News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My skin is beginning to droop. What might be finished aside fr. a facelift, lase  (Read 1815 times)

Areyanna

Hello All,
In line w/ the above inquiry, what facial actions, skin health management items, diet, et al, are there to anticipate further hanging? Much appreciated exceptionally much for your answer!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Hello!  This is a very big question, but I can tell you where to start:  Sunscreen every day.  Other possibilities include Retin-A or retinol products, AHAs or other exfoliating products, Vitamin C serums, and the list goes on.  Most results that don't involve surgery will be subtle, but they do happen.  I have read that some people have had success with facial exercises, but I have not tried them.

If you are able to consult a dermatologist that might be a good place to start...otherwise it is a question of trial and error to see what your skin likes, and read lots of articles and reviews.  Good luck!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
I bought a facial exercise book and have yet to open it.  Maybe I'll bring it to Hawaii and do them on the beach.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
It seems like for serious sagging plastic surgery of some sort is in the cards, or maybe some of the newer thermal "tightening" procedures that come with their own risks, as there really aren't any "firming creams" as such(contrary to what the skin care manufacturers would like to have one believe). Maybe a good set of facial exercises like what SusieQ referred to might help ward off worse sagging? I have no experience with facial exercises though.
Aside from that, I'd go along with what makinalist said, according to your skin's tolerance. Some of the real anti-agers(Rx retinoids and skin lighteners, medical chemical peels)can be quite harsh for some skins - there's a reason why they're Rx. If you're not on a good sunblock, get onto one now - it might not undo damage but it might help keep things from getting worse.
If you're still not sure as to what products, a visit to a good dermatologist could set you on the right track and you wouldn't be wasting your money on stuff that has a lot of hype but really doesn't work. But chances are they will recommend a good cleanser and moisturizer according to skin type(doesn't have to be expensive), sunblock worn year-round no matter what the weather, exfoliation as tolerated(anything from a glycolic cleanser up to stronger leave-on products)and a retinoid, and an eye cream if you want. The retinoid can be an OTC retinol product(especially good for a beginner or for someone with more reactive skin)all the way up to Rx. If you get those few things in place that's basically all you need in the way of home skin care. Said dermatologists often recommend some perfectly good drugstore products, in addition to a targeted Rx product or procedure.
On the general health front, which does affect the state of one's skin as well, be sure to get enough fresh foods in your diet, plenty of water and exercise, get enough sleep. Last but certainly not least, really watch the sun exposure. A lot of collagen and elastin(what keeps skin nice and firm when younger)damage happens from a lot of unprotected sun exposure. A little is good, but a lot is NOT better. Best of luck with this!:)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:03:17 PM by cara4art »

sashamy

I bought a facial exercise book and have yet to open it.  Maybe I'll bring it to Hawaii and do them on the beach.  :lol:

Hawaii in my opinion is the fountain of youth. pleaseeee take me with you!!!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty

Hawaii in my opinion is the fountain of youth. pleaseeee take me with you!!!!
I think we should include this spot for what I hope to many of TTB's meet and greet!  I would love to take you with me Lara! Between you and I, after the beach toasting, I'm sure that we will find every makeup store and just unwind and would be perfect end to a day.

Caine, my dear, I need a meditating smiley right about now.  :happyinthesun:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
With my skincare post above, I in no way meant that this would "lift" the face, but more as general skin care that would make things just look better overall, as well as slowing down some sun damage and all.:)

Canie

• Administrator
Of course!   :meditate:
-Canie

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Of course!   :meditate:
Too cute! I love it. Thank you!!

Returning to topic:

Areyanna, have you check youtube regarding the facial exercise?  They may have something that you can try and see how that works for you in a month before investing in anything further.  Good luck!!