News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: A setting for showing the little "face" for threads we have posted in?  (Read 1633 times)

marci65

• Platinum Member
I thought I used to see a little square smiley face type of icon in the list of threads that I previously participated in.  Today, I noticed that that icon is not showing anymore.  I clicked on the threads that I thought I participated in to make sure that I did, in fact, previously participate.  Did that icon get dropped, or maybe I messed up my settings for that to show somehow when I was changing other things. 

Please let me know if I can do something to fix this.  I miss the little square face -- it was very helpful. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

SilverCrown

• Administrator
To be honest that's not a feature that I've paid much attention to but now that you mention it, it's kind of cool and it is working for me. I'll poke through our profile settings to see if there is something you can adjust to get them back.
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Marci65 and anyone else with this problem,

I haven't found a setting that affects the display of those particular icons.

My first suggestion is to try logging out of TTB, closing your browser completely, and then restarting from there. Open your browser, go to thetimelessbeauty.com, log in, and see if it's fixed.

If not, you might try doing the same as above but clear your browser's cache before you restart it. (If you need assistance clearing your cache let me know what browser you're using and I'll guide you through. It's easy.)

If both of the above fail then try rebooting your computer.

My guess as to the cause: You may have a corrupted version of the main display page for topics temporarily saved to your computer. That page isn't necessarily downloaded every time you visit the site. Sometimes only the data to fill the page with topics, etc. is served to you with a copy of the page being saved in your cache or, possibly, in your computer's temporary memory. That's a feature of nearly all sites as it reduces bandwidth and the amount of time it takes to display a page.

If none of the above works, please let me know. We'll get it working one way or another!
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Just following up. Did this problem get resolved? Thanks. :)
-SilverCrown

Canie

• Administrator
I believe marci65 may still be out of town. :)
-Canie

marci65

• Platinum Member
A setting for showing the little "face" for threads we have posted in?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
I'm baaaack, but still in Miami airport :)  will be back online at home tomorrow and will check for the faces then. Thanks for the suggestions; I will try them!

marci65

• Platinum Member
The little faces are back for me when I click the "unread" link in the top right corner of the webpage.  I noticed that when I click the "replies" link, I don't see the faces there.  I thought that was supposed to be replies to topics that I participated in so I was expecting to see the little faces showing there (they still don't show there).   It may have been that was what I was seeing when I made my original post. 

SilverCrown

• Administrator
To the best of my knowledge (based solely on poking around myself) the face will show when you are at the main level of a board where the topics are displayed and for the topics that display when you click on "Unread." These are the two places where topics that you may or may not have posted in are listed and the face is one of the cues that the icon gives you for each topic. That icon also indicates how active that post has been. See the legend at the bottom of the pages that have that icon for more information.

When you are on the home page you shouldn't see that icon, with or without a face. Instead, next to each board, there is a little speech bubble icon surrounded by a circle that will be blue if there is a new post (on the default theme). Note that if you click on that board but don't visit all the unread topics that the home page icon will not show that you still have unread topics on that board. It's an minor bug that I haven't had time to address.

For those who don't know what little face icon we are talking about, on the pages mentioned above it's the icon in the farthest left column next to each topic.

Keep me posted if there are any issues with this.
-SilverCrown