News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arnim  (Read 1028 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
"The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arnim
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:39 AM »
I read this book a few weeks ago, and thought "what a find! I can't believe I'd never read this before!".  Here I was thinking it was some little-read book.  So stupid of me.  In reality, I guess I probably just wan't ready for it before this!  I googled it and found that there was a film made from it.   Has anyone else read this?

One of my favorite quotes "It is true she liked him most when he wasn't there, but then she usually liked everybody most when they weren't there."  :D

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/enchanted-april-elizabeth-von-arnim/1100393590?ean=9781617206795
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Swest

• Platinum Member
Re: "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth von Arnim
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
 Have you ever seen the movie? Polly Walker Miranda Richardson....lots of well known British actors. Its one of my favorites. I need to put this on my to read list.
I guess I knew there was a book but never checked it out.

I read this book a few weeks ago, and thought "what a find! I can't believe I'd never read this before!".  Here I was thinking it was some little-read book.  So stupid of me.  In reality, I guess I probably just wan't ready for it before this!  I googled it and found that there was a film made from it.   Has anyone else read this?

One of my favorite quotes "It is true she liked him most when he wasn't there, but then she usually liked everybody most when they weren't there."  :D

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/enchanted-april-elizabeth-von-arnim/1100393590?ean=9781617206795
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:27:16 PM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
 :woohoo: I found this for free for my Kindle and just downloaded it. No idea when I'll have time to read it but it's there waiting for me. Sounds very interesting and I'll look for the movie after I've read it. Thanks, Lucy and Swest, for bringing this one to my attention. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
And I'll have to look for the movie!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »
Well, I am not familiar with the book or the movie either one!  Now I feel woefully behind. :(
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce