News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: 2013 Resolution, anyone?  (Read 3170 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: 2013 Resolution, anyone?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »
I know exactly why my DH is so pessimistic.  He's a Vietnam veteran.  'Nuff said.  :(
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
I'm not saying this is my resolution, because calling it that feels too daunting. But if I did have a resolution, it would be that I'd like to be more optimistic. Or, I should say I'd like to have some optimism ...... Not even more, because usually I have none. 

When I ask people, or search online "how to be content" or "how to be happy", the usual responses are trite.  Or things like this: "Practice gratitude - use a 'gratitude journal" (I do this.  I am so thankful that I feel guilty).  Or how about this one:  "Surround yourself with happy people", or "live in the moment."  OKaayyy.

So, "cultivate optimism" was listed as well.  This is super hard for me, but I really want to be that kind of person instead of what I am now.  I feel that if I can be optimistic, I can also be less angry/upset/worried.  I do have hope, and I do have faith, but that's not the same thing.
I remember reading a book when I was in high school called Born to Win by Muriel James and Dorothy Jungeward. It may be worth checking out, Lucy. I actually purchased it last weekend. I've been meaning to reread it again.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »

Susie, funny you should mention DIY. I recently bought Girl's Guide to DIY. Despite being well past girlhood and despite thinking it's probably a patronising title, it's visually far more appealing than a blokey book and hooked me! Do you have any particular projects in mind?

I'm doing some reading and research right now but I am looking at natural toner.  I am interested in checking out Girl's Guide to DIY. So, nothing on the list, yet.  :)

:lol:  I thought you meant house renovations type DIY! Unless natural toner is a house-painting product I've not heard of?! You won't find Girl's Guide to DIY very helpful. Sorry!
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
I remember reading a book when I was in high school called Born to Win by Muriel James and Dorothy Jungeward. It may be worth checking out, Lucy. I actually purchased it last weekend. I've been meaning to reread it again.
Thank you, SusieQ.  I will check it out.

:lol:  I thought you meant house renovations type DIY! Unless natural toner is a house-painting product I've not heard of?! You won't find Girl's Guide to DIY very helpful. Sorry!
Oh, LM, that was SO funny!   :giggle:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

Susie, funny you should mention DIY. I recently bought Girl's Guide to DIY. Despite being well past girlhood and despite thinking it's probably a patronising title, it's visually far more appealing than a blokey book and hooked me! Do you have any particular projects in mind?

I'm doing some reading and research right now but I am looking at natural toner.  I am interested in checking out Girl's Guide to DIY. So, nothing on the list, yet.  :)

:lol:  Yes, you are right, house toner may not be good for my skin!  :grin: But, I may still check it since I could start doing more house projects, too.  :eek:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I know exactly why my DH is so pessimistic.  He's a Vietnam veteran.  'Nuff said.  :(
Now, to me,  that would be a reason to be an optimist...

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »
Thank you, milla.  Maybe I can get him to see it that way.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
I don't think it is a very easy task Listy. When people have gone through that sort of thing it is not very easy talking about it and it is probably quite irritating when someone like me comes along and says'But you're lucky to be alive!' anyway, if I can tell you a very short story... my father in law was a sailor in a submarine during WWII , and he managed to cheat death a couple of times. One of them was when the submarine he was in got hit by depth charges and sank... I don't know the month, but it was in 1942 and it was on a friday 13th! well he always maintained that friday the 13th was not unlucky at all because 'you can't get much luckier than to escape alive from a sinking submarine'; There was something worse to come... but that is another story, and I won't abuse your patience.
BTW, your DH has my utmost respect.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
Thank you for saying that, milla.  His lot didn't feel like heroes when they came home.  They had risked their lives every day and seen friends cut down right in front of their eyes, yet people cursed them, threw things at them, and called them baby-killers and murderers.  They had simply done what their country asked of them and tried to survive it.  That was a sad time in this country.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
They were/are victims, too.And that's all we can say.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:12 AM »
His lot didn't feel like heroes when they came home.  They had risked their lives every day and seen friends cut down right in front of their eyes, yet people cursed them, threw things at them, and called them baby-killers and murderers.  They had simply done what their country asked of them and tried to survive it.  That was a sad time in this country.

This was the reaction in Australia as well, Listy. Devastating for them. Thank heavens that attitude has changed, although too late for many. They were so young and many, many were conscripted, including my brother who was 19 and recently arrived from England. He had the ability to return to the UK and avoid fighting, but it meant leaving his family prematurely. We never did all live together again.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
That was a sad time in this country.

:shesaid:
It seems we need to be inclusive of other countries as well. I was young and disconnected enough that I had no idea that other countries' soldiers were receiving the same lack of a hero's welcome and of appreciation for serving their countries.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart