News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for next book?  (Read 6776 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Ideas for next book?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Fantasy + Intelligent Writing = My kind of novel!
Me, too!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »
   I have another suggestion, but it is definitely not a fantasy book. However, the writing is superb and the subject matter is haunting.

It's called Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. It is about a woman who, at age 50 I believe, is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The book is written in her voice.
It is not an easy read but I think there is so much for us to talk about. I will go to amazon and add a better accounting of this book:

"Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what's it's like to literally lose your mind..."

This book received 630 reviews, and a whopping 491 of them gave the book 5 stars, the highest mark possible.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »
I was thinking of adding that to my list as well.

I have another suggestion, but it is definitely not a fantasy book. However, the writing is superb and the subject matter is haunting.

It's called Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. It is about a woman who, at age 50 I believe, is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The book is written in her voice.
It is not an easy read but I think there is so much for us to talk about. I will go to amazon and add a better accounting of this book:

"Still Alice is a compelling debut novel about a 50-year-old woman's sudden descent into early onset Alzheimer's disease, written by first-time author Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph. D in neuroscience from Harvard University.
Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children and a house on the Cape, is a celebrated Harvard professor at the height of her career when she notices a forgetfulness creeping into her life. As confusion starts to cloud her thinking and her memory begins to fail her, she receives a devastating diagnosis: early onset Alzheimer's disease. Fiercely independent, Alice struggles to maintain her lifestyle and live in the moment, even as her sense of self is being stripped away. In turns heartbreaking, inspiring and terrifying, Still Alice captures in remarkable detail what's it's like to literally lose your mind..."

This book received 630 reviews, and a whopping 491 of them gave the book 5 stars, the highest mark possible.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
It sounds like a fascinating read, but might be difficult emotionally.  I would need someone to hold my hand while I read that one!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
It sounds like a fascinating read, but might be difficult emotionally.  I would need someone to hold my hand while I read that one!
Me, too. I would be sobbing too much and will end up not finishing the book.  I can't do this books.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Ever read Marley and Me?  I finished that one at work and had to do major makeup repair.  Sad dog books are the absolute worst for me.  I also had serious difficulty with The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (which I also bought for my son) and For One More Day by Mitch Albom (which the son forced me to read).

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
I loved Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture. I haven't heard of For One More Day but the title alone makes it sound like I might like it.

I can't read animal stories that are sad. Or stories about children that are sad for that matter. The innocent and the helpless really tug at me.

Still Alice is definitely going on my reading list. As is Gone Girl.

I recently finished a number of books, the authors of which I don't recall. Steve Jobs, The Paris Wife, We Band of Angels, and one more that escapes me. Steve Jobs was a fascinating read - he was a unique person. The Paris Wife is about Earnest Hemingway's first wife and is beautifully told. And We Band of Angels is about a group of nurses during WWII who were simply amazing (and all survived).

If I were to recommend a book of those I've recently finished I'd probably go with We Band of Angels for this group.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
Ever read Marley and Me?  I finished that one at work and had to do major makeup repair.  Sad dog books are the absolute worst for me.  I also had serious difficulty with The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (which I also bought for my son) and For One More Day by Mitch Albom (which the son forced me to read).
I heard about Marley and Me and I did not touch the book or watch the movie.  :)

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
Thank you, chataround. I've added Still Alice to my reading wish list.

I am avid for anything to help me understand what it is like for my friend who has this cruel disease. Funnily enough, I reassure her regularly by telling her that she is "still Alice", except of course I use her real name.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »
Is anyone here ready to vote on one of the many books that have been named in this topic? I'd like to keep things moving.

I propose to give this topic a few more days (probably a week so everyone has a chance to see my post) so that other books can be suggested. Then I'll take all the books named in this topic and create a poll for us to vote for our next book.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
I see that time is slipping away and apparently not just for me.  :falling leaves: are already giving way to :22: in some places.

I suggest that we give some thought to a book that we'd all like to read after the holidays. Does that sound like a good idea to all interested parties?

If so, it would be greatly appreciated if everyone would suggest a book or two for us to consider so that we can decide between now and Jan. 1 what book we want to read. Some will want to find it at their library so, especially if we select a more recent title, we need to allow ample time for everyone.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
Hi Styyna,
I agree with you.  Some books are hard to get at my library.  Not sure why.  I've been on the list to read "Gone Girl' since August!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 12:23:03 AM »
I would love it if we picked one that none of us has read yet.  Then we would discover it together.  Unless, of course, we can't find one that way.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »

There are two that are of interest to me, and I have not read either, before. One is called The End of Your Life Book Club, and the other is called The Weird Sisters.
Take a look on amazon, let me know what you all think. Sorry I don't have the authors' names handy! Just some suggestions.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »
The End of Your Life Book Club (by Will Schwalbe) - 4.5 stars on Amazon - This looks like a fabulous read, emotional but also funny - a memoir about the author's mother.  Loving books as so many of us do, I know we would enjoy this one, if we can handle the sad parts.

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown - 4 stars on Amazon - Another interesting choice!  The story of three sisters who love each other, but just don't happen to like each other very much...   Fiction, with literary references on the side

These both look good to me - nice choices!