News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DIY Skincare – my journey  (Read 5056 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
DIY Skincare – my journey
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
This could be long – my apologies.

My interested started over three months but I really didn’t start testing things until the last week of October.  It’s early, I agree but if your interest is pique, I think it’s better to give you information that I have now rather than two months down the line. I hope to you give you some food for thoughts – that’s all.

To start with I have combination skin and my Tzone is my worse problem...oil, oil and more oil.  I‘ve read that normal, combo, dry and aging skin will benefit from using essential oils. Two sites that I find myself going back again and again (still do):

http://www.crunchybetty.com/

http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/index.html

I’ve learned so much and still learning.  I’ve customized the products to meet my needs. The initial cost is expensive because you have to buy the oils. I don’t have stores near me where I can just waltz in and purchase the oils. You have to pay for tax and shipping costs and that can add to the already expensive oils. But, and here’s a big BUT, once you have the oils, you can make loads of stuff that you can share with family and friends.  I already have standing orders for shampoo, conditioner, hair serum, body lotions, body spray, thinning hair issue…oh, the list goes on.  I’m testing stuff right now and asking people whether they like woodsy, floral, citrus, earthy, etc., scent. I am trying to customize each product to fit the receiver.  This is me being all chemist and all: I will consult with each client to insure that he/she is not allergic to the ingredients that will be included in his/her customized product.

I told you it would be long. I bet your wondering what about my results so far.  Many of you know that my journey to finding natural skincare products began in late August but it actually began later than that. I’ve been so disappointed with the expensive skincare.   They work for a while and then stop working and I was really tired and a little bit guilty, of spending $$$ on one product alone.  It started with Rosehip oil on October 11 and about two weeks ago, I started to use my diy cleansing oil and facial moisturizing oil. To date, I’ve also incorporated, oil serum, sun/age spot treatment (my mom got a batch of the age spot) and the latest, shampoo – I used it first time last night. All include essential oils to target specific issues.  Also, this where you can see some savings already:  I only use the cleansing oil I at night to clean away the makeup and in the morning, I was my face with plain cool water from the tap.

So far, my pores are clean. Each night, I see them surfacing when I use the cleaning oil and last night; I didn’t see any in my 10X with light mirror. This morning, when I woke up, my Tzone was nice and smooth. No oil, no tightness.  Some fine lines under my eyes are less visible.  I had small bumps under my chin – I hated these. Two weeks ago, they were countless. Today, I have four left but they are the big ones but they are smaller today.  It’s still early but at least, I know what ingredients I’ve put on my face.

More food for thoughts, I had purchased Lancome Genefique for $100+ tax and I’ve still have a little left. That $100 would have purchased 8-9 essential oils that would make plenty of different kinds of serum, shampoo, conditioner, toner(made this last night. I have to wait 24 hrs to cure the mixture), lotions, etc. I have more on my list to make: masks, deodorants, for the home, etc.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: DIY Skincare – my journey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I am amazed at how much you are doing with this project!  I know you work long hours and have a young son, so how on earth do you find the time?  No matter - I can tell how therapeutic your oils project is, so I'm sure you just make the time you need for it.

I bookmarked both of your favorite sites so I can refer to them later.  I have been using some oils but not in a very scientific way.  It started with jojoba for me, then argan, rosehip seed, and avocado.  I want more, too!  They have been nice for moisturizing, especially in the dry winter season, and they really can be economical, as you say.

I hope you will continue to share your results with us, and tell us how your mom gets on with it also.  I am really interested in the sun/age spot treatment!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »
This sounds wonderful! Tell me, SusieQ - what is in your sun spot treatment? I'd love to know how to make something like this that actually works. I'm seriously considering getting rose hip oil as I've heard such good things about it for anti-wrinkle purposes(natural Vitamin A and C in it)and even for a bit of skin tone evening. Would just LOVE that!
As I've mentioned before on other threads, I do make my own shea butter-coconut oil cream that has a bit of vegetable glycerin and lavender essential oil in it.
Last but not least, what brands of oils have you been purchasing? There are a lot of adulterated products that are passing for essential oils when in fact they are merely perfumed oils meaning that they are a carrier oil that has had some essential oil added to it, just enough to make it smell nice. But real essential oils are a real treasure, and their use goes all the way back to ancient Egypt.
Athough I tended to stay away from fancy expensive skin care products at department stores and the like, like you, I'm sick of even looking at ads for expensive skin care, especially when I know that it really doesn't do all that much given the money one is paying. I mean, for one of these uber-expensive creams, one could actually get the Rx from the dermatologist, or go for a nice collection of the oils like you say.
Looking forward to hearing lots more here on the DIY essential oil project!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
Hi Ladies,
I usually find time between chores.  :lol: I have notebook and I write everything I want to try and what I need. At lunch at work, I would do more research and usuallly put something in the Amazon cart and do more research before I pull the trigger. 

I've ony been using the age/sun spot remover less than a week so I don't know whethre it works or not but the mixture is uber easy.  :lol:

1 Tablespoon of castor oil
10 drops of frankincense essential oil

I put mine in a 1oz amber glass bottle with a dropper. I made enough to fill two of these and one went to my mom and the other one I am using.  If you don't want to spend the money on Frankincense essential oil, I heard that castor oil works fine, too. But, I did notice that one particular age spot that was reallly hard had soften a bit.  It could be from the serum or moisturizer oils that I put on each night.  I'm trying to do more research on that particular spot.  :grin:

I am loving the shampoo, it reminds of Burt's Bees' shampoo. It gives your hair that squeeky clean feeling. So, if you don't like that feeling, you may not like this shampoo. I love it since I know what's in it.  I'm in search of a nice conditioner right now.  :wink:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
That looks easy enough!  Be sure and let us know how your mom likes it, too!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
@SusieQ That recipe sure sounds easy enough! When you say that your one sun spot was "hard" I didn't realize they could be. For me, it's just sun spots that are scattered over face, with their texture being no different from the rest of my skin. Can you apply this mix all over face? Reason I ask is because my spots are scattered in general and would be too time-consuming to apply to One.Spot.At.A.Time LOL! Personally I hate the term "age spots" because it conjures up old fuddy-duddies who never cared about taking care of their skin and all. Although such spots often develop as one gets older, they can come on when younger, simply from too much sun exposure, especially if one has the skin type that is prone to them. If I'd known what I do now, I never would have deliberately tanned when younger, even though my skin tans at the drop of a hat anyway.
But back to the sun spot mixture, usually for sun spot treatments, even Rx ones, they say at bare minimum at least a month or 6 weeks before one notices a single thing, and often much, much longer, like up to a year with milder stuff. Please keep us posted as to how well this mixture is working for you over the coming weeks and months.
I do know that castor oil is often used in conjunction with olive oil for what's known as the "oil-cleansing method" that a lot of people, especially more oily skin types swear by. I've never tried it myself though. Some people say that castor oil applied to lashes at night improves them considerably. If that's the case, a whole lot better than some expensive Rx Latisse which I'm sure comes with its own risks!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
SusieQ, I am worried to hear you say your age spots are hard - are you sure you are not talking about pre-cancerous patches, or solar keratosis?

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/actinic-keratosis/what-is-actinic-keratosis (I hope adding a link here is allowed!)

Surely sun or age spots (hate the word age spots, too, like Cara!) also called liver spots or solar lentigines are just darker spots of skin that feel exactly the same as the surrounding skin, as they are just pigment.

You got me worried there, SusieQ!

Happily, I hear pre-cancerous patches can be treated with a topical cream or freezing them (cryosurgery).
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
SusieQ, I am worried to hear you say your age spots are hard - are you sure you are not talking about pre-cancerous patches, or solar keratosis?

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/actinic-keratosis/what-is-actinic-keratosis (I hope adding a link here is allowed!)

Surely sun or age spots (hate the word age spots, too, like Cara!) also called liver spots or solar lentigines are just darker spots of skin that feel exactly the same as the surrounding skin, as they are just pigment.

You got me worried there, SusieQ!

Happily, I hear pre-cancerous patches can be treated with a topical cream or freezing them (cryosurgery).
Aww, thank you, Anne!  You're soo sweet. No worries, though. I saw my derm this year and she did some samples and did a really thorough check up. I'm good.  :) 

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
Last night, I made my first batch of body butter!  I love how it turned out. I've been anxious and finally put aside an hour to get down and dirty with it. It had it's moment but it turned out just fine.  I've put aside a couple of hours this weekend to make another batch with different oils, of course. My friends are in awe at the finished products but not as much as me. 

I know that Cara has been making her own body shea butter for quite sometime now. I can see how you can get hooked on it. I would like to try other ingredients and I hope to get a couple of different ones this weekends. I'll be making gift baskets this holiday that will be customized to each recipient. Nothing major, just body butter, lotion(maybe), essential blends for sleep, stress, etc., shampoo, hair serum and body spray. I really don't have much time do, I.  :sos:

I'm really having fun with it and have not had the urge to buy makeup. BUT, I am enjoying putting on makeup more than before because how my skin has been looking great lately.  :blink:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
It sounds fantastic.I once bought some lavender cream from a shop in Belgium (the owner makes the creams and lotions with plants from her garden) and it smelt heavenly. It was also very moisturising. I was under the impression that, to make creams and body butters you had to buy special equipment, like a special blender. Do you use one? I love the idea of using essential oils and I would love to give it a go. My favourite oil is rose; my skin really loves it. But it is also prohibitively expensive. Good luck with your project,Susie!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
I make my body butter in my food processor and it is SO easy to do. Since I'm not in real production(only sometimes whipping up a batch)I don't worry about the food processor and just give it a thorough washing afterward. Plus the processor aerates it, doubling it in volume and making it really creamy and easy to spread. It helps if all you materials are room temperature, so I get my unrefined shea butter out of the fridge ahead of time so it can soften up etc. Before I got my food processor 3 years ago, I was doing the thing with melting the stuff over low heat until combined, adding my lavender oils and vegetable glycerine, and going through cycles of putting the bowl of the mixture into the freezer for a couple of minutes, then whisking it with a hand whisk, repeating several cycles until the butter had chilled more and got to be a balm. But the food processor method is much better for me and makes a nicer, more whipped product, IMO. My body butter has helped my husband where no other lotion or cream did for his dry itchy skin, another friend got relief, and my dear friend in Florida uses this almost exclusively, as she has even more reactive dry skin than I do. I do use it on my body, or on face if not wearing makeup. It doesn't work that well daytimes with makeup, I've found, but it's a great night cream for me.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
My process is similar but I'm doing the melting of the two oils and letting them chill for about 30 minutes while I clean up the mess!  Then, I include another carrier oil and EOs and place the mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes. I have an old electric hand mixer and it does the job well, too. It takes a few minutes and mixture gets really fluffy and soft. Cara's been doing this for sometimes and have found short cuts with the same result so it really doesn't take much. The outcome is much better than store bought, imo.  Because the ingredients you add yourself. 

Milla, I think that if I had someone near me tha I can purchase homemade body butter, I would.  You're lucky!!  But, I am surrounded by malls and more malls.  Yes, Rose is so expensive. I almost fell off my chair when  I saw how much .5 oz cost but it's very potent so you probably don't need much for a 4-5 monsth supply.  If you go this direction, I think that you can't go wrong by ordering Rose because in the long run, you will save money and the cost of the Rose EO will more than pay for itself. 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
I have seen homemade creams and lotions on sale in market stalls in London, too. There is definitely a market for this because a lot more people want to use natural products. Can you tell me where I can find a simple recipe for a beauty product that I can make with some of my pupils? I have a small group who is interested in doing some fundraising for their 'leavers party' (it is a sort of prom). I have heard of 'aromatic vinegars', but I am not quite sure what they are used for or how they are made.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
What about some sort of bath salts?  They could decorate the jars and vary the mix of coloring and scent.  I think they are based on epsom salts and maybe sea salt.  You could do an unscented one for sensitive skin with dry milk powder in it.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Milla, try this website:

http://www.aromaweb.com/

or

http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/default.asp

Another site that I am loving!!  Good luck!!