News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Did I tell you I got a NOOK?  (Read 1455 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Did I tell you I got a NOOK?
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »
Just want to say right off the bat, that I'm a REAL book lover - that is my preference.  But sometimes it's hard for me to get a real book from the library and I don't purchase books anymore. 
So I got this Nook for $10 from my town's virtual yard sale on Facebook.  It's the First edition one - so a couple of years old I guess.  I borrow ebooks from my library.  The only thing I don't like is that you cannot renew the books - the longest you can take one out is 14 days.
It's easy on the eyes (not like a computer screen), and though I'm still getting used to it, it seems to be working great!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Did I tell you I got a NOOK?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
That's so perfect for you!  I didn't know that you can only borrow the book for 14 days.  That would not work for me.  I mean, I guess, I can do it if I had to but I kinda like the luxury of checking it out at least one more time.  :)

But, that's a nice deal - $10. That virtual yard sale is pretty good.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
I still don't have one, but I can see the usefulness for travel and waiting rooms.  I hope you enjoy yours very much, Lucy!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
I think this would be a deal breaker for me. The Kindle doesn't have a expiration date. But, you can only borrow so many within a month, I think. I can't remember.   :)

JennyDriscoll

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
I think this would be a deal breaker for me. The Kindle doesn't have a expiration date. But, you can only borrow so many within a month, I think. I can't remember.   :)

I have a Kindle and "borrowed" a book of recipes.  I haven't the foggiest when it will disappear from my device (and oddly enough it's not available to me in the cloud reader, just on my device) so I made sure this morning I copied down all the recipes (uhm... just 2 of em) I wanted to be sure and grab jusssssssst in case ;)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
I would imagine that each library has their own rules as to length of time you can have an ebook out. If a book is due back and I haven't finished it, I can always request it again. I just can't "renew" it like I would a regular book.  This is through my town library.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »

I have a Kindle and "borrowed" a book of recipes.  I haven't the foggiest when it will disappear from my device (and oddly enough it's not available to me in the cloud reader, just on my device) so I made sure this morning I copied down all the recipes (uhm... just 2 of em) I wanted to be sure and grab jusssssssst in case ;)
Hmmm...maybe there is a due date. I always just returned the books once I was done but I know that I had them over a month.  I love recipe books. I love to cook but I love collecting them more.  Weird, ah...

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
I would imagine that each library has their own rules as to length of time you can have an ebook out. If a book is due back and I haven't finished it, I can always request it again. I just can't "renew" it like I would a regular book.  This is through my town library.
That's true, Lucy. I'll glad that you can request it again.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:48:41 PM »
What a great way to buy a Nook! My DS got a Nook when they first came out and is very happy with it. I ended up with a Kindle because that's what my DH got for me.

As much as you read, I think you'll love it. It won't replace the feel of holding a book in your hands but it is an effective and economical means of obtaining books.

I haven't used my Kindle to check out library ebooks. I think I read that libraries are limited by licensing to how many copies of ebooks they can have checked out at a time. Can you get new books with waiting lists faster electronically?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
I do love feel and smell of books.  I think that they secrets and I can daydream about what secrets they hold.   :springbutterfly:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »
I haven't used my Kindle to check out library ebooks. I think I read that libraries are limited by licensing to how many copies of ebooks they can have checked out at a time. Can you get new books with waiting lists faster electronically?

My experience so far at my library, is that I can get desired real books quicker than ebooks.  It's odd because I just assumed that an ebook could be duplicated and a library could loan out as many copies as needed, but NOT so!  The wait list for new ebooks is always much longer.
But there are SO many ebooks out there, that I'm never without something to read. I just keep browsing through my Goodreads recommendations and continue to click on that "hold" button on my library's website.   

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »
Interesting that so many people have eReaders that there is that much competition for ebooks.

I really like the idea of borrowing books (for free!) from the library. I really don't care to pay for my ebooks because they could be taken away from me at the will of the vendor. Even though the books I've purchased for my Kindle are also stored in the cloud, I don't have that much faith in electronic gadgetry and those who sell it.

We are Amazon Prime members ($79 per year) and besides free 2-day shipping and free movie streaming (on a limited basis) we can check out one book per month for free from a fairly interesting list. I haven't come across recent bestsellers but there are still plenty of books I haven't read to satisfy me.

For Nooks but not Kindles ePubBooks offers free books for download, too.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart