News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DIY Skincare – my journey  (Read 5032 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: DIY Skincare – my journey
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »
Sounds like some great recipes at AromaWeb!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! they're great! now if i can just get hold of some nice glass jars :) ....

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
Sounds like some great recipes at AromaWeb!:)
I found them when I was looking for classes. I had no idea that these classes are so expensive!  But, I guess, I haven't taken a class in a while for anything so I didn't know they charge now. If they had one closer to home, I probably would.  :D
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! they're great! now if i can just get hold of some nice glass jars :) ....
I've purchased mine from Specialty Bottles but not sure if they deliver to your side of the pond.  Maybe you can ask the lady that make her own lotions. I think that if you explain the reason why you are making them, she can give you names of the suppliers she purchases her pretty containers from. Good luck!!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
"Thank you for the suggestions! they're great! now if i can just get hold of some nice glass jars :) ...."

just google "cosmetics jars" and you'll find suppliers where they have a whole range of packaging for people who make their own stuff. Specialty Bottle, and Sunburst Bottle are a couple of web stores. In fact, I need some jars myself for home use, as the couple of jars that I've been using for our shea butter cream are really old and cracked(I've had them for 12 years)so we're due for new ones. I'm looking at the 40oz. amber plastic ones with a ribbed black lid on Specialty Bottle - this gives a nice expensive apothecary look, which, if one were actually in production, one could add a beautifully-designed label. These web stores have both glass and plastic. I prefer the plastic myself for portability and weight, because I usually have one of these in my bag to go to the gym or to travel with.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »
Not sure if those are available here in the UK... I wash and keep all nice jam/ marmalade/mayo/coffee containers. My sister-in-law has a big garden and is always making jams and preserves, so I keep  them for her. Some of the recipes in AromaWeb look great for Christmas presents!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
@milla - those packaging sources I mentioned ARE on the web. See if they will ship to the UK. If they do, you're in business. But with a little looking around, you might find an online UK packaging supplier. Best of luck!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »
I am fascinated reading about all of your creations. I haven't had time to investigate it much yet but I'm bookmarking this thread because I want to revisit it when I have more time and money to spend!

As for containers, maybe check eBay - when I was looking for containers for sharing pigments I found all kinds of containers on eBay.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
 :hidesbehindsofa:
I've been lurking here.  So far I've purchased canola oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.  I'm waiting for an opportunity to try the hair conditioner you mentioned on another post.
I also have some vitamin E oil.  Is that good for anything?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
I have often used Vitamin E around my eyes, especially if they are super-dry and/or irritated.  The oil is so thick and rich that it stays put all night and the skin is much better the next morning.

People used to use it for healing surgical scars, but I don't know if it actually helped or not.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »
Is canola oil actually good for the skin? I've never heard of it in any recipes. But coconut oil, avocado, jojoba, extra-virgin olive, sweet almond oil, etc. are commonly-used moisturizing oils each with their own benefits.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
I would assume that any oil has some softening capabilities.  Maybe canola oil can be used as a base with smaller amounts of more expensive ingredients.  The Daily Glow has a recipe for a canola oil lotion and says that the oil not only is a wonderful moisturizer but also an emollient, meaning it locks in moisture as well. It also is rich in fatty acids and contains high levels of vitamin E, so it will protect your skin against the effects of free radicals.

http://www.dailyglow.com/quench-your-skins-thirst-the-natural-way-with-canola-oil-lotion.html

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
You can use caonola oil as a substitute for Olive oil. But, some people don't like the smell so they add essential oils.  VitE is great to add to your diy face serum or moisturizer. Not only because of its known benefits but also because it's considered a natural preservatives. It doesn't keep your products long like but it gives them a little more shelf life.

I'm actually "brewing" a lash serum.  I'll do a test run for a month and let you ladies know how it works.  It's another easy one but not sure whether it will work or not. I'm letting the mixture sit for 3-4 days.  I'll be able to try it tomorrow night.  :)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
Thanks, ladies.  Though I do have canola oil in my pantry, I think I meant to say that I have castor oil.  :rollseyes:
I also have almond oil. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:04 AM »
Ohh!  That sounds like something I would do!  No harm done - if I hadn't looked it up I wouldn't have known canola oil was good for the skin at all. 

Now castor oil I know is included in a lot of cleansing oil recipes.  Some people use it as a lash or brow treatment to condition and encourage growth.  I don't personally know if it works, but I have seen it recommended a lot.

Almond oil is lovely for moisturizing, anywhere you need it.  It's great as a cuticle treatment too.