News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: 2013 Resolution, anyone?  (Read 3171 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
2013 Resolution, anyone?
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
I know I am guilty of making a New Year's Resolution and finding that not even mid year, I've abandoned the whole darn thing. So, I haven't made any for what seems to be forever.  But, I thought I give it another crack in 2013.

1. More DIY
2. Eat Better
3. Yes, the dreaded one - lose a few pounds - ... :eek: I could use to lose more than a few pounds but baby steps... :D
4. This is part of #3 Work out more
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: 2013 Resolution, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »
Wishing you the best of luck and lots of persistence, SusieQ! You can do it!

You're already well on your way with your DIY products. I find that fascinating and enjoy reading about your experiences.

If you begin to eat better then losing some weight can happen. Just cutting back on carbs and eating smaller portions made it possible for me to lose 25 lbs. last year and I'm still working on it.

The last one, working out more, is the bane of my life but starting next Monday I'm going to begin using my treadmill regularly. My DH, bless his heart, gave me the whole set of NCIS seasons 1 through 9 so I'm going to pop a DVD in, climb on that machine, and watch one of my favorite shows while I get my treadmill workout. Hopefully after some time I will be inclined to add other forms of exercise but, like you said, baby steps. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
Our resolutions are very similar, Susie.  Mine are:

1.  Work out more regularly
2.  Try a new recipe at least once a month (we're in a bit of a rut)
3.  As part of #2 - eat healthier
4.  Finally get Bob trained to walk quietly on a leash in public - not just around the neighborhood!
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Thank you, Styyna!  I love NCIS and I do think that time goes quickly when you are watching something you really like. 

Thanna, I'll be cheering for you! :cheer:  I like your idea of trying a new recipe at least once a month. Let us know what you try.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »
keeping up my yoga classes (missed a couple before Christmas)
keep work and life outside work  separated (very tough one)
use my new freedom pass (thank you Mr. Mayor) to discover 'new' London secrets
last but not least do a small act of kindness everyday (I feel that I have been the recipient of many acts of kindness lately and it's time I gave some back!)
if i have to pick just one:
Enjoy what I do and do what I enjoy!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
I am not quite sure if this is a resolution, but I´ll try and be good to myself. To take care of my health. Try and eat healthily. Try and find out what my body needs.

The year started well: I had my brows and lashes dyed this morning. Then, I made the x-ray appintment and kept it. In the afternoon, I had my teeth professionally cleaned, and made an appointment to the dentist´s for a check-up.

I really need to lose some weight, so I thought I´d try and listen to myself: what do I really need? Am I truly hungry? How much do I need to eat? This is the most difficult bit.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
I think your plans count as a sort of resolution, Anne. You're certainly off to a good start! Wow did you cover a lot of ground today.

I also think that you are smart to pay attention to what your body is telling you. If you start by cutting out some carbs and reducing your portions it's amazing what a difference that can make over time. Increasing the amount of body movement will also help.

I like the idea of baby steps at the beginning of trying to make lifestyle changes. Especially since they are better than doing nothing at all. You'll know when you're ready for bigger steps, too, if you listen to your body.

I applaud your progress and your resolve! :clap:
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Well done, Anne, sounds like you've started 2013 in a positive way, I am sure I should take a leaf out of your book, especially when it comes to looking after yourself.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
Yes, well done, Anne!! :cheer:

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
I don't make big resolutions, but I plan to continue using sunscreen daily...on my hands!  I have been protecting my face for several years now (wish I had started sooner, of course) and try not to miss a single day no matter the weather.  I wish I had done the same for my hands, though, so I am doing what I can for them now. 
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:15 AM »
1. Write down three positive things that have happened each day.
2. Make a Kiva loan once a month via www.kiva.org
3. Read more books and spend less time online.
4. Continue to build strength via my leg and arm weights routine.
5. Pay extra off mortgage whenever possible.
6. Keep growing my hair - a slow but enjoyable process.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »
LemonMyrtle - That's the most sensible list of resolutions I've ever seen. It's manageable and contains all good things that you are either already doing or that shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into your life. I'd sworn off New Year's resolutions but your list causes me to reconsider.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 07:44:03 AM »
Besides the usual; eat better, work out etc.

Try to be more organized-bills and such and neater.
Donate to a favorite cause/charity/research. In my case it will be a small amount but every little bit adds up right?
Read more, listen to music I actually like. Eliminate junk tv as much as possible. Im already on this. I am a chronic channel changer now.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
LemonMyrtle - That's the most sensible list of resolutions I've ever seen. It's manageable and contains all good things that you are either already doing or that shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into your life. I'd sworn off New Year's resolutions but your list causes me to reconsider.

Styyna, I don't usually make resolutions either but this year you all have inspired ME! And I don't like to set myself up to fail, hence the practicality.

Good luck with working out more. I discovered a treadmill wasn't for me. I have so much more fun on my mini trampoline, and I enjoy free weights, yoga, stretching and walking. I look forward to exercising and doing it gives me a feeling of wellbeing. The key is doing something I find enjoyable.

Susie, funny you should mention DIY. I recently bought Girl's Guide to DIY. Despite being well past girlhood and despite thinking it's probably a patronising title, it's visually far more appealing than a blokey book and hooked me! Do you have any particular projects in mind?

Thanna, I've tried two new recipes already this year. It's fun. I also made a pavlova at Christmas for the very first time and shame on me for not tackling one sooner, as it's a classic Australian/New Zealand dessert and I've scoffed enough of them in my time! I think once a month is ideal - 12 new recipes. I wonder which will become favourites.

Anne, Success breeds success. It sounds as if this year will be a good one for you. The things you've done already are good for your body and soul. I once had a red "Stop" sign on my fridge which asked "Are you really hungry?" and gave suggestions about what to do instead of eating.

Listy, I have to use two hand lotions regularly during the day to keep the eczema on my thumb at bay, neither of which is a sunscreen. Perhaps I'll find a small tube of sunscreen to keep in my handbag to use whenever I'll be going outside. I've been remembering my neck every day (front AND back) but, like you, have neglected to protect my hands. I say that shame-facedly, because I do actually think about it and make a decision to not do anything  :-[

Swest, I could be a whole heap better with my bills too. I tend to SCATTER them. No more!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »
I am trying to make sure I have a daily body lotion with SPF to use.  I don't need anything heavy and waterproof for this, and I probably wouldn't enjoy using such a lotion on a daily basis.  Right now (winter here) I just put it on my hands and forearms, plus my chest and the back of my neck, before dressing.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:02:35 AM »
This--- something light with spf and absorbs  quickly and does not stick to clothing.  Most sunscreens I find too sticky, though Neutragena spray on sunscreen comes close but I hate getting sprays near my face and risk breathing it in.

I am trying to make sure I have a daily body lotion with SPF to use.  I don't need anything heavy and waterproof for this, and I probably wouldn't enjoy using such a lotion on a daily basis.  Right now (winter here) I just put it on my hands and forearms, plus my chest and the back of my neck, before dressing.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
I'm not saying this is my resolution, because calling it that feels too daunting. But if I did have a resolution, it would be that I'd like to be more optimistic. Or, I should say I'd like to have some optimism ...... Not even more, because usually I have none. 

When I ask people, or search online "how to be content" or "how to be happy", the usual responses are trite.  Or things like this: "Practice gratitude - use a 'gratitude journal" (I do this.  I am so thankful that I feel guilty).  Or how about this one:  "Surround yourself with happy people", or "live in the moment."  OKaayyy.

So, "cultivate optimism" was listed as well.  This is super hard for me, but I really want to be that kind of person instead of what I am now.  I feel that if I can be optimistic, I can also be less angry/upset/worried.  I do have hope, and I do have faith, but that's not the same thing.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:37 PM »
Don’t search for the Truth in Cyberspace ILLucy…I’ve done it myself and I am sure we are not the only ones, but I doubt that we will find it there, somehow… It is OK to be grumpy sometimes. I was grumpy today. In fact I kicked up a right stink. Sometimes you have to! We can be too accommodating and we put up and ‘shut up’ when we shouldn't.
I am going to add this to my New Year resolution list: Stop being nice to the undeserving!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Don’t search for the Truth in Cyberspace ILLucy…I’ve done it myself and I am sure we are not the only ones, but I doubt that we will find it there, somehow… It is OK to be grumpy sometimes. I was grumpy today. In fact I kicked up a right stink. Sometimes you have to! We can be too accommodating and we put up and ‘shut up’ when we shouldn't.
I am going to add this to my New Year resolution list: Stop being nice to the undeserving!

So right, Milla. Probably the most truth I've gotten in cyberspace is from my friends right here!
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
I agree. Apart from my family and a few close friends, I have got to hand it to you, ladies at TTB, for your patience, kindness, sense of humour, wisdom and humility …the list goes on and on!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
I need to add using SPF on the backs of my hands, too. After all, it is only for the couple of months we see the sun over here. I could start using a hand cream, too......
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
Add another one. My hands have gotten so bad looking.  Very low humidity and the sun can really do damage where I live. So definitely hands and chest area and try to cover up with thin higher necked t-shirts. If there were thin driving gloves out there with grips that is what I would use that. No kidding.

I need to add using SPF on the backs of my hands, too. After all, it is only for the couple of months we see the sun over here. I could start using a hand cream, too......

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »
Lucy (and anyone else), I'd love to learn more about how one cultivates optimism. My DH is a real pessimistic person and just the other evening decided that he didn't like being that way. He turned to me and asked me how to be optimistic. I'm baffled how to answer him. He has deeply held beliefs about the global economy and a host of other hot topics that are quite pessimistic so it's not like I can suggest that he just start thinking optimistically.

I seem to be naturally optimistic or naive or simply able to turn off worrisome thoughts about things over which I have no control. I suspect some of us have natural tendencies one way or the other but I do believe that we can affect our outlook if we really want to - I'm just not sure how. I make a conscious effort to point out things of beauty to my DH and to show him how things that he worried about never came to pass but that's not enough for him.

I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions that I might pass along to my DH.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
Styyna, your DH is lucky to have you!  I recently heard somewhere that we're "stuck with" about 60% of how we are in regards to things like optimism/pessimism.  That's due to our nature or what we're born with, and the life we're born into.  So, that means that 40% is changeable. 

Now maybe that's a bunch of nonsense, I don't know.  But at least that gives me some hope in changing! 
I know that my lack of optimism helps me cope by shielding me from being sad when good things don't happen.  If I think something good will happen, and it doesn't, it's worse for me than thinking the opposite.  I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly.
But of course, then the pessimism leads to worry, which is a whole other animal. Actually, I think my worrying came before my pessimism. 

I've read that optimistic people are healthier and happier.  And that's my goal.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
Sigh.  My DH is exactly like yours, Styyna.  It makes it so hard to maintain my cockeyed optimism.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
Cockeyed optimism  :lol:  I'm sure that's exactly how my DH perceives my outlook. The funny thing is that I didn't pick up on how truly pessimistic he is until after we'd been married a few years. I don't know whether during the "honeymoon" years he was less overtly pessimistic or whether I just overlooked signs of it - probably a bit of both I suppose. I don't think knowing sooner would have changed anything. I still love him just as much as when we first fell in love and more.

Sorry you, too, have a pessimistic DH, Listy, but somehow it's comforting to know I'm not the only woman whose optimism runs smack up against her DH's pessimism. :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
Quite often, the pessimists will insist that they're being simply realistic - just a thought here. I've run into this somewhat with DH too, although he's not an out and out pessimist to the degree that a couple of guys described here though.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
My husband is a ‘cheerful pessimist’ most of the time.I’d like to think that I have helped him ;he says I have. He also says that, as a pessimist, he is seldom disappointed… I am an optimist most of the time: I do have dark moods but I normally don’t show them to people. I have to say that I have used TTB on quite a few occasions to rant & rave and moan…

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
For a long time I had a pessimistic outlook:  Expect the worst and then there are no disappointments, only occasional pleasant surprises - that was my motto to live by.

Somehow I've turned that around because, obviously, it was self-fulfilling. I just don't know exactly how or when I changed. I guess I survived enough of life's issues to realize that I could choose to be content or discontent and I gradually chose the former.

My DH has seen me undergo that change but it doesn't seem to have rubbed off on him. Maybe a little but not enough that he feels less negative enough of the time. He has expressed unhappiness with his outlook but doesn't know how to change it.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »

Susie, funny you should mention DIY. I recently bought Girl's Guide to DIY. Despite being well past girlhood and despite thinking it's probably a patronising title, it's visually far more appealing than a blokey book and hooked me! Do you have any particular projects in mind?

