News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: MORE Magazine / What magazines do you read?  (Read 1320 times)

MJ

• Gold Member
MORE Magazine / What magazines do you read?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
Has anyone subscribed to this? I've gotten offers in the mail but I may wait until my SELF subscription expires. I think it is about time to let that magazine go. I also read Woman's Day, Shape, Allure, Redbook and Good Housekeeping. The GH I got a year free from RITE AID's Wellness Point program. We have a woman at work who brings in the magazines she does not read so I also have a stash of Family Circle, Whole Living and Prevention on my desk for days I don't leave the office on my break.
MJ :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

sashamy

Re: MORE Magazine / What magazines do you read?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »
MJ, I was thinking about this very topic the other day!

I read MORE when it first came out, but a few years later the magazine just changed. When they first started the focus waas primarily women over 40. After that the focus seemed to shift to "successful" women over 40. I was a SAHM at that time and the magazine simply has no relevance to me.

I love and still subscribe to Good Housekeeping and also like Prevention.

I had been a subscriber to Glamour from age 13 to about my early 40s when I realized it wasn not for me anymore. I used to subscribe to Redbook, Women's Day, Oprah, Alure, Lucky, etc, but none of these seem to cater to us older women. Good Housekeeping seems to focus on stuff that is relevant to me. To tell you the truth I am a member of AARP and get their magazine and newsletters and find more of the information I want there. I also get the WebMD magazine on my iPad free each month and really like that.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
I love More. I let my subscription lapse because I was getting too many magazines. I plan to pick it up again this summer when some of my other subscriptions expire. I was getting about 6 in the mail and couldn't keep up with them all.  More will be back in my lineup soon!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »
I will occasionally pick it up but to be honest its been quite a while at least over a year and half. Everything I read is now online. Too busy to bother with magazines I guess and do not want the added clutter in my home.     

Sometimes I will get something like Good Housekeeping from a client I stay in touch with and that's it. The only other magazine I get is from AAA because of my membership.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
I subscribe to MORE but probably will let my subscription lapse this time around. I tend to agree with Lara's assessment of it. It's targeted at successful women or, at the very least, women who are very ambitious in ways that I do not relate to. I've always enjoyed Good Housekeeping and may subscribe to that one again though I think I'll try a copy or two from the newsstand before committing to a whole year.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »
I am trying out Real Simple this year and so far it's pretty good.  They have a wide variety of topics and they don't seem to be too far out there for me. :)

Allure and Redbook seem geared to the younger women these days - younger than me, at least.  I do like Good Housekeeping, especially for their reviews.  I don't trust any other magazines for those.

I had a free subscription to More last year, but I won't miss it when it runs out.  Everything they talk about is ridiculously expensive for my taste.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »
I used to be addicted to magazines but now I only buy one occasionally, maybe if I am going away and I want something to read on the plane or train, especially if there is a freebie... We buy a  Saturday paper, which I read throughout the week. I still have to read a lot of articles for work everyday and I don't read as much as I used to for pleasure. Now that I have got my kindle things are getting better: I can read it on the tube when I go out. I must admit that I got a bit tired of women's magazines and I find (some) blogs a lot more interesting!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
I am trying out Real Simple this year and so far it's pretty good.  They have a wide variety of topics and they don't seem to be too far out there for me. :)

I subscribed to Real Simple for a number of years but felt that it shifted from its practical roots to ideas and recommendations that were far more expensive and less practical. I haven't read a copy in at least a couple of years though so maybe it has improved.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart