News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown  (Read 5419 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »
Here's the topic for the actual discussion. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:54 AM »
Favorite quote so far!
"Because despite his money and his looks and all the good-on-paper attributes he possessed, he was not a reader, and, well, let's just say that is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put."
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »

I enjoyed that line, too.
I am enjoying the book very much! I am finding the description of each sister and her secrets interesting, and I find myself wanting more interactions between them, more "real" opening up to one another.
   Do you ladies relate to a particular sister? I was most like Bean as I relate it back to when I was a younger woman. Wanting male attention, acting with questionable integrity. I also have a sister just like Rose, who thinks the world will fall apart without her micro managing everything.
    I have found characteristics to like about each of the three sisters, and I think that is proof of a well designed story line and a good author.   
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
   Do you ladies relate to a particular sister?

I was thinking about this as I was reading the book as well.  I guess I'd be a cross between Rose and Bean.  Not a "micro-manager", but definitely worried that things would fall apart if I wasn't there.  :rollseyes:  Yet more like Bean in that I think I would want to go live with my fiance in England! (only if the mom was going to be ok, of course).  I wouldn't dismiss it right away like Rose did.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »

Do you all feel that Rose wants to stay home "just" to take care of her Mom, or do you think there's something more behind her desire not to go to England to be with Jonathan?
I wonder if there's fear there that is totally unrelated, but it is easy for Rose to act as if she absolutely has to take care of Mom as her excuse for not living her own life.
                   - Rosalind Russell

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:47 AM »
My apologies to everyone...not only did I not get to read today but I am late to the discussion topic.  I won't bore you with the particulars of my semi-bad day, but I would much rather have been here talking to you, I promise you!

I loved that line, too, Lucy!  I love so many lines in this book already -- I think I should make a list.  Brown has the freshest writer's voice I have seen in ages.  Such a way she has with a phrase. 

I am also growing fond of all three sisters as I read, and I want to see them work out their problems while improving their relationship with one another.  I'm dying to know what y'all make of the first person plural narration, too.  Sometimes it's as if two of them are discussing the third one.  It's totally charming, don't you think?

Finally, I agree that something else is holding Rose back.  She has many fears, methinks.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:06 AM »
Hope everything is ok, ML.

Do you all feel that Rose wants to stay home "just" to take care of her Mom, or do you think there's something more behind her desire not to go to England to be with Jonathan?
I wonder if there's fear there that is totally unrelated, but it is easy for Rose to act as if she absolutely has to take care of Mom as her excuse for not living her own life.
I think that people like Rose (people who like to control things) aren't fond of the unknown.  And heading off to England is a big "unknown" to her, even though she'd be with her fiance/husband.  I know that big changes are hard for me.  I like things to be settled and somewhat predictable.  But she's only in her 30's!?     
And now she has an (almost sure) offer for her "dream job" right where she grew up.  Typical "eldest daughter"?

We see Cordy almost as the exact opposite!

I am also growing fond of all three sisters as I read, and I want to see them work out their problems while improving their relationship with one another.  I'm dying to know what y'all make of the first person plural narration, too.  Sometimes it's as if two of them are discussing the third one.  It's totally charming, don't you think?

:agreed:  They're all likeable - even Bean - though I'm angry at her for the affair!  >:(

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »

That is my one little disparaging remark about the book, which I think is excellent. I think
Cordy's character is a little TOO ....flaky. Sometimes she almost makes me think of her as the family dog rather than the baby sister, lol.

I can see why Rose is such an uptight woman. She really stood in the gap for the mother, it sounds like, from a very young age. 
                   - Rosalind Russell

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

Bean and the affair, I so agree, that was a pretty heartless thing to do. And I love that the author added a few times how this man's wife had been nothing less than wonderful to Bean when she was growing up, too. I guess it just shows the desperation in Bean to be given attention. 
                   - Rosalind Russell

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

I do like how the book is narrated very much. Very interesting!!

It's interesting to me how secretive the girls are, even with one another. If I were pregnant like Cordy, the very second I put my guitar case in the foyer of the house I'd be telling the world,LOL.

Do they not trust one another, the sisters, or were they raised to keep things to themselves?
What do you think?
                   - Rosalind Russell

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

I LOVE how the author articulates the love and intimacy between the parents. Excellent work.
I looked the author up and this is her very first book! I hope she has a long and successful writing career, she's a real talent.
                   - Rosalind Russell

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »

Want to tell us about your bad day, makinalist ?
                   - Rosalind Russell

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »
 :hidesbehindsofa: I haven't read up to Chapter 12. I've been sick and trying to catch up at work and home.   :)  But, I am progressing nicely.  I'm not going to read the entries here. I'll wait until I've caught up with you all.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 01:51:45 PM »
Sorry I'm so late to the discussion. I've been swamped with work.

I find myself relating to both Rose and parts of Bean and I see my younger sister in Cordy. Rose seems to me to epitomize the eldest daughter. She's the super responsible one who feels the most tied to her parents and her home. Like Rose and others here, I prefer to know what to expect much of the time and I've almost always been that way. But that's where the Bean side of me kicks in - and where I've gotten into the most trouble in my life. Instead of setting goals for myself I jumped into different situations and ended up being reactive rather than proactive until finally I had to abandon the situations. (I haven't engaged in affairs with married men though!)

One of the things that kind of surprises me is that there doesn't seem to be much concern about their mother and her battle with cancer. Sure, all the sisters are home but they seem to be much more focused on their own needs than on their mother's. I kind of expected the sisters to find common ground and rally together at their mother's side.

One thing I've pondered is what the triggers were for each of the sisters as they were growing up that led them to the lifestyles they chose. I think sibling order is a factor, with Cordy being the baby of the family, Rose the responsible one, and Bean just kind of floundering in the middle. Surely with all the reading they did and still do they have had an opportunity to consider different options in their lives. Other than their father's love of Shakespeare, I don't recall any of the sisters drawing upon their vast knowledge of books. (Maybe I just missed that.)

My thoughts are kind of all over the place - sorry about that. It's been a week or more since I actually read the chapters and so I've been trying to scan through them again to refresh my memory. And that brings me to my final point for now. I've never been a literary scholar so I tend to take books at face value when I read them, often forgetting important parts of the stories. I feel like the sisters do the same thing. They read to escape temporarily but not to explore new ideas. We don't even know what books they are reading, just where they happened to find them.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
So where is everybody in the book?  I think I'll be finished this weekend, and don't want to spoil any parts for you!