News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Home or Gym?  (Read 16955 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Home or Gym?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
If one can find Russian kettlebells that are light enough for beginners, they're supposed to be awesome and with certain compound exercises with these, one also gets a combo strength-train/cardio effect with them - perfect for very busy people, or those who are looking to punch up their routine and use muscles differently. I've seen a couple of trainers working with men with these at my gym, but not women. Maybe likely because right now the kettlebells are a little too heavy for many beginner women to use. Just a thought anyway!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Kettlebells look like this and come in various weights.  My DS and DIL both use them in their Crossfit workouts.  You can Google for examples of workouts to do with them and I can say with certainty that women can use them.  The image I copied here is a 10-lb. kettlebell at Amazon.

My DIL is a tiny little thing, maybe 112 lbs. soaking wet and a size nothing, and she swings these things around with a passion!

• Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »
Thanks!!!  I am going out today to find the right weight!  I really think mixing up your workouts is the key to happiness!!!!!!!!!!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
Since we talked about this, I checked with my DIL -- she swings a 35-lb. kettlebell!  DS said that you do need to get training in the correct way to use these or you could hurt yourself -- specifically, your back.

Nepthys

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »
I just joined Lifetime Fitness and so far I love it. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny - that place really does have everything. I work from home and decided it would be a good opportunity to get out of the house, meet people and take some good classes rather than trying to do yoga/pilates on my own from DVDs.

Now to get my friends to join....  :Devil:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:59 PM »
This makes perfect sense for you.  Plus there is no substitute for a good instructor and the camaraderie of a class.

sau

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:08 AM »
I found a certified Russian Kettlebell trainer who came to my house yesterday!  He should me some of the basics and I really think this my be my new workout!  The kettlebells are expensive, so i am only purchasing the 35 lb. to get started.  I am excited to get started. (Supposed to lift the bum!)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
I'm so glad you found a trainer!  That is the best way to be successful and not get hurt.  Good luck with your new program.