News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Turkey tips please....  (Read 1270 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Turkey tips please....
« on: November 18, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
I've hosted Thanksgiving at my house every year since I got married - this will be #27.  This year I'm going to be using the frozen free turkey I got from my grocery store using store points.  Last year I also used the free turkey.  I'm no stranger to roasting turkey, but last year it came out too dry. :(
I always use a large roasing pan with lid, then remove the lid towards the end of cooking to brown/crisp the skin.  This year's bird is about 21 lbs.
Any tips for a moister turkey this year?
Thanks.  :knife & fork:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
Re: Turkey tips please....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
Last year my boyfriend flattened the turkey [the "butcher" split it and took out the backbone] and cooked it like that.  Best turkey we've ever had and it cooked quickly.  Lots of recipes for this.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »
The butterfly turkey!  I have seen chickens done this way on the grill, so I can easily imagine that turkey would be just as lovely.

Maybe last year's bird was a bit of an old turkey?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
A 21lbs turkey is huge. I don't think I have ever cooked such a large bird, our christmas turkey is always about 16 lbs; I always roast it breast side down first and turn it in the last 1/2 hour of cooking, but I don't know how you would turn such a big turkey, I certainly would be very scared of dropping everything on the floor. My tips are just make sure it is not just completely defrosted but not too cold when you put it in the oven because it toughens the meat and allow for a good 45m resting time before serving.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:50:44 PM by milla »

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
Make sure you have plenty of veggies inside and wrap it in bacon.  :) Take the bacon off when you are ready to brown it and make sure that you use butter/oil to baise the top if you want to quickly brown the turkey.  Good luck! Also, Listy may be right that you got an old turkey.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone - how was the turkey? :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone - how was the turkey? :)
It was good. I had the opportunity to poll about 7 women on Monday morning as we were doing food pantry duties at the church.  One of them said to just use the advice on Butterball.com, so I did that.  I entered in the weight and it said how long to cook and how.  I've always covered the turkey, and then removed the cover at the end to brown.  This year I did the opposite, and I think that helped a lot. 
Also, at the end of the roasting, my mom and sister both inspected it and decided it was done!
Everyone said it was perfect.
Thanks for asking.  :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
:woohoo:

Great news - doesn't it feel good to serve such a magnificent dish when it's cooked to perfection?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
I'm really glad that alll went well, Lucy!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
I'm glad your turkey turned out well, because there is nothing worse than dry turkey!  Funny thing -- I have always heard the same thing with the foil, so I'll have to try the other way next time.  (I did ham this year. :))
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce