News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What scents did you wear as a teenager?  (Read 8774 times)

Faire

• Silver Member
  • True beauty resides in the heart
What scents did you wear as a teenager?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
When I was growing-up, my father was the manager of a Thrifty drug store. Every day he would come home with something that the various salesmen had given him... Barbie dolls (don't I wish I still had those originals?)... Beatles albums, (don't I wish I still had those too? sheesh!).  :frustrated:

However, for my mother, he brought home every fragrance, (and makeup, skincare, shampoo, and conditioner), known to man that was selling in the store. So, I grew-up with, was exposed to, and used, (in no particular order):

Interlude, My Sin, Jungle Gardenia, Chantilly, Ciara (my favourite from 16-on), Tabu, Yardley English Lavender, Jontue, Wind Song, Arpege, Ambush (my favourite from 14-16), Evening in Paris, Jean Nate... and a whole host of other scents whose names I can't, for the life of me, remember.

My mother's favourite perfume was Shalimar tho, and considered all these others as 'lesser beings',  :lol:, so I inherited them to play with by default. I gave most of them away to my friends.
  • Complexion: Fair, clear, and on the dry side
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Very long, wavy, and graying
Bless'd Be

sashamy

Re: What scents did you wear as a teenager?
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
Mine was Love's Fresh Lemon. And today I love anything that smells lemony.

JennyDriscoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
I wanted to wear Love's Baby Soft but being a teen whose parents didn't believe in "allowance" I had no money of my own to purchase it.  For Christmas one year I wanted a very very very grown up fragrance so I asked for Tatiana.  I don't recall how much it cost but my folks acted as if I had asked for a Lamborghini though they did buy it for me.  Turned out I was pretty allergic to it because I sneezed and sneezed and sneezed whenever I wore it.  Even as an adult I've been unable to wear it.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »
I remember all of those from my teen years. Lucky you! I remember Thrifty Drug and a place called Grants-see Wiki- a half block away (At the time I bought my first 45 records there) till it went out of business. I only remember Thrifty for their ice cream (fond childhood memory) In certain supermarkets and drugstores I still see the Yardley English Lavender soap.

There were a lot of small dept discounts stores by my house and some kind of pharmacy business in a strip mall  at the time and that was my first introduction to make up. Max Factor blush and eyeshadows.

When I was growing-up, my father was the manager of a Thrifty drug store. Every day he would come home with something that the various salesmen had given him... Barbie dolls (don't I wish I still had those originals?)... Beatles albums, (don't I wish I still had those too? sheesh!).  :frustrated:

However, for my mother, he brought home every fragrance, (and makeup, skincare, shampoo, and conditioner), known to man that was selling in the store. So, I grew-up with, was exposed to, and used, (in no particular order):

Interlude, My Sin, Jungle Gardenia, Chantilly, Ciara (my favourite from 16-on), Tabu, Yardley English Lavender, Jontue, Wind Song, Arpege, Ambush (my favourite from 14-16), Evening in Paris, Jean Nate... and a whole host of other scents whose names I can't, for the life of me, remember.

My mother's favourite perfume was Shalimar tho, and considered all these others as 'lesser beings',  :lol:, so I inherited them to play with by default. I gave most of them away to my friends.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:36:38 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

saragozausedto

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
Hi everybody! Hello! :D

Im new around here!

My favourite perfume when i was a teenager was Acqua di Gio! The sweet smell of jazmin...the tangerine!!!

I can´t find it in my town now, its a reaaaaly small town!

Can anybody recommend me a good online store? I never buy anything online, could you give me a hand?

Thanks!!!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »
Hello, and welcome!  I know several online sources for Acqua di Gio.  Do you need international shipping? 

Try http://www.fragrancenet.com/, http://www.sephora.com/, http://www.beautyencounter.com/, or http://www.fragrancex.com/ for starters.  Armani does not ship worldwide, nor does Ulta.  I have seen scents on Amazon, but you have to check out the seller -- some are legitimate but some are not.

Hope this helps a bit!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

saragozausedto

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »
Thank you so much! I'll check those sites now!!!
I'm from spain so i don't know if they will deliver to my country, i suppose i got to try!!
Thanks again!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
 :welcomepicture: Saragozausedto to TTB!  I hope you find your favorite perfume!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »
If you are looking for that particular scent I think the Walgreens site has it.

http://www.walgreens.com/q/acqua-di-gio

Macys as well.

Oh you are from Spain! :-[ Does Sephora ship there I think they have it as well.

Hi everybody! Hello! :D

Im new around here!

My favourite perfume when i was a teenager was Acqua di Gio! The sweet smell of jazmin...the tangerine!!!

I can´t find it in my town now, its a reaaaaly small town!

Can anybody recommend me a good online store? I never buy anything online, could you give me a hand?

Thanks!!!
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
Welcome to TTB.  I hope you can find your scent.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
For Christmas one year I wanted a very very very grown up fragrance so I asked for Tatiana.

I remember that fragrance!! I wore either Jovan Musk, Jovan White Musk, or Avon Vanilla Soft Musk which has been discontinued for over 20 years. I bought a whole bunch of bottles and still have one or two left in the basement. I recently wrote to Avon and they recommended using Odyssey since it was supposed to be in the same family. Boy were they WAY off the mark!! I returned it and tried Free O2 Toilette spray. I liked it so much that I bought a couple of bottles in case they discontinue it. I am going to try the Fiji Paradise spray, It smells like coconut. Perfect for summer!!
MJ :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »
I wore Giorgio.  Loved it.  Had the body lotion, too.  Gawd, that sounds so cheesy now.  But it made me feel very womanly at the time. 
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 09:02:28 AM »
But it made me feel very womanly at the time.

This comment brought up a follow-up question in my mind:  What was your motivation for wearing scents as a teenager?

For me, one of my favorites, Heaven Sent, simply smelled wonderful and clean to me. Another, Tigress, made me feel, as FooDog put it, womanly (such a good description!). L'Aire du Temps was "pretty" and I always strove to be pretty.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
"For Christmas one year I wanted a very very very grown up fragrance so I asked for Tatiana."

I had that perfume for while when I was in my late 20s, early 30s - I loved it!

As a teen I wore something with a lily of the valley fragrance. It might have even been called that.

Now, as I get older, I find I can't wear perfume save for special occasions, as I tend to like to go scent-free with all my products. A lot of perfumes now are far too strong and aggressive. Some are almost like bug spray LOL!

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 11:04:32 PM »
But it made me feel very womanly at the time.

This comment brought up a follow-up question in my mind:  What was your motivation for wearing scents as a teenager?

For me, one of my favorites, Heaven Sent, simply smelled wonderful and clean to me. Another, Tigress, made me feel, as FooDog put it, womanly (such a good description!). L'Aire du Temps was "pretty" and I always strove to be pretty.

Yes, feeling womanly was definitely a big factor for me.  Expression of budding sexuality and all that. 
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his