News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown  (Read 5575 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Book Club Discussion - "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
I am almost finished with the book. I am at the last chapter and should be done with shortly.  Are we just finishing up to Chapter 16 or shall be wait until we've completed the book to discuss? 

I like the title and I see where it came from but I think they were more lost than weird.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
I am almost finished with the book. I am at the last chapter and should be done with shortly.  Are we just finishing up to Chapter 16 or shall be wait until we've completed the book to discuss? 

How does everyone feel about this? Should we pause our discussion until everyone has had a chance to finish the book? There are seven chapters left after Chapter 16.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
About the narration...when all three sisters are narrating, it usually concerns their collective experience as children in the family.  When the narration drops to only two, they are talking about their other sister as an individual.  Also, the narration is omniscient -- we see their thoughts and reactions. 
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:32 AM »
Has everyone finished the book?  I have.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Hmmm....let me think for a minute.  :puzzled:

Yes, I vaguely remember reading a book of this title :giggle: .
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:24:18 PM by ILuvLucy »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Oh, right - the reading machine!  How many more have you read while waiting for us to finish one? :grin:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
Lucy is a reading machine!  I'm done.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
I'm finished, too, but in the end stages (I hope) of the flu. Please begin discussing as soon as you feel like it.

Also, Listy, did you say you found some good guidelines for book clubs for this book? Perhaps this would be a good time to introduce them?
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
There are 17 discussion questions here:
http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides_w/the_weird_sisters1.asp

I also found the same ones at the end of my paperback copy.  Does everyone else have these as well?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 06:08:03 AM »
I purchased the ebook so I don't have the questions but I don't mind looking at them online.

As a starting point, I'm intrigued by question #6:

In what ways are the sisters’ problems of their own making? Does this make them more or less sympathetic?

My first thought is that immaturity is the source of their problems but I'd like to hear the opinions of others. I think that they are each finally beginning to realize that it's time to take responsibility for her own life - actually being forced to take on responsibility - and that is causing them to "grow up" rather quickly. I find their delayed maturity less than sympathetic a lot of the time but that's probably because I ended up taking on responsibility at an early age.

Rose's future is threatened if she doesn't learn to challenge her self limitations. Come on, Rose! You have a wonderful person waiting to show you his love and the world. Let go and have some fun!

Bean is already deep in trouble when we meet her and she takes her sweet time coming to grips with the extent of her troubles, even extending them with her affair. I found her the least sympathetic but the most interesting. I have the hardest time understanding her motivations. I read the end of the book rather quickly while I was under the weather so I think I missed some things, especially about Bean. Why did she end up at the opposite end of the spectrum, going from flashy, if illusionary, big city girl to librarian? I recall that she confided in Father Aiden and he helped but I can't recall exactly what transpired. While I may not find her terribly sympathetic she certainly makes an impressive turn-around and it seems to me that it's largely motivated from within herself. I admire that.

Cordy, of course, has an unexpected pregnancy that forces her reality check and, while she struggles with bringing an end to her flighty lifestyle, she eventually makes peace with her new life. It doesn't hurt that she, like Rose, has someone who loves and understands her to help ground her.

Another question that intrigues me, and for which I have no answer, is #14:  Why do you think the mother is never given a name? What does everyone think?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »
Hmmm. It seems that interest in this topic has dropped. If anyone has anything to offer please chime in soon. Otherwise I'll start a new post about finding another book for us to read.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
I really loved this book.  At one point, I had extreme dislike for Cordy.  When she had decided to take off again.
And then again, I remember feeling so much empathy for Rose.  I almost cried for her when she was trying to figure out her place --wondering if her family really needed her or not.  How they seemed to do just fine without her. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
I have been recommending this book to other women I think would enjoy it.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »

Sorry to have fallen off the edge of the cyber  earth..we had a tragic death in the family and my nephew was killed.

I am so happy to see that you all enjoyed the book, since I was worried about choosing it. That was an interesting point, how the mother never even had a name in the story. I didn't even notice that!

I thought the book spoke about so many interesting subtopics, like how different siblings, depending sometimes on their birth order, seem to almost automatically take on a way of being, like Rose being such a caretaker, as oldest. I also think it spoke so well of the expectations we have for ourselves and those in our family, and also how very judgmental we can be!

I was glad that the mother didn't die at the end of the book but then again, I doubt that it mattered. I enjoyed reading about how much the father loved his wife, even
being sort of kooky. He was totally devoted. I wish he were able to speak more freely with his girls. They all seemed to need it, each in their own way.

I found that I had empathy for each of the sisters. For Rose, who felt such pressure to be "the good, devoted one" that she almost gave up the love of her life, for Bean who was looking for love in all the wrong places and loaded with shame, and often had far less guilt than I would have liked her to, lol, and for Cordy who was a wild child who I think just needed real connection to find "home" and stop running. I think that what she looked at as freedom was actually escape. 

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »

Question for all from the study guide.....

1. The Andreas family is dedicated to books, particularly Shakespeare. Would the family be different if their father were an expert on a different writer? Edgar Allan Poe, let’s say, or Mark Twain? What if they were a family of musicians or athletes, rather than readers? How might that change their dynamic? Is there an interest that unites your family in the same way that reading unites the Andreas family?

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell