News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: If you could name just one fragrance as The Best, what would it be?  (Read 8297 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: If you could name just one fragrance as The Best, what would it be?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
Listy, I have got the EDT, which is lighter so you can spray it more liberally, but I will get the EDP, I think...

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
I have heard that the EDP is more flowery than the EDT, milla.  If that doesn't sound appealing to you maybe you should get a sample first?  NR for Her is a scent that many people prefer only in the EDT.  Not sure why, unless it is the extra florals in the EDP.

Does the EDT last well on you?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
I don't think it lasts as much as some other scents, but people have complimented me....

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
That does mean a lot...do others still notice it after you can no longer smell it?  That often happens to me.

Une Femme

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
I keep wantiing to respond to this question but I have no single answer for it!  If I absolutely had to make a 'desert island' choice, it would have to be Chanel's Cristalle.  No, make that Penhaligon's Bluebell.  See?  Impossible!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
I think my answer to this question is that I haven't found The Best yet! 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
I had another compliment today. I walked into the reception and the office staff all started saying that there 'was a lovely smell here, what is it?' But I swear I can't smell it on me. apart from when I spray it on! Strange...

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
I keep wantiing to respond to this question but I have no single answer for it!  If I absolutely had to make a 'desert island' choice, it would have to be Chanel's Cristalle.  No, make that Penhaligon's Bluebell.  See?  Impossible!

I couldn't bring myself to throw out my Penhaligon's Bluebell bottle and box when I'd finished it. I shouldn't hoard though :(
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 04:48:45 AM »
I've never thrown away my Mitsouko bottles. Even when I go through a phase when I don't want to wear it, and I can't wear it in the Summer, I still like to keep the bottle! I have got one in a drawer of my desk at work and I like to open it and smell it! call me sad :( and silly ??? and weird :eek:, but I just love the bottle and the scent even when I don't feel like wearing it. It is a love affair!!!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »
I am so envious!  There has never been a scent I would save empty bottles of.  Maybe if I knew my favorite was going to be discontinued, I don't know.   I had a favorite musk oil back in the 70's, but that type of scent is illegal now so I will never have one like it again.  I wouldn't mind having an empty bottle of that one -- it was utterly sexy and sensual.

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
I don't profess to have enough perfume knowledge to be able to name a global Best Perfume, but my personal Best is Chanel Sycomore

The vetiver makes it fresh enough to wear in warm weather, the woodsy notes make it deep enough to wear in colder weather and to give it staying power.  I feel like it can be dressed up or down, is appropriate for everyday and for special occasions.  It's light and inoffensive enough to wear to work, but still unique and not your run-of-the-mill office-safe scent.

It feels sexy and sophisticated and special, and when I wear it I feel like my best ME.  And it's the best compliment getter I've ever worn.
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Faire

• Silver Member
  • True beauty resides in the heart
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »
For me, my favouite scent was 'KL' by Karl Lagerfeld. I have no way to explain what this scent was like other than to say it was deep, rich, and sensual, so, of course they discontinued it.:argh:
  • Complexion: Fair, clear, and on the dry side
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Very long, wavy, and graying
Bless'd Be

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
Joy by Jean Patou.

A former boyfriend insisted on spraying it on a handkerchief and then placing it in a ziploc to tuck under his pillow at night.

sheesh!
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
For me, my favouite scent was 'KL' by Karl Lagerfeld. :

Oh, Faire, for some 20 years KL was DH's and my favorite perfume too!   We first found it in 'duty free' on an airplane, then at the department stores.  When they stopped carrying it, we found it in St. Thomas at a 'duty free' and bought 2 bottles.  When I finally ran out of that precious juice we both mourned.

Last year I finally found a scent that we both love and is similar to that spicy, sweet goodness - Coco by Chanel.  If course, it is from their premiere line, but one squirt lasts all day.  If you can stop by Chanel boutique (I have also seen Coco at Neiman's) see what you think.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Faire

• Silver Member
  • True beauty resides in the heart
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
For me, my favouite scent was 'KL' by Karl Lagerfeld. :

Oh, Faire, for some 20 years KL was DH's and my favorite perfume too! Last year I finally found a scent that we both love and is similar to that spicy, sweet goodness - Coco by Chanel.  If course, it is from their premiere line, but one squirt lasts all day.  If you can stop by Chanel boutique (I have also seen Coco at Neiman's) see what you think.

Really, poppy? We have a Dillard's here with a Chanel counter. I'm gonna run  :dog: over tomorrow and see. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!  :bowdown:
  • Complexion: Fair, clear, and on the dry side
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Very long, wavy, and graying
Bless'd Be