News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown  (Read 5429 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
I'll finish up by Wednesday.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

I like what you've had to say, Styyna!

I tend to agree, the girls are written to represent their label of first child, middle child, baby...within the text.
I haven't noticed anything about the sisters and their books, other than the fact that they are all always reading one, that their tastes are rather indiscriminate (they pick up and read whatever is near their fingertips, it seems) and I think that the parents have been intentionally placed in the background.

I stopped reading at chapter 12 but will pick up on it again. I hope to finish by next Wednesday but man, these are some long chapters! Personally I would love it if we could read only four or five of them by Wednesday and discuss, rather than reading the entire book. I am feeling a bit rushed. However, whatever you all decide is fine by me.

I was wondering if you had any predictions. Will the mother survive her subsequent surgeries and chemo? Up to chapter 12 we are told that the mother has lymph node involvement and that the mastectomy was not the end of the road for her. Will the family be happy about Cordy being pregnant? Do you think she will wind up with the guy at the Beanery?

I am hoping that the ending will not be what I expect, where the mother dies and Cordy has the baby and marries the Beanery man and they name the baby, a girl, a Shakespearian name, LOL. Oh, and Rose doesn't marry  Jonathan and Bean becomes the perfect Pastor's wife. What do you think?
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
I'd be in favor of discussing the next 4or 5 chapters this Wednesday and stretching our discussion out a little. I'll be able to read more carefully than if I try to finish the book.

Any objections? Would this interfere with anyone's library due date?
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
Oh, yes!  That would be very good for me!

Want to tell us about your bad day, makinalist ?
My bad day was one of those typical I-have-too-much-to-do-in-one-day-and-nothing-is-working-as-I-planned days. :gaah:  You know the kind of day I mean!  Thanks for asking. :)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »
Since there were no objections, let's discuss the next 4 chapters for sure. That takes us through Chapter 16 if I'm not mistaken.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »

Right!!
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
I'm still behind. Now, that I'm recovering from the cold/flu, my DH/DS are coming down with it.  I'm get some reading tonight, I hope.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
Crickets this week,  huh? Apparently I'm  not the only one who's behind on reading.

I'll try to finish through Chapter 16 this evening.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Crickets this week,  huh? Apparently I'm  not the only one who's behind on reading.

I'll try to finish through Chapter 16 this evening.
Nooo! I finished it last weekend. :-)
Oh my gosh, I loved this book. Thank you for recommending it. I think it was Chataround?
I'll scan back through the book to get more specific (up to chapter 16).
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
 :lol: - Shame on me. I'm still on Chapter 7. I will made a dent tonigh!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »
I'm getting there!  I do love the book, too - just been busy lately for some reason.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
Lucy - I'm so sorry that the rest of us seem to be behind. We'll all catch up as soon as we can! I finished Chapter 15 last night and will get to Chapter 16 today. I'm enjoying the book a lot and am glad that we chose it.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Lucy - I'm so sorry that the rest of us seem to be behind. We'll all catch up as soon as we can! I finished Chapter 15 last night and will get to Chapter 16 today. I'm enjoying the book a lot and am glad that we chose it.
That's OK!  You all have much more going on than I do.  And I have a huge need to escape into my books.  :reading2:
Also, I think I'm allowed to hold on to the book for awhile longer (from the library).  I'm glad everyone is enjoyiing it too.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
I caught up through Ch. 16 last night and things are moving right along, plot-wise!
I am hoping that the ending will not be what I expect, where the mother dies and Cordy has the baby and marries the Beanery man and they name the baby, a girl, a Shakespearian name, LOL. Oh, and Rose doesn't marry  Jonathan and Bean becomes the perfect Pastor's wife. What do you think?
You know, I think you may be partly right here.  Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to matter much to the plot whether the mother lives or dies in the end.  Her illness was merely the catalyst that brought the sisters home.  Is that weird?

Meanwhile, Rose needs to go to England and marry Jonathan, but whether she will is another matter.  She would have to lose her lifelong compulsion to take care of everyone else.  (I understand that need, by the way.  Reading this book has me examining my own problems!)

I'm having trouble imagining Bean as anyone's perfect wife.  She has a long way to go before she could be marriage material - much less to a clergyman.

I'm pulling for Cordy to have her baby and be a great mother.  The Beanery guy would be a bonus for her, if he accepts the baby.

I am still fascinated with the narration incorporating sometimes two sisters and sometimes all three.  It switches seamlessly from one to the other.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Still working on Chapter 16 but wanted to comment about the narration. I find myself stumbling over the style of the narration because it does seem to switch between 2 and 3 sisters and I'm caught off guard when that happens. I find myself wondering if it's really all 3 narrating all the time or, at times, if only 2 are narrating. It's an interesting technique but one that captures my attention, often interrupting the flow. That said, sometimes I find it charming. Go figure!

I agree that Rose clearly belongs with Jonathan - he's the breath of fresh air in her life that she so desperately needs. Will the mother's health play a role, after all, in determining Rose's fate?

It seem too much like a fairy tale ending for Bean to end up with the priest and I agree that she has a long way to go before she's marriage material. Her past is still too big a part of her present.

As for Cordy, I don't have a solid feel for where she's at other than she has become attached to her baby as someone no one can take away from her. But is she really ready to be a mother? Is she ready to settle down and provide a grounded existence for her child? I'm not getting strong vibes from the Beanery guy along those lines.

And I have questions. What is the point of the father's obsession with Shakespeare? I know nothing of Shakespeare so I find the quotes inscrutable and tend to just let them pass by without much thought. Why was it necessary for the daughters to all come home? I suppose the mother's illness and Rose's reluctance to leave familiar settings sort of dictate that they all meet up at home but somehow I thought that more aspects of their youth would be at play, other than their birth order.