I'm doing some reading and research right now but I am looking at natural toner.  I am interested in checking out Girl's Guide to DIY. So, nothing on the list, yet.  :)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
I know exactly why my DH is so pessimistic.  He's a Vietnam veteran.  'Nuff said.  :(

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
I'm not saying this is my resolution, because calling it that feels too daunting. But if I did have a resolution, it would be that I'd like to be more optimistic. Or, I should say I'd like to have some optimism ...... Not even more, because usually I have none. 

When I ask people, or search online "how to be content" or "how to be happy", the usual responses are trite.  Or things like this: "Practice gratitude - use a 'gratitude journal" (I do this.  I am so thankful that I feel guilty).  Or how about this one:  "Surround yourself with happy people", or "live in the moment."  OKaayyy.

So, "cultivate optimism" was listed as well.  This is super hard for me, but I really want to be that kind of person instead of what I am now.  I feel that if I can be optimistic, I can also be less angry/upset/worried.  I do have hope, and I do have faith, but that's not the same thing.
I remember reading a book when I was in high school called Born to Win by Muriel James and Dorothy Jungeward. It may be worth checking out, Lucy. I actually purchased it last weekend. I've been meaning to reread it again.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »

I'm doing some reading and research right now but I am looking at natural toner.  I am interested in checking out Girl's Guide to DIY. So, nothing on the list, yet.  :)

:lol:  I thought you meant house renovations type DIY! Unless natural toner is a house-painting product I've not heard of?! You won't find Girl's Guide to DIY very helpful. Sorry!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
I remember reading a book when I was in high school called Born to Win by Muriel James and Dorothy Jungeward. It may be worth checking out, Lucy. I actually purchased it last weekend. I've been meaning to reread it again.
Thank you, SusieQ.  I will check it out.

:lol:  I thought you meant house renovations type DIY! Unless natural toner is a house-painting product I've not heard of?! You won't find Girl's Guide to DIY very helpful. Sorry!
Oh, LM, that was SO funny!   :giggle:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

:lol:  Yes, you are right, house toner may not be good for my skin!  :grin: But, I may still check it since I could start doing more house projects, too.  :eek:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I know exactly why my DH is so pessimistic.  He's a Vietnam veteran.  'Nuff said.  :(
Now, to me,  that would be a reason to be an optimist...

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »
Thank you, milla.  Maybe I can get him to see it that way.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
I don't think it is a very easy task Listy. When people have gone through that sort of thing it is not very easy talking about it and it is probably quite irritating when someone like me comes along and says'But you're lucky to be alive!' anyway, if I can tell you a very short story... my father in law was a sailor in a submarine during WWII , and he managed to cheat death a couple of times. One of them was when the submarine he was in got hit by depth charges and sank... I don't know the month, but it was in 1942 and it was on a friday 13th! well he always maintained that friday the 13th was not unlucky at all because 'you can't get much luckier than to escape alive from a sinking submarine'; There was something worse to come... but that is another story, and I won't abuse your patience.
BTW, your DH has my utmost respect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
Thank you for saying that, milla.  His lot didn't feel like heroes when they came home.  They had risked their lives every day and seen friends cut down right in front of their eyes, yet people cursed them, threw things at them, and called them baby-killers and murderers.  They had simply done what their country asked of them and tried to survive it.  That was a sad time in this country.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
They were/are victims, too.And that's all we can say.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:12 AM »
His lot didn't feel like heroes when they came home.  They had risked their lives every day and seen friends cut down right in front of their eyes, yet people cursed them, threw things at them, and called them baby-killers and murderers.  They had simply done what their country asked of them and tried to survive it.  That was a sad time in this country.

This was the reaction in Australia as well, Listy. Devastating for them. Thank heavens that attitude has changed, although too late for many. They were so young and many, many were conscripted, including my brother who was 19 and recently arrived from England. He had the ability to return to the UK and avoid fighting, but it meant leaving his family prematurely. We never did all live together again.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
That was a sad time in this country.

:shesaid:
It seems we need to be inclusive of other countries as well. I was young and disconnected enough that I had no idea that other countries' soldiers were receiving the same lack of a hero's welcome and of appreciation for serving their countries.