News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Question about making soup....  (Read 1693 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Question about making soup....
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
I love making homemade soup during the colder seasons.  My two favorites are Pasta Fagioli and Chicken Noodle.
It seems that no matter how I add the pasta (either raw or cooked) it always cooks more in the soup and becomes overcooked.  I still enjoy the soup, but I'm wondering how the makers of canned soup get around this?
Is my only alternative to keep the pasta separate and add it to individual bowls of heated soup?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Question about making soup....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
I just scanned some recipes for soups with noodles in them and they all add the noodles at the very end and base the rest of the cooking time on how long it takes the noodles to cook. If the soup is to be served immediately, that seems like a good solution to the problem. If the soup isn't going to be served immediately maybe only cook until the noodles are not quite done so that they finish up when reheating it.

This is based solely on what I found online and my best guess as I have no experience with noodle soups.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
If you like to make a big batch of soup so you can have leftovers, I don't know any way to keep pasta from getting too soft when you reheat it.  I always keep it separate for that reason.  As an alternative, you could use a recipe with barley or rice, neither of which gets all mushy. :)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
I don't cook soup very often, in fact I only cook weekends. My DH who does most of the cooking (he works part-time) tells me that he always cooks the pasta separately! he uses small pasta shells in his soups or the tiny little stars.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Yes, I usually cook the pasta seperately and then add it to the soup.  If i eat it immediately, it's fine.  But if it's left on the stove to keep warm, the pasta continues to cook -- gets all big and too soft.  And I like to freeze the extra.  It's just not working!  Tastes good, but not as good as when first made.
Rarely, I'll make a noodle like my grandmother used to - out of egg and flour.  Like an egg drop noodle.  Those seem to work out ok.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
When I said I keep them separate, I meant permanently.  :)  I let everyone add pasta to each bowl as desired.  Then I store the leftovers separately, too. 

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
When I said I keep them separate, I meant permanently.  :)  I let everyone add pasta to each bowl as desired.  Then I store the leftovers separately, too.
Ah ok! I actually thought of that. I guess that's the best option.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »
Having made minestrone (translates to "big soup", implying heartiness) my whole life (and having had coaching from my Italian grandmother and father),

yes, you add the pasta at the end.  You have to pull it off the heat sooner as it will continue cooking for a little in such a big pot of soup.  For example, if the package said 10 minutes, I might yank it off the heat at 9 and a half. Well, unless you're going to serve it right away, then you need to test the pasta for doneness (so you don't go past that point and serve wallpaper paste!).  You see, sometimes we make the soup and then it gets packed up and refrigerated or frozen; when it's reheated, that pasta will cook just a wee bit more.

If the soup was to cook for an hour and a half, I'd put that 10 minute pasta in at around the 1 hour 20 minute mark.

If I'm not making sense, just whack me  :lol:
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
you make perfect sense! and thank you for the tips!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
Last weekend, I added barley to my soup instead of pasta.  (I made a soup with little meatballs).  The barley still got a little mushy as the days went by, but not as much as the pasta.  I think from now on, I'll leave the pasta seperate.  I don't know if I'll be making soup this weekend.  :rollseyes:

sashamy

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:51:30 AM »
Does anyone make soup in a slow cooker? I don't want to be standing over a stove all day, just because. I would really love to make a spicy squash soup.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
I've seen recipes for soup made in a slow cooker, but haven't made any.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
Same here with the recipes. 

I don't feel that I stand over the stove all day when I make soup, however -- I just get the basic recipe going with meat, tomatoes, onion, garlic, bay leaves, broth, etc., and turn it down to a simmer for a couple of hours.  Then I come back and add whatever ingredients don't need to cook as long (like barley, seasonings, and frozen vegetables) and in 30 minutes it is ready to serve.  I often use that last bit of time to set the table and prepare garlic bread or rolls of some sort.

This is making me hungry!

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
I made homemade Italian Peasant soup last night. It came out sooooo goooood!!! My husband bought a roasted garlic ciabatta bread to go with it. Couldn't ask for anything more except the couple glasses of wine I knocked back before eating it!!  :grin:
MJ :)
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

sashamy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
I made homemade Italian Peasant soup last night. It came out sooooo goooood!!! My husband bought a roasted garlic ciabatta bread to go with it. Couldn't ask for anything more except the couple glasses of wine I knocked back before eating it!!  :grin:
MJ :)

That sounds so yuumy MJ! I would love the recipe if you would like to share.

Yesterday I made tomato crab soup. Very easy recipe. One can Campbell's tomato soup, one can Campbell's cream of mushroom (I use the Healthy Request), one or 2 cans of lump crabmeat, and 1 1/2 cans of milk (use the empty soup can to measure). Heat over a medium flame (do not allow to boil) and when you see the soup bubbling I add some dry sherry (I just eye ball it) and let it simmer for a few minutes. I like to serve it with fresh bread (I like Italian herb). One thing my husband says is that it even better the next day. (I prefer my booze in my cooking. easier to hide, hiccup!)