News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Ideas for next book?  (Read 7150 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Ideas for next book?
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
Correction!  Now it will be tomorrow (Friday)!  I'm excited!

I did see some discussion questions plus an interview with the author online.  They seem best suited to discussion after the book is finished, though.  One tidbit: She is working on her second book.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Maybe after we finish the book we can take a look at the discussion materials, Listy. That might be a nice way to wrap up the book.

You asked if the chapters are long...I've read a few and they don't seem long to me but I kind of lose track when I'm reading.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
I was notifed on Monday that Gone Girl is ready for me to pick up. I hope I don't get them mix up when we are discussing the Weird Sisters.  :lol:

Both are good reading... :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I can't read two fiction books at the same time, SusieQ!  I know I'd mix everything up.  :rollseyes:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
I have Gone Girl but I've been holding off reading it until we finish with The Weird Sisters. I thought it might be a candidate for our next book. There are lots of books to be read though. :)

Onto more pertinent topics!

First, I'd like to get our discussion of the first chapter off the ground next week if that's possible. Let's choose a day of the week. Please, would each of you chime in and let us know what day(s) of the week will work for you? Naturally the discussion doesn't all have to take place on that day but at least it's a starting point and a way to bring some order to our group.

I'll start by saying that any day of the week works for me but my first choice would be Wednesdays.

Next, I see a problem with discussing the book chapter by chapter or even a few chapters each week. Those who have the book from the library may not have enough time to work through the book over a period of weeks. Any ideas?

To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

Why don't we chat on two consecutive Wednesdays and find a chapter that splits the book down the middle. We can read up to a certain chapter by Wednesday, discuss
the first half of the book, and then use the following Wednesday to comment on the second half. I understand that those with library books don't have the luxury of keeping it for months on end...... I just want to start reading already, LOL.

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
That sounds like a good idea to me!  I'm sitting here fidgeting while I wait for my book.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
I like your suggestion Chataround!

Can everyone be ready by next Wednesday to discuss the first half of the book?

If not, what about the first three chapters (picking a random number here), just to get started? Then we could split the rest of the book in half and discuss the remaining halves over the two following Wednesdays.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
I like your suggestion Chataround!

Can everyone be ready by next Wednesday to discuss the first half of the book?

If not, what about the first three chapters (picking a random number here), just to get started? Then we could split the rest of the book in half and discuss the remaining halves over the two following Wednesdays.

I can definitely be finished with the first half by Wed.  It's 23 chapters, so read through chapter 12?
My library book isn't due back until Feb. 24, and even then, I should be able to renew it, so don't feel the need to go quickly because of me!
On the other hand I love to read, so depending on how dull my weekend is, I might not be able to stop at chapter 12.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Well, I think we should shoot for the first half of the book, through Chapter 12, by next Wednesday. If someone else chimes in and has a problem with that we can handle it when it comes up.

Ladies - start reading!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:08 AM »
As it turned out, I just got my copy yesterday.  Today, however, I read six chapters of it.  I'm finding it difficult to put this one down -- it is delightful reading so far!  I will do my best to catch up to everyone tomorrow. :reading2:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
I started a topic for the actual book discussion so please post your thoughts about the book there. Thanks. :)