News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Light and Lasting Scents  (Read 5043 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Light and Lasting Scents
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
I always have trouble choosing a scent for the summer heat.  I'm a warm, spicy, orientals kind of girl.  My faves don't work when the temperatures climb.  I know I should choose a citrus or something, but the only ones I have tried don't last at all.  I always end up with nothing.

Is there such a thing as a light fragrance that also lasts at least four hours, or is that an oxymoron?  Something that doesn't smell like fruit or candy, please.  Am I crazy to want this?:confused013: 
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Thanna

• Gold Member
Re: Light and Lasting Scents
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
Have you tried any of the Atelier fragrances?  Vanille Insensee and Oolang Infini might work for you or perhaps Bois Blonds.  The vanilla isn't sweet at all so it works for summer.  Diptyque Eau Duelle might work as well although it seems to be feast or famine in terms of staying power.  Lasts milliseconds on me but I've read reviews where others find it quite long lasting.  You might also check out the Cinq Mondes line.  Lots of spice but not too heavy.  Eau Egyptienne is one you've probably heard of but I love Rituel de Java and Rituel de Kyoto.  If you're open to a scent from the men's side of the aisle try Cartier Declaration or Mugler's Cologne (reminds me of the smell of spray starch which makes me feel pressed even when I look wilted  :grin:)
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions!  I see some sampling in my future.  I have no qualms about wearing men's cologne, and vanilla will be fine as long as it doesn't dominate the scent.  I like it in the background but I don't much care for gourmands.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »
Dear Listy,
Please tell me about summer heat. What is it like to feel the warmth of the sun in your old bones? Here,  we are stuck in a kind of weather-limbo: grey,  dull skies, a chilly wind,  rain... and it has been like this forever. :(
 I also have trouble transitioning from winter scents to summer ones. Now, that I live in Narnia the problem is solved: I don't have to change. But I did, anyway. Just to cheer me up, I am wearing Chance by Chanel, which is not one of the 'great Chanel scents' but is pleasant. Please don't ask me to describe it. My brain has turned into 'day-old mash potato'. But check the reviews on MUA or, better still, Bois de Jasmin. You might like it.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
Oh, milla!  I'm sorry you have such dreary weather!  We get that a couple of months a year and nobody likes it.  Unfortunately, our heat comes with humidity tacked on, and my old bones don't like the moisture.  I experienced dry heat last year when we traveled to Utah and back, and it was very different.  I was warm without the sweat!

You deserve a scent that cheers you up!♥

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
Listy, I was going to suggest Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue, but (to me at least) it has a grapefruity scent when first applied which you may not like. The top notes are Granny Smith apple, Sicilian cedar and Bluebells; middle notes are jasmine, white rose, and bamboo; base notes are cedarwood, amber, and musks.

This scent has real lasting power, and only a light application is needed. I'm not currently wearing this, but when I did I used up an entire bottle as well as a couple of the shower gels and the body gel.

As a side note on this fragrance, there is an inexpensive ($9.99) dupe of it made by Perfect Scents (available at CVS and probably other drug stores). Reviewers at MUA swear that the PS version smells and lasts exactly like the real thing. I haven't tried it but will check it out next time I'm at CVS  :evil:

Milla, sending you wishes for sunshine, but there's no place I'd rather be when it's overcast and damp than England!  :happyinthesun:
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

sashamy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
The only scents I can wear is the summer are citrusy (is that spelled correctly?) because for some reason, the bugs hate it. But I usually smell of sunscreen and bug repellant on the hot humid days when I am gardening. Last weekend I told me husband he smelled great and he told me it was Off Bug Repellant.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
That is so funny! Here we haven't even had bugs, they have all gone off to warmer shores. I know what you mean about big repellent. I always use citronella candles when we have  a b-b-q in the summer to repel insects. But there are quite a few citrus fragrances that are very pleasant, I think it is Dior that does something called Escale a Portofino, which is lemony and very fresh.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »
Aren't y'all glad I started this topic?  There are so many yummy answers! 

christinedenice - I don't think citrus would bother me.  I'm more turned off by berries in my fragrance.  I like them fine in my bowl, however. :grin:  I'm concerned about the apple, though - is it very prominent?  I eat apples; don't want to wear them.  All of the other notes sound wonderful - I love woods, musks, and amber.  I'm thinking I absolutely should try the dupe you mentioned, as it's so small a risk.  Thanks, as always, dear! :)

I might need a citrus that is a bit deep and warm so it still feels like me in there. :wink:

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
Listy, I did not detect apple in Light Blue, although it is listed as a top note in the Basenotes description. To me, it smells grapefruity.
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
Ah - grapefruit sounds nice for hot weather.  Thank you. :)

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
Okay, just back from CVS.

I sampled the Perfect Scents Impression of Light Blue, and I do think it is a VERY good dupe of the real thing. Right now at CVS, the PS scents are buy-one-get-one-free  :evil: , so could be a good way to try out the fragrance before committing to the Full Monty version.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Hmm...I wonder if any of the others are good.  I need another one, don't I, to go with it?  Maybe Impression of Glow by J Lo or Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan.  They're both supposed to be light enough for summer.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »
Okay - I ordered three of the Perfect Scents Impressions.  I figure they can entertain me while I ponder a more serious purchase, which I will dither over for a longer time, reading reviews and studying the notes.  I should get samples to see how well they last on my skin, too.

Thanks, christine -- I may not even need anything else for summer!

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:04:27 AM »
Listy, which three did you order?