News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DIY Skincare – my journey  (Read 5050 times)

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
Re: DIY Skincare – my journey
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
I am reading this with such interest.  Please keep us updated on your journey.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
Thanks, ladies.  Though I do have canola oil in my pantry, I think I meant to say that I have castor oil.  :rollseyes:
I also have almond oil.
:grin:  If nothing else, we all know that if in a pinch, we can use canola oil as a sub for Olive oil. You have some good carrier oils, Lucy. I think that you start with something small. A cleansing oil maybe or a serum. Read more and see where you what to go with your oils.   Once you find something you want to make and you are using carrier oil with essential oils, don't forget to read about the essentials oils you will be using on your recipe. Find out about the benefits and also the negative effects.  And, always follow the recipe. Do not deviate from it.  Adding another drop of essential oils on your recipe doesn't make it better, it may cause harm than good. And, it's ok to substitute oils as long as you don't add extras.  Good luck, lucy!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
I am reading this with such interest.  Please keep us updated on your journey.
Sue, I've been using just oils now for nearly three weeks and I just can't say enough on how happy I am about the results.  I wash my face once a day with the cleansing oil recipe. The process of using the cleansing oil is a bit long but it's only done once a day.  And, the results, imo, is far greater than the time I spent each night.

The more I read, the more I see that a lot of people are into making their own skincare recipes; which makes it easy for the rest of us because, they've done all the homework. Now, I just read and tailor the recipes to my own need or particular concern.  :blink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
@SusieQ - just as a reminder, I had asked you if your sunspot recipe had to be applied to spots only, or can one use it all over face? The latter would be a LOT easier for me as I have a bunch scattered on face and it would be too much trouble to laboriously "paint in" every.single.spot. This is why I wear foundation rather than concealer on spots BTW.
Also, personally I'd very be very leery of using canola oil on skin - I don't even use it in cooking as it's largely a GMO, pro-oxidant, engineered product. We've been told it's healthy but it's not really. Extra-virgin olive oil is far superior, along with coconut oil(even though that latter is saturated, it acts differently than other "saturated" fats). On the subject of edible oils, I've also studiously avoided junk like Wesson oils and those big bottles labeled "salad oil" that have NO flavor and no benefits whatsoever. It's worth spending more for quality oils, whether for eating, or for skin.
Also, have you switched ENTIRELY over to DIY skin care, or still include a store-bought product or two? Just curious!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
@SusieQ - just as a reminder, I had asked you if your sunspot recipe had to be applied to spots only, or can one use it all over face? The latter would be a LOT easier for me as I have a bunch scattered on face and it would be too much trouble to laboriously "paint in" every.single.spot. This is why I wear foundation rather than concealer on spots BTW.
Also, personally I'd very be very leery of using canola oil on skin - I don't even use it in cooking as it's largely a GMO, pro-oxidant, engineered product. We've been told it's healthy but it's not really. Extra-virgin olive oil is far superior, along with coconut oil(even though that latter is saturated, it acts differently than other "saturated" fats). On the subject of edible oils, I've also studiously avoided junk like Wesson oils and those big bottles labeled "salad oil" that have NO flavor and no benefits whatsoever. It's worth spending more for quality oils, whether for eating, or for skin.
Also, have you switched ENTIRELY over to DIY skin care, or still include a store-bought product or two? Just curious!:)
I'm sorry, Cara. I meant to answer that question but time ran away from me.  Just dab or rub on the spot and not all over the face.  And, yes, I have switched entirely over DIY skin care. My cleasing oil/cleanser, toner, age spot remover, anti aging serum and moisturing facial oil are all DYI and I use them every night.  In the morning, I jump into the shower to wake up an splash water on my face. Then, I put on the age spot remover, anti aging serum, moisturing facial oil and then makeup.  :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:02 PM »
@SusieQ - Thanks for getting back about the sun spot stuff. For me that might be a challenge to deal with just the spots with that oil. Do you have to be really precise about "painting" it on to each spot? I know even with OTC hydroquinone(which I've never used by the way)one has to be careful to only apply to spot, otherwise one will bleach the skin around the spot creating an unattractive white ring around the spot - ugh! What type of skin do you have? Is it very dry, very sensitive, very "mature, very sun-damaged, combo(normal to dry, or normal to oily), very wrinkled, acne-prone, etc.? Just curious. This is so amazing that you have switched over to all DIY! I've tried that in the past, with almost-good-but-not-great, to so-so results. But if I knew what to do for all my products for my type of skin - reactive, sun spots, uneven skin tone, normal to very slightly oily and not too wrinkled(yet anyway at 65) but getting somewhat drier, I'd be willing to give it a go. I do like my shea butter cream though and rotate that in sometimes with other products(very plain, non-active drugstore at this point).
What kind of improvements have you noticed since you went all DIY, and exactly how long have you been all DIY? Do you think that you will never go back to commercial products? With that thought, then one knows one's new DIY routine must be THAT good. I know, a LOT of questions!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
@cara – You’re welcome! No worries about the questions. I hope to answer them based on what is going on with me right now. I’ve been on the completed DIY skin care for three weeks now. Every commercial cleansers, toner, serums and moisturizers have departed my bathroom and I mean everything skin care that I purchased in the stores or online. I haven’t thrown them away since it’s still early and I’ve paid a nice chuck of $$$ so I want to keep them around for another month or two.

I was combo but I can actually say now that I am leaning towards more normal.  I usually wake up with my Tzone really oily and by midday, my Tzone needs some help. The last few days, I’ve had no issues in the morning or during the day. In regards to the spot treatment, I haven’t been precise and I haven’t seen any changes on the spot, yet, nor around in regards to bleaching. I remember that the article did say that if you have one or two, you can use Qtip to apply the product and if you have a cluster to rub the product all over that section.

I’ve had acne in my teens so I have acne scars. In my 30s, I found ProActive and that worked miracles on my skin. I haven’t used proactive for over a month. I was using up my last batch of order. I’ve had my battles of one or two acnes here and there since. But, I can honestly say that the last acne – tiny one- was over a week ago. It’s early days, yet.  I have my mom’s genes. She is in her early 70s and no wrinkles – just fine lines. So, I’m in my early 50s and the only telltale sign is the “1” between my brows.  I don’t have any crow’s feet. I have some fine lines underneath my eyes but you have to get mighty close to my face to see them. The 10x mirror allows me viewing pleasure of these lines. But, I can see some changes there, too. I used to be a sun worshipper until my mid-30s. My skin pretty much decided no sun. I was getting hives when I was in the sun too long. Let me put it this way, my DH is Caucasian and I am the lightest in the entire family.

As for success on my newly found skincare, it’s still early but my pores are much, much clearer. No clogs!  The pores on my nose, very small!! Thank you!!  I have a much even skin tone. I haven’t used a primer since and my makeup stays on all day. After cleansing my face, I don’t feel any tightness.  And, when I put on my DIY face products, I can feel my face breath and it feels like a cool soft breeze is fanning it. I can go out without any makeup on and I have on weekends since. Let me give you an example of what I mean.  After work, I have an hour ride and a couple of blocks to get to my car. By the time I get to my car, I usually flip the mirror on the visor just to see if my eye makeup is ok. Usually, I would not dare look at my skin because it would look all blotchy and oily here and dry there. But, now, I look because I can’t believe what I see. No dryness, no oil slick and noooo blotches! I am still at the testing stage and won’t come to any conclusion on which products I would like to continue to make and use until I’ve gone thru a full two months on the product– I just want to be sure.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
I also wanted to add that I've been using DIY shampoo and my recipe is for thinning hair. I don't if it's working or not but my hair not only feels soft but I feels like I have more.  :) I'm making a few for family and not waiting for Christmas to hand them out.  I also tried the eye lash serum last night. I'll you all posted once I see any difference.

It's so funny becauase I was watching one of my youtubers last night and she is testing an eye lash serum, which cost $24 online and it did not include tax and shipping.  Anyway, she mentioned that the one of the main ingredients is castor oil.  :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
Wow SusieQ! Thanks for the detailed reply - that sounds like great results so far! I do know that with any kind of fading product, it can take a LONG time. Even Retin-A and hydroquinone can take months to noticeably fade sun damage and spots, so it's not surprising that you haven't noticed a difference yet on the spots end yet. But hopefully it will work for you.
What you don't mention in your collection is a way to exfoliate, which is really important to me as I have the kind of faical skin that does not exfoliate that well on its own(it's always been this way), with the slight little bit of oil that's left in it, although I would say at this late age I'm mostly normal. Still, if I don't exfoliate with something acidic(scubs do nothing for me)my skin just looks dehydrated and dull, since the dead skin cells prevent anything from working. But with an exfoliating cleanser(since I can't use leave-on AHAs on face - too reactive)it's like magic, seriously. Over the years, from time to time I would look for something natural that would do this, but no luck. Either it would be too harsh, or simply not work. What are you doing about sunblock? That's a tricky one too.
On my own end skin-wise, one could call it reactive, sun-damaged(mostly in the form of some sun spots), normal-to-very-slightly oily, mostly fine lines and only a few wrinkles, not acne-prone in the least. Like you, I also have NO crows-feet, which amazes people when I tell them how old I am. Then they ask if I've had work done LOL! If they only knew - I've never even been to a dermatologist and have only had a very few facials in my whole life. But my mother had good skin - no wrinkles whatsoever, but she died relatively young too at age 58. Both my parents looked young for their ages, despite sun exposure(both tanned extremely well)although my dad started to get some sun spots as he got older so I got that tendency, while my mother had none on her half-Sicilian skin. Like them I tan at the drop of a hat, even though I'm naturally light-medium. I don't push my luck at all though and haven't deliberately tanned in a number of years anyway.
On the subject of makeup, I would love to wear my shea butter cream day times too, but cannot, because makeup looks truly awful on top of it and my sunblock. It will look good at first, but then oxidizes and gets weird, so I had to resort to using Cetaphil Cream and my sunblock underneath makeup and that looks better. And I CAN'T go out without at least a little bit of foundation on due to unevenness of skin tone due to spots.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
Yes, I still have things on the list that will need replacement.  But, in regards to exfoliation, the cleasing oil is doing a mild exfoliation but I am looking at others.  I also plan to steam my face once a week with lavender flowers and a couple of oils to open up my pores and that's when I will exfoliate.  I haven't found one that I like.  The sunblock is probably one that I may not make but there are some essential oils that will provide sunblock.  But, with my BB/Cc cream, I at least have some there. 

The current one on the list is exfoliation and hair conditioner.  :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
Back in the day, I was a regular steamer, in that I did the head over a pot of boiling water that had SwissKriss herbs added to it. It felt nice and all, but I wasn't sure what it was actually doing for my skin. Then in years later, I read that steaming the face is actually bad in that one can get broken capillaries, and increase the size of pores or something. There's always two sides to any story or remedy in that one will say something is beneficial while someone else will say the very same thing is bad. Big battle now is between natural formulators and scientific ones. The natural formulators who totally believe in organizations like the Environmental Working Group will say that anything other than simple natural will either give one cancer or make one look 20 years older, while more scientific formulators will say there's little harm in modern day cosmetics. The truth may lay somewhere in the middle - time will tell. What it seems to boil down to in real life is what works on one's skin and personal preference. I still like the idea of DIY for at least part of what I have, and pick up the slack with simple drugstore/natural foods store store-bought. For the record, I NEVER buy department store skin care, or any skin care from Sephora for that matter. Who actually buys this stuff? Nobody I know.
But back to DIY - how can OIL exfoliate? I've never found that to be the case myself. I do use coconut oil to remove makeup though, as a pre-cleanse.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
I think if you steamed your face too much that could probably happen and it the steam was too hot for the face.  But, if you gently steam your face and do it once a week, I think it's safe enough.  The cleansing oil itself won't exfoliate your face. Its what you do with it on your face. I rub the oil on my face for about 2-3 minutes and then let it sit for another 2-3 minutes. Then, I wet a washcloth in hot tap water, wring it out and place on my place until the towel cools. I do this two mor times and on the four, I keep it on just before it cools and I gently exfoliate using the washcloth.  My face feels smooth and no longer feel any dryness of tightness that I usually feel after washing my face.

I think that if diy and d/s skin care works for you that's great.  What I'm doing is working for me and I love the results. So, it's pretty hard for me to go back bought store skincare right now.  My work day is almost over and I don't have any oil on my T-zone but it's not dry either. 

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
Yes, I've read about the oil-cleansing method. It sounds great, but too time-consuming for me personally, to do on a daily basis. Maybe once in awhile as a simple facial through:) My way of exfoliating is really quick - apply an AHA cleanser to dry face in the morning, leave it on for a few minutes while I go do something else, and then rinse off. It really made a difference for me, in that I could get in an active without trashing my reactive skin. If I do this at night, then I'll apply my shea butter stuff afterward to complete. But it sounds like what you're doing is totally working for you.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
For me, the evening works better.  Since I am up early and usually don't get to really sit down until 8-9pm M-F, the time I spent doing this is rather therapeutic . It allows me to relax and let go of the day's negative input.  It's like a 10-minute spa.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
I've started incorporating diy Vit C in my skincare regiment.  I made it last night.  Anyone else uses diy Vit C?

I am sitll loving my DIY Skincare with my essential oils.