diorissimo discontinued? Since when? I am sure I have seen it in the shops recently! I used to love Diorissimo some 20 years ago and I still love it but I cannot wear it.

I should have said, reformulated, not discontinued. Dior was bought out in the 1990s and The current fragrance is not the one I remember using in the 1970s and 1980s.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
I hate it when they reformulate scents! Can't think of anything that got better....

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
I hate it when they reformulate scents! Can't think of anything that got better....

This is so true! Why don't they rename the reformulations instead of trying to pass them off as the same thing?

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:35 AM »

This is so true! Why don't they rename the reformulations instead of trying to pass them off as the same thing?

:ditto: :sigh:

What a disappointment it is to find one of the old favorites is now something else altogether. Why on earth do they not change the name?? They should at least put a huge red sticker on the bottle saying "Warning! Reformulated!".

Still missing my Lumiere by Rochas, for example.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:16 AM »
Do you have the EDT or EDP?  (Sorry if you already told us this...)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

sashamy

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
I just bought a body spray (I guess you could call it that) at Ulta in a gardenia scent and love that. It is not overpowering which is what I love nowadays and seems to have staying power. It is Ulta's own label. I did not look at any other ones as I fell in love with this one and bought it immediately.

I also love Avon's Naturals body spray in cucumber melon for the summer as this is a very very light scent.

I reserve all my perfumes now for going out in the evenings and the body sprays for everyday.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
I am amazed that you found body sprays that actually last!  I love them in the summer but wish they would last longer on me.  Maybe I'll try Ulta's next time -- thanks.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce