News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hmmm. I love a man's cologne...  (Read 4397 times)

FooDog

• Silver Member
Re: Hmmm. I love a man's cologne...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 09:25:32 PM »
Hi, all!  I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but this is my first post.  :)

I've been actively (read: obsessively) exploring my love of scents recently, trying to expand my olfactory horizons.  The other forum I frequent is Basenotes.net, which is a wonderful place for developing one's sensibilities in this area.  Many of the aficionados there feel that masculine/feminine in fragrance is mostly a matter of marketing, and that everyone should wear what is appealing to them, regardless of gender.  And I find I quite agree.

I've never been into super sweet nor heavily floral fragrances, so always tended more toward "unisex" in my choices, but had not until recently tried a men's cologne.  Out of curiosity I sprayed on some of the Creed Aventus that my husband has been wearing lately and....WOW.  I loooooooove it!!  I've been wearing it everyday for the last couple of weeks.  And I get tons of compliments on it, too, which must mean I'm not entirely off my rocker.  ;)
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »
Hello, FooDog, and welcome to TTB!  :welcome: 

I have to admit that I have never tried a man's scent to see if I would like it - there are so many scents I still want to try as it is - but I certainly would not have a problem with it.  There is one spicy note or notes that I associate with aftershave, though - wonder what that is?  Whatever is in Old Spice, I guess.  Better look that up so I don't smell like my grandpa.  (Don't worry - I'm relatively sure he didn't own anything by Creed. :))
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
Hi and welcome FooDog! I am not over-enamoured of florals, and I do like men's scents... but mainly on men! I have never tried one that I would like to hear. having said that, I will try some. I've got the feeling that I might be able to wear something by  Dior (from the reviews that I have read). I occasionally read Basenotes, but my favourite fragrance site is Bois de Jasmin. She ( I think her name is Victoria) writes beautifully about fragrance and she is so knowledgeable, I am in awe of her reviews!

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
Thank you both for the welcome!!

Bois de Jasmin rings a bell....I think her site has come up in Google searches when I was looking for fragrance reviews.  I will definitely look her up again.  Great reminder - thanks!

Hmmm...it's been a long time since I smelled Old Spice, so I'm not sure what that note would be.  Would be easy enough to find out and then avoid, I guess.    :wink:   As much as we love our grandpas, probably don't want to smell like them. 

I was just sniffing in Sephora and thinking that YSL L'Homme seemed pretty me-friendly.  Didn't try it on my skin, but got a sample to take home and try.

Another favorite of mine this past year has been Chanel Sycomore.  It's kind of become my signature.  I'm on my second bottle, which is saying a lot for me.  Definitely not classically "feminine".  Very fresh, but with some depth.  Vetiver and woods.  Also a big compliment getter. 

I'm loving having this vast new empire of mens colognes to explore, although it does make an already ridiculously wide playing field even wider. 
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
I have one I want to try -- Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male.  I have read that it closely resembles the scent of MoroccanOil hair products.  Of course, the original MoroccanOil brand now has a dry body oil with the fragrance, but I  would still prefer a cologne. 

The notes are warm fresh mint, lavender, orange blossom and woods.  I do love woods in a scent!

Meanwhile, Old Spice has a lot of notes to pick from - wonder what the spices are:

Top Notes
    Orange, Lemon, Spices, Clary Sage, Aldehydes

Middle Notes
    Cinnamon, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Pimento Berry

Base Notes
    Vanilla, Musk, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Benzoin, Tonka, Ambergris.

• Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
FooDog (love it) Welcome!! :flowers2:

I remember wearing a man's cologne for about a year- maybe- in my twenties and I had loads of compliments.  FD, do you get compliments more from males than females when you wear the this cologne?  I haven't tried wearing men's scent in a long time or even thought about it but why not?  It's all chemistry.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
Makinalist -- Le Male sounds great!!!  I got a sample for my husband a while back, but neither of us have tested it yet.  I may need to pull it out of the pile today and check it out...

SusieQ -- Thank you!  I get compliments from both men and women, but I guess mostly from men.  What about you?  It's an interesting question, which I hadn't really thought about.

- Stacey

emelle

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
Luna Rossa by Prada is absolutely wonderful! Everytime I go into a certain store, I spritz myself with it, under the guise that I want my husband to smell it.
  • Complexion: pale
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: thinning brown with grey

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
Luna Rossa by Prada is absolutely wonderful! Everytime I go into a certain store, I spritz myself with it, under the guise that I want my husband to smell it.
:welcomepicture: emelle! 

I'll have to check that out the next time that I am out and about.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

JillianOwens

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
on me. 

I am really selective about fragrances.  They can't be "Look at me!"  They can't smell artificial or like candy or too too or...

And scents that smell amazing on others, smell like cat piss [sorry, cat lovers, I'm sure YOUR cat's piss smells great] on me.

I had gotten a sample of Hermes Terre d'Homme with my billionth Sephora order and thought it was perfume, so I tried it and thought nothing of it.  Then, when I was working out with my trainer, he says, "You smell great! What are you wearing?  I want to buy some for my girlfriend." And my boyfriend says, "You do smell good."

It turns out it's a man's fragrance, but I'm really really really digging it.  A lot of women seem to like it on them as well.   

I ordered me a bottle.

HAHA - at least your smell is current and Hermes :) I have been oddly drawn to (and on me too) to Acqua di Gio from Armani.  It's a cologne that was REALLY popular in the early 2000's or so and I haven't been able to shake it.  Works for me though, because I can always get it cheap at the holiday at Dillards or similar.  What's nice is it is somewhat citrusy and sweet, so it's not a man's smell, just nice.

-JO