News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What would be considered at "high-heat recipe" vs a "Low-heat recipe"?  (Read 795 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
I recently read this:

"Our recommendations include using extra virgin olive oil that is cold pressed for low heat recipes and using peanut oil for high heat recipes, such as frying.  Sunflower oil (not to be confused with safflower) is an acceptable alternative to olive oil.  Pure butter is good for use with practically every recipe, and butter should absolutely be a core component of every diet.   Always be watchful of the 'smoke point' temperature of an oil because smoking is an indication of dangerous bio-chemical break-down."

I usually use olive oil when mixing up salad dressings and marinades.  But I'm not exactly sure what constitutes high-heat vs. low-heat.  When I'm sauteing vegetable, would that be high heat or low heat? I never really deep-fry anything.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What would be considered at "high-heat recipe" vs a "Low-heat recipe"?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
I don't know what high heat or low heat means. ...but I would like to find out! is it something to do with the temperature at which the fat starts smoking? I  use olive oil for salad dressing, stews and soups, corn oil for deep -frying ( I rarely deep-fry anyway) and ground nut (i.e. peanut oil) for stir-frying . Don't use butter for frying because it has a high smoking point. I tend do use it (sparingly) in sauces or when I do roast chicken.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: What would be considered at "high-heat recipe" vs a "Low-heat recipe"?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Sautéing (from the French sauté, lit. "jumped, bounced" in reference to tossing while cooking)[1] is a method of cooking food, that uses a small amount of oil or fat in a shallow pan over relatively high heat. Ingredients are usually cut into pieces or thinly sliced to facilitate fast cooking. The primary mode of heat transfer during sautéing is conduction between the pan and the food being cooked. Food that is sautéed is browned while preserving its texture, moisture and flavor. If meat, chicken, or fish is sautéed, the sauté is often finished by deglazing the pan's residue to make a sauce.

Sautéing is often confused with pan frying, in which larger pieces of food (for example, chops or steaks) are cooked quickly, and flipped onto both sides. Some cooks make a distinction between the two based on the depth of the oil used, while others use the terms interchangeably.[2][3][4] Sautéing differs from searing in that searing only browns the surface of the food. Olive oil or clarified butter are commonly used for sautéing, but most fats will do. Regular butter will produce more flavor but will burn at a lower temperature and more quickly than other fats due to the presence of milk solids, so clarified butter is more fit for this use.

High heat in the above description would appear to refer to the heat coming from the burner but the food isn't in constant contact with with the pan as in frying.

My guess is that "high-heat recipes" are recipes that call for temperatures of ~400 deg. F or above while "low-heat recipes" probably are below ~300. This is just a guess based on some other Wikipedia reading I did.

The smoking point of any fat or oil is certainly a consideration when deciding which kind to use.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart