News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hmmm. I love a man's cologne...  (Read 4190 times)

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
Hmmm. I love a man's cologne...
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »
on me. 

I am really selective about fragrances.  They can't be "Look at me!"  They can't smell artificial or like candy or too too or...

And scents that smell amazing on others, smell like cat piss [sorry, cat lovers, I'm sure YOUR cat's piss smells great] on me.

I had gotten a sample of Hermes Terre d'Homme with my billionth Sephora order and thought it was perfume, so I tried it and thought nothing of it.  Then, when I was working out with my trainer, he says, "You smell great! What are you wearing?  I want to buy some for my girlfriend." And my boyfriend says, "You do smell good."

It turns out it's a man's fragrance, but I'm really really really digging it.  A lot of women seem to like it on them as well.   

I ordered me a bottle.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Hmmm. I love a man's cologne...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »
Hey, if it smells that great on you, who cares if it started out as a man's scent?  This is a brilliant solution for those of us who don't enjoy candy-sweet, fruity, or big floral fragrances.  I could even see a couple sharing something like this.

Recently I have seen several reviews by women who love Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb for themselves.  Once you put it on, it becomes your own anyway.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
I also received a sample of the Hermes scent and Spicebomb in my recent Sephora orders. I read the reviews regarding Spicebomb being liked by women for themselves. I thought that one sample would be for DH to try and one would be for me. Now I think they will both be mine. All mine. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:58:09 PM by marci65 »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
 :giggle:

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. I go for either clean uni sex fragrances or more woodsy stuff. I can do florals but it has to be light. I HATE super sweet perfume or cologne.  I am the same way with soap I use in the shower.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
i wear a few scents marketed to men - Gucci Pour Homme, Cartier Declaration, Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur just to name a few.  if you like it and it smells good on you then go for it.  men's vs women's is just a marketing tool anyway.

now i'm gonna go spritz myself with my Spicebomb sample!
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
I hear you, Thanna!  I remember sporting a man's cologne in my late teens/early 20s. I had a big crush on this guy and he smelled so good. So, I was at Macy's, I think, and someone had just sprayed it. I followed it and purchased a small bottle. I tried it on and by gollly, I had more compliments when I wore that...I just can't remember what it was to save my life.  I guess, I could try to remember but probably won't.  :lol:

After all, it's all about chemistry.  :cackle:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
I received a sample of a men's cologne that is vanilla and tobacco and I love it. But, and it's a big but, the scent is so powerful that I have to keep the little vial in a bubble-wrap baggie that's taped shut. I can't remember ever being so overwhelmed by one scent, not even in an elevator with someone drenched in their fragrance of choice.

I like the brands that are coming out with unisex fragrances. Thanna, I never thought about the idea that's it's all marketing but you're absolutely right. If I recall correctly, a long time ago didn't men use rosewater? Never having smelled it I don't know if it's scented like roses but the name implies it.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
Men's fragrances are often the best choice for anyone who does not care for super-sweet scents.  These days, so many of the new ones are all fruity, flowery, cotton candy messes.  Well, to me anyway. :rollseyes:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
These days, so many of the new ones are all fruity, flowery, cotton candy messes.  Well, to me anyway. :rollseyes:
I do love the flowery ones but I know what you mean, Listy.  They all smell the same. I was at Ulta and they re did the store so they had a round design for the perfumes and cologne.  I spritz here, there and there and after a while, they all sees to smell the same. I wanted to buy some smell good water but it got too much after a while. I let without buying any perfurme.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »
You might have had scent-sory overload, SusieQ. I know that I can only test one or, at most, two scents before they all start to blend together and I can't tell one from another. That's a serious drawback to living so far from shopping.

Over the past couple of years I have spent enough to buy a very expensive bottle of perfume on samples and have yet to find "the one." If I were near a shop with a good selection of fragrances I could stop in now and again to test just one at a time and better be able to determine what I like. At this point I can't even narrow it down to fruity/flowery as opposed to more typically masculine fragrances or anything in between. Add in my body chemistry and even my favorites from years gone by are no longer appealing to me. So far I think this has been the worst part about getting older because I've always loved perfume and EDP. /rant over (sorry)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
I think you're right, Styyna. I think it was overload. And, I also agree that maybe you're right about getting older and the scents that I used to love are no longer appealing because of the marching of time.  I think I just need to a bit of research and see where it takes me.  I mean I can start with one scent find out the notes and find out why I like or don't like it. 

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Okay, you two...I love a challenge!  If you will describe your ideal scent as to notes, strength, format, etc., I will attempt to find it!

As for the change in our familiar scents, I think there are two reasons for this: Hormonal changes and the reformulation of older fragrances.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »
Okay, you two...I love a challenge!  If you will describe your ideal scent as to notes, strength, format, etc., I will attempt to find it!

As for the change in our familiar scents, I think there are two reasons for this: Hormonal changes and the reformulation of older fragrances.
:eek: Oh...well...that's going to take some time to think about but I may take you up on that, Listy. But, you know that if start taking Tarte Cherry, you may be sleeping more and not have time.  :grin:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Just let me know when you're ready...I can always dream about perfume!