News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DIY Laundry Detergent?  (Read 2473 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
DIY Laundry Detergent?
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
Thinking of trying this, but will have to purchase all the ingredients.  What do you think? (I've read through all the comments)

http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: DIY Laundry Detergent?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
Well, they do say it works in HE front-loading washers, so that answers my first question.  I have never used a powder in mine because I wasn't sure if the dispenser would work properly.  They say it works, though, or you can put it straight in with the laundry. 

Does anyone at your house have sensitive skin?  My DH does, so I can't use anything scented at all.  Probably you could do without the scented stuff though.  I think it sounds like fun - let us know what you decide!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
WhileI find that I am more more valuable than my washer, I'm willing to try DIY on my face since I can stop using the DIY products if something negative happens and hopefully, my face will not suffer so. But, I am a bit worried about DIY for my HE washer.  I would cry if something happens to my washer. I purchased extra warranty and I can't lie if something happens to it and they ask what I've been using.  :eek:

The ingredients do some good, though.  :-\
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
My sister has been making her own laundry detergent for years and she states that her clothing has never been cleaner. I don't know what recipe she uses, unfortunately.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:42:59 AM »
Still on the fence about this.  There are too many different recipes!
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

sashamy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
If I had soft water I would probably experiment, but I have well water and no water softener so I feel better using a name brand detergent.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
If I had soft water I would probably experiment, but I have well water and no water softener so I feel better using a name brand detergent.
Oh! I hadn't thought of that, Lara.  I, too, have a well and no water softener. 

sashamy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
Oh! I hadn't thought of that, Lara.  I, too, have a well and no water softener.

I was curious so I googled the ingredients on the recipe link you posted and it seems that the sodium carbonate or washing soda (not baking soda) is a water softener so it should work very well in hard water. I am just wondering how well this recipe would work in a HE machine that is supposed to use less suds?

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
DIY Laundry Detergent?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
I remember it's mentioned in the comments that it's safe for HE machines. I have a top loader. 

I'm still on the fence about this since I'd have to go out and buy a few of the ingredients. I want it to be worthwhile.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »

I'm still on the fence about this since I'd have to go out and buy a few of the ingredients. I want it to be worthwhile.
I think this is when it does cause a pause because you don't know whether it will work or not. If id doesn't you're left with ingredients that you may not be able to use. That's one of the reasons that it's taking me a while to find something I want to try for diy skincare.  When I find a ne recipe I want to try, I look over the ingredients and if there's an ingredient that I have to buy, I do more research to see if I can use the new ingredient in other things if the new recipe fails. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

mctrader07

• "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:07:18 AM »
using baking soda
  • Complexion: pale
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: light brown

denverly

• Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:08:47 AM »
This can be a great business to start for. Making own laundry detergent will help us save money and we can also sell it to others. We should find a place where we can sell our laundry detergent so people can see it and eventually they will become our loyal customers.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »
ILuvLucy, this is an old topic but it caught my eye. Did you ever try making your own laundry detergent? If not, I could ask my sister if she would be willing to share her recipe. She has started a small business selling her laundry detergent and says it is very easy to make. She sells it in gallon and 5-gallon containers but started in small containers so I'm sure the recipe would accommodate smaller quantities.

She has refined her recipe so that it has the right viscosity along with all natural ingredients. Everything is biodegradable. She says it's very effective - nearly all her ingredients have cleaning properties - and is so safe that she's giving some to our niece as a baby shower gift.

As for selling it, she goes to local farmer's markets and sells it there. She charges a small deposit on her containers so that they are returned when they are empty and that encourages repeat customers. She also makes and sells incense and that's a clever way of attracting customers. She burns some incense at her booth and people follow the scent. :)

Anyway, I can ask her if she's willing to part with her recipe if you like.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
No, I never did get motivated enough to do more research, but I'd love to know your sister's recipe.  I understand if she'd rather not divulge it though!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »
I'll ask her the next time I talk to her. :)