News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for next book?  (Read 6775 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Ideas for next book?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Weird Sisters. Onlly because I don't know if I can handle the sad part so close to the holidays.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
I'm leaning towards the Weird Sisters. Onlly because I don't know if I can handle the sad part so close to the holidays.  :)

Even if I don't read this until just after the holidays, I don't need sad stuff during the dark days of January (although I always think about Anne in Finland whenever I complain about how short our winter days are).

I'll cast a vote for Weird Sisters.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Ideas for next book?
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
Weird Sisters looks good. After waiting almost 4 months, Gone Girl was ready for me at my library. I picked it up yesterday and started reading last night. I don't think I'll have as much trouble getting Weird Sisters.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »
Well, now that you finally have your hands on Gone Girl, Lucy, maybe we should read that and save The Weird SIsters for the next book?

What does everyone think? Can everyone else who's interested obtain Gone Girl so that we could read it for discussion in January? I suggest this because there seems to be a desire to find a book that we can all read together. Now that I think of it, has anyone already read this book? (It's too early in the AM for me to look back and see.) If so, then that kind of defeats an effort to use Gone Girl for our next book.

I know everyone is busy getting ready for the holidays but if all interested parties could weigh in on this over the next few days - say by Dec. 5th - that would be helpful.

I think the choices are Gone Girl and The Weird Sisters.

I haven't read either book so I lean towards reading GG since Lucy has just started it but if someone else has already read GG and would prefer a fresh book then I'm fine with TWS.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »
I would be happy for anyone to read Gone Girl with me.   I think a couple of us have read it already though.  Unfortunately, I don't have a choice as to timing.  I'm reading it now because it's due back at the library by Dec. 10, with no renewals.  Popular book!
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
I haven't read either book, so I'm easy!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »
I haven't read either book, so I'm easy!
:ditto:  I requested the book from our library just now.  I'll catch up.  :D   :bunny:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »
I'd been meaning to read this but after seeing the Lincoln movie, this is a must for me:

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Hey Coug, Maybe join us with Gone Girl now and then we could all read Team of Rivals for our next book? Does that interest you at all? It sounds like our small group is closing in on GG for our next book but I, too, would like to read ToR.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Ideas for next book?
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
I finished Gone Girl about a month ago, and have read 4 other books since then. SO, I'm a little foggy on the specifics but I do remember that I thought it was good Lol!
Anyone else?

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29:11 AM »
Wow!  You are a reading machine, Lucy!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »
Wow!  You are a reading machine, Lucy!
LOL, Listy.  :lol:  It's my escape. :reading2: Though I've always loved to read. The only problem is that I sometimes forget what I've read.  I've been keeping a list now in Goodreads (online & app).
I just finished A Game of Thrones.  And before that it was The Time Keeper (M. Albom), Mr.Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (R.Sloan), & Proof of Heaven (E. Alexander)
Thank goodness for my library!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
I have to second Listy here. I have Gone Girl but haven't even turned it to the first page yet. My reading has been much more utilitarian than pleasurable lately. I haven't even had time to watch the first episode of this season's Downton Abbey though I have it recorded so hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

I think we're at a point where we're wide open as far as a new book is concerned. Since ILuvLucy has finished GG, perhaps we could find a different book that is new to all of us? Lucy, what are you planning to read next? That might be a good starting point since you are our galloping reader. :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Lucy, what are you planning to read next? That might be a good starting point since you are our galloping reader. :)
How about we let her pick one and then give the rest of us a head start? :grin:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »
Lucy, what are you planning to read next? That might be a good starting point since you are our galloping reader. :)
How about we let her pick one and then give the rest of us a head start? :grin:

This is actually not a bad idea. What do you say, Lucy? Want to choose a book that you haven't read and give us a heads up so we can get a jump start on it? You seem to find very interesting books and we want you to enjoy participating, too